Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 turn signal video location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add me to the “does not like “ crew. The additional features aren’t well thought out. There’s a lack of usability testing.
When making a turn the last place I want to direct my attention to is below line of sight. I’m very accustomed to knowing what’s in my blind spot and this isn’t helpful.
The user interface ought to have mission critical controls on the primary screen and allow the driver to configure the remainder.

Upvote 0
For a right turn signal, the best place for the camera display to pop up is the top right of the screen, since that is closest to the sight line from the driver to the right mirror. However, there is no equivalent place for the left turn signal camera display.

For a car designed from the start with cameras instead of side mirrors, the displays can be placed close to where drivers would look for the side mirrors.
a1814755-medium-1561566416.jpg

Upvote 0
3sr+buyer,

That is a good idea about having the right turn signal video show on the top right of the display. I think the left turn signal video should be on the top left, unless it's illegal to cover the speedometer for a few seconds. But Tesla move the speedometer to the center of the display when the left signal video comes up.

Yes, cameras as side mirrors would be best thing. Unfortunately, it's illegal for side mirrors to be a camera only so it would have to be a combo thing in what looks like you showed in that picture. Regulators need to catch up with the technology, although many center mirrors are displays for a rear camera.

But ultimately Tesla took the cheap way out and we could have had a more advanced turn signal system. They didn't even give us 1080p cameras when they had to know the cameras would be used as a dashcam/Sentry thing.

Upvote 0
Was literally just going to post my complaint about the video location when I saw this thread. It blows my mind that the company has the ability to develop and design incredible technology, and then does something as stupid as this. I feel more unsafe using this feature because I'm focusing on repositioning my hands to be able to see the actual video feed. I'm more likely to rear end a car before getting any benefit out of this feature lol

Reactions: Resist
Upvote 0
Was literally just going to post my complaint about the video location when I saw this thread. It blows my mind that the company has the ability to develop and design incredible technology, and then does something as stupid as this.
I know right?! And why would they initially program in rolling stops, when they are completely illegal in every State, no matter how safely they can be done. I'm really starting to think that Tesla doesn't hire smart people. And while Elon's vision only FSD sounds like a good idea, unfortunately they no where near close to reaching it. Tesla needs more sensors on their cars, until they can perfect the software. We already have completely driverless taxi's because they use a lot of sensors to make them safe. They don't need LIDAR but they do need FLIR.

Reactions: dgoodlan
Upvote 0
I know right?! And why would they initially program in rolling stops, when they are completely illegal in every State, no matter how safely they can be done. I'm really starting to think that Tesla doesn't hire smart people. And while Elon's vision only FSD sounds like a good idea, unfortunately they no where near close to reaching it. Tesla needs more sensors on their cars, until they can perfect the software. We already have completely driverless taxi's because they use a lot of sensors to make them safe. They don't need LIDAR but they do need FLIR.
I agree, the software is still too inconsistent. I didn't really have huge expectations for basic autopilot, but I am underwhelmed by the camera system in general while driving. My 2018 civic had a better turn signal video system.

Reactions: Resist
Upvote 0
with the latest updates in the last couple of months, we now have the option of locating the turn signal video location in 3 spots. That is good, but I would still like to have the option of using the whole map area as the video. While I am using the turn signal, there is NO WAY that I am also reading the map or using my radio or spotify apps. Please give the option of of a large video that will help everyone to clearly see what is on their left or right when the turn signal is on.

Reactions: PianoAl
Upvote 0
I agree, the software is still too inconsistent. I didn't really have huge expectations for basic autopilot, but I am underwhelmed by the camera system in general while driving. My 2018 civic had a better turn signal video system.
To be fair, the camera's Tesla uses were not intended for video with turn signals or even dash cam or sentry video. That was an after thought, although you'd think all those smart people at Tesla would have thought ahead and used at least cameras with 1080p resolution.

Upvote 0
To be fair, the camera's Tesla uses were not intended for video with turn signals or even dash cam or sentry video. That was an after thought, although you'd think all those smart people at Tesla would have thought ahead and used at least cameras with 1080p resolution.
That is what they are supposed to be this year or next as they signed a deal with Samsung for 4mp cameras

Upvote 0
with the latest updates in the last couple of months, we now have the option of locating the turn signal video location in 3 spots. That is good, but I would still like to have the option of using the whole map area as the video. While I am using the turn signal, there is NO WAY that I am also reading the map or using my radio or spotify apps. Please give the option of of a large video that will help everyone to clearly see what is on their left or right when the turn signal is on.
How do you move the blind spot display? I looked through all the setting and did not find the answer.

Upvote 0
3sr+buyer,

That is a good idea about having the right turn signal video show on the top right of the display. I think the left turn signal video should be on the top left, unless it's illegal to cover the speedometer for a few seconds. But Tesla move the speedometer to the center of the display when the left signal video comes up.

Yes, cameras as side mirrors would be best thing. Unfortunately, it's illegal for side mirrors to be a camera only so it would have to be a combo thing in what looks like you showed in that picture. Regulators need to catch up with the technology, although many center mirrors are displays for a rear camera.

But ultimately Tesla took the cheap way out and we could have had a more advanced turn signal system. They didn't even give us 1080p cameras when they had to know the cameras would be used as a dashcam/Sentry thing.
Exactly

Upvote 0