Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 trunk lid replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would be a fair price for Model 3 trunk lid replacement? It has 2 dents right in the middle and no damage anywhere else. It looks like the replacement is the only option. I talked to a body shop and they plan not only to replace and paint but also do color blending on both sides close to the trunk. Is it really necessary for a little over a one-year-old car?

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 489
Would Tesla maybe have those in stock?

I needed a bumper replacement and an autobody shop wanted $5,000 to fix it and over a week to work on it.

The Tesla center by me had a rear bumper in stock (and in my color) for $900 and could replace it in an hour.

Reactions: ivolvo
What would be a fair price for Model 3 trunk lid replacement? It has 2 dents right in the middle and no damage anywhere else. It looks like the replacement is the only option. I talked to a body shop and they plan not only to replace and paint but also do color blending on both sides close to the trunk. Is it really necessary for a little over a one-year-old car?
If they replace the panel then they will probably have to blend paint to make it appear less oblivious. Even with a proper paint code, panels painted separately from each other can look “off” if not blended.

If they replace the panel then they will probably have to blend paint to make it appear less oblivious. Even with a proper paint code, panels painted separately from each other can look “off” if not blended.
So, you think it is reasonable. It looks like blending is half of the price. There is a gap between a trunk and fenders, I thought that it is sufficient to make the difference not visible. But I really have no idea

This guy replaced his own trunk for $687

It was off of an IIHS crash vehicle and matched perfectly.

I doubt blending is necessary, but it probably depends on the paint color and the conditions the paint has been exposed to for the year you have had the car (if there has been minimal sun exposure it might be ok). It also depends on how picky you are.

Body shops frequently use salvaged parts so it's a smart way to go if you can find what you need (which is clearly a matter of luck).

The advantage of this route is that there is no record of the incident (no diminished value). I don't think anything would go on the vehicle record if it never visits a shop and the claim is a cash payment to the injured party (presumably that's what the poster above did - made a claim of $687 to his insurance company which then extracted it from the at-fault party). (Note that if there is a lien on the vehicle this may not be allowed as there is a lienholder interest...but if you own the car outright it is pretty uncomplicated.)

Last edited:
Reactions: VRUNNER
This guy replaced his own trunk for $687

It was off of an IIHS crash vehicle and matched perfectly.

I doubt blending is necessary, but it probably depends on the paint color and the conditions the paint has been exposed to for the year you have had the car (if there has been minimal sun exposure it might be ok). It also depends on how picky you are.

Body shops frequently use salvaged parts so it's a smart way to go if you can find what you need (which is clearly a matter of luck).

The advantage of this route is that there is no record of the incident (no diminished value). I don't think anything would go on the vehicle record if it never visits a shop and the claim is a cash payment to the injured party (presumably that's what the poster above did - made a claim of $687 to his insurance company which then extracted it from the at-fault party). (Note that if there is a lien on the vehicle this may not be allowed as there is a lienholder interest...but if you own the car outright it is pretty uncomplicated.)

Yup. Worked out perfectly for me!

Definitely luck of the draw on finding a salvage lid the same color as yours but worth a shot. My reasoning was if it didn’t match I would just have it painted and blended as getting a replacement lid from Tesla was 8-10 weeks at the time.

If that doesn’t work you can request to have just the lid painted if you want but if your going through insurance they will require it to be blended.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

I don't mean that it's worth buying just because the inside of the trunk looks cool, my point is that they did a proper job with recreating the trunk in carbon. Many other places/people would only do the OML surface to save money. but instead they did it the right way which means a stiffer and better fitting final product.

The complexity and manufacturing costs for this type of part make it a fairly decent deal IMO, but of course a mass produced metal counterpart will be far cheaper.