Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 UK reservation holders

Teslas in the UK

• I own a Model S in the UK

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I own a Model X in the UK

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have a Model 3 reserved in the UK

Votes: 50 64.1%
  • I hope to own a Tesla one day in the UK

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Been reading this forum for a while now, finally got round to signing up.

Just wondering if there's (m)any other UK based Model 3 reservation holders on here? Also what the anticipation is in terms of cost (monthly cost on PCP or whatever Tesla offers)?

I jumped on the bandwagon and reserved early on - though I suspect by the time the Model 3 is available in the UK there won't be too much of a wait even for non-reservation holders, if production is up to capacity by then.

I'm not set on getting one (though would definitely be my preference) - I would really just like a family sized electric car that can do a real-world 200 miles, so it will be interesting to see what Nissan and Hyundai come out with in the next year or so.

Mark

I would really just like a family sized electric car that can do a real-world 200 miles

I've been reading threads about the Bolt, not that I am interested to have one, but I am interested in what foibles a first-release long range EV has.

Lets say that Bolt and M3 can do 250 Wh/mile and MS is 350 (given a warm spring day ...). That's equivalent to a difference of 50 MPG and 70MPG ... which is not particularly great for comparison of frugal hatchback and big heavy gas guzzler, Petrol cars have far greater difference between Top and Bottom of the list ... so in Energy Use terms there isn't, currently, much difference between performance and economy. Plus Electricity is a quarter of the price of Petrol ... so it makes Performance more affordable (if that's on your list)

I'm also interested in how fast they charge. Of course plug in at home and so long as it is capable of recharging overnight you've perhaps not got much to worry about. But the fast charging of Bolt seems to be disappointing. Not only have there been capital-cost savings in the onboard charger (resulting in slower max-rate of charge), it seems that the battery charge tapers off quite early and significantly, meaning that a road-trip charge is a painful experience (even assuming that a suitable high speed "pump" can be found, which of course is a problem Tesla has already solved for most journeys). If you will never drive out-of-range that's a non-issue.

Most of my Supercharger visits have been "just enough to complete journey", so usually 5 or 10 minutes (i.e. 25 - 50 miles), which is a bit different to a road-trip across the USA or down to the South of France of course, but I suspect typical of UK journeys (e.g. London to York would be a 10 minute splash-and-dash for me on top of 3 hours driving - just enough time for a Pee and getting a Coffee and, of course, a sensible break in the middle of my journey)

Next up for me would be battery degradation. Tesla seems to handle this extremely well with their battery management heating / cooling. Leaf seems to be atrocious, even in the current version, dramatically reducing battery range after a few years ... I'm surprised that Leaf has not addressed both Range and Degradation more significantly in the current model.

The boot on the M3, and lack of a Hatchback (until Model-Y comes along ...) may be the most major turnoff for Tesla owners in the short term. Bjorn has some recent YouTubes of M3 from his recent visit to USA where he test drove You You Xue's vehicle (You You Xue is bringing his M3 to UK in March if you want to see one close-up) and the boot seemed plenty big enough, it has a cavity under the "floor", so that's probably just a question of "access" for tall cargo (compared to hatchback).

Personally I think the tech lead that Tesla have makes it a safer purchase, albeit that the company is small and getting a service centre appointment can involve a significant wait, and replacement panels for accident damage take too long too (I don't know about the other makes, if they are small volume manufacturing they may have supply problems too? but their nationwide network of service centres should at least offset part of the Tesla-service-congestion problem).

I like the OTA updates on the Tesla (not withstanding that there have been changes that I don't like, and specifically are contrary to the reason I bought the car, which is annoying) as in addition to niggle-fixes they have added several features and improvements to the car in the time of my ownership. In all the years I owned VWs they never once offered me a SatNav map update, even for Real Money ... in Tesla they now arrive several times a year ...

I like the remote API access too. Its partly gimmick, but actually I use most of it at some point or other, and some of it all the time. I never thought I would need remote "Toot the horn" until I parked in a huge feature-less field at Hendon and then needed to find my car. Phone APP provides walk-to-car map, so that helped, and when I got close I did indeed do "toot horn" - which made some other people walking through the car park jump! But using APP to schedule car climate each morning before I leave for work, and on return home in the evening (depending on location where the car is parked, and whether its plugged in or not) is one of those things, like Electric Windows and Central Locking, that I never knew I needed until the first car I owned that had it :) - no need to scrape the ice off in the morning, or sit shivering for the first few miles ... and when I get up from my table at a restaurant etc. I can put the climate on, from my phone, so its ready by the time I get to the car. Very nice to have.

I also have a data-logging APP which records all my journeys. Partly that's the Geek in me, but also handy for business mileage and the like.

One of the biggest joys of Tesla is Autopilot. I have a 5 mile drive to dual carriageway, and most of my journeys are therefore predominantly dual carriageway. I have a common journey that I drive leaving at 9:30 PM and arriving home at 11PM. In the past with ICE I was always fighting sleep for the last few miles of dual carriageway, that hasn't happened once in 18 months use of AP. Similarly a daytime drive from Cambridge to Bristol, and sometimes back in the same day. I arrive far more refreshed than I used to. Brilliant for just cruise along motorway, and also for bumper-to-bumper traffic. So if that's matches your frequent driving conditions I would strongly recommend that. It needs TACC that can come to a complete standstill and set off again (for stop-start traffic) and ability to stay in lane. Doesn't necessarily need self-driving for that of course. I personally don't use AP on single carriageway roads, but when I do (usually to DEMO to someone) everyone is astonished that it will happily drive around a double-bend :) so that's definitely the future, but here, and right now :)

Those features are ones I now want in any future car, and Tesla's lead in EV Tech suggests to me that, until other brands are on Version 2 or 3, I'd be better off not even considering them.

Last edited:
Hey.

I was going to reserve a model3 but after an X test drive I’m seriously stuck... I think a reservation for the 3 is a good idea because Tesla are planning on increaseing their showrooms 3-gold with model 3 specific showrooms across the UK ahead of the launch and first delivery of them here in the UK so I expect demand will rocket near the time especially when “if” the price is in the ballpark of a Nissan Leaf.

I reckon the base price will be very high 20k’s or low 30’s but I expect they will try and keep below the 40k cap that’s now in place for road tax

There is also the question, will the UK government still be offering the £4,500 grant on EVs if not the model 3 may still be a little out of the range of “the masses” :(

P.s I’m a massive Nissan fan but I’m not saying the new leaf is the same spec or quality of the model 3 just that they will have a similar target audience.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The boot on the M3, and lack of a Hatchback (until Model-Y comes along ...) may be the most major turnoff for Tesla owners in the short term. Bjorn has some recent YouTubes of M3 from his recent visit to USA where he test drove You You Xue's vehicle (You You Xue is bringing his M3 to UK in March if you want to see one close-up) and the boot seemed plenty big enough, it has a cavity under the "floor", so that's probably just a question of "access" for tall cargo (compared to hatchback).

Thanks for the informative post, you make a good case for Tesla! The boot is probably my biggest (only?) concern about the model 3. I think it will most likely be big enough for what I need, but I do enjoy the convenience of a hatch - being able to chuck big stuff in easily.

I'm awaiting updates on You You's visit, hopefully I will be able to make it to one of the stops to take a look.

Hey.

I was going to reserve a model3 but after an X test drive I’m seriously stuck... I think a reservation for the 3 is a good idea because Tesla are planning on increaseing their showrooms 3-gold with model 3 specific showrooms across the UK ahead of the launch and first delivery of them here in the UK so I expect demand will rocket near the time especially when “if” the price is in the ballpark of a Nissan Leaf.

I reckon the base price will be very high 20k’s or low 30’s but I expect they will try and keep below the 40k cap that’s now in place for road tax

There is also the question, will the UK government still be offering the £4,500 grant on EVs if not the model 3 may still be a little out of the range of “the masses” :(

P.s I’m a massive Nissan fan but I’m not saying the new leaf is the same spec or quality of the model 3 just that they will have a similar target audience.

Where did you hear about the increase in show rooms/model 3 only ones? Sounds interesting.

The grant is meant to last until at least 2020 so with any luck it will still be available. With the push to reduce pollution at the moment I don't think they'll stop it anytime soon.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
what do people think the UK pricing will be for the Model 3?
I used data from the Model S and X, did a bit of guestimating and number crunching to come out with the results here:
Model 3 UK Pricing.png

However, I don't really think they will be this low - have I missed anything out?
I'm guessing it's going to be more like £31,000, £35,000, £41,000, £45,000, £65,000

My wife was thinking of getting an M3 as a second car, but now thinking of hanging on for the Model Y and getting at the front of that waiting list when announced. The Model X is just amazing, so our appetite for a second smaller Tesla is now pretty strong. While I quite like the new Nissan Leaf, it's a bit slow and mundane for my liking. I think the Tesla M3 is a much more exciting and interesting car, although I expect it will be quite a lot more expensive than a Leaf.

hanging on for the Model Y and getting at the front of that waiting list when announced

I don't think early registration is worthwhile. Left Hand Drive and UK availability will be behind high-spec models in USA first, to provide some quick pay-back on investment, then bare-bones model, and then Foreign .. .,and then Right Hand Drive. On the up-side: by then initial teething problem should have been solved, but production will be at full tilt by then and I expert that time between Order and Deliver will be short ... whereas a day-one registration will have come maybe a month earlier, but tied up your money for a couple of years at least ...

... currently in USA if you are a Tesla-owner and order an M3 you have only got normal delivery time, no more, to wait. That favoured-customer status may also apply when M3 ships in UK, and perhaps to Model-Y too ...

... in UK we could be 5 years away from model-Y arrival ...

I've got two scenarios (one is the obvious elderly relatives, living deep in the countryside) which would hugely benefit from FSD. If that was available, and also a 300 mile range, I'd buy that today - whatever brand it was (except anything from VW stable ... I'm never buying from them again).

what do people think the UK pricing will be for the Model 3?
I used data from the Model S and X, did a bit of guestimating and number crunching to come out with the results here:View attachment 286851
However, I don't really think they will be this low - have I missed anything out?
I'm guessing it's going to be more like £31,000, £35,000, £41,000, £45,000, £65,000
That's an interesting analysis. Do your US figures include US taxes (which I think are state dependent)?

Hi all,

Been reading this forum for a while now, finally got round to signing up.

Just wondering if there's (m)any other UK based Model 3 reservation holders on here? Also what the anticipation is in terms of cost (monthly cost on PCP or whatever Tesla offers)?

I jumped on the bandwagon and reserved early on - though I suspect by the time the Model 3 is available in the UK there won't be too much of a wait even for non-reservation holders, if production is up to capacity by then.

I'm not set on getting one (though would definitely be my preference) - I would really just like a family sized electric car that can do a real-world 200 miles, so it will be interesting to see what Nissan and Hyundai come out with in the next year or so.

Mark
Hi Mark, yes, I'm a Model 3 reservation holder. Feels like a long and lonely road at the moment so glad I found this forum. Apparently Elon has indicated mid 2019 for RHD M3s which isn't encouraging. There's a Bloomberg production estimator tool which is quite interesting :
We Set Out to Crack Tesla's Biggest Mystery: How Many Model 3s It's Making

Although it's aggregated over previous weeks, there seems to be a marked upshift recently - I live in hope
Martin

there seems to be a marked upshift recently

Ramp-up Targets have been missed a few times but, whilst disappointing, have been met after some delay. But that has caused reservation holders who are not high on the list (prepared to pay for a high-end model, have priority as an existing Tesla Owner, live in an appropriate US state, or country next-in-line such as Canada) to get notice that their delivery has been pushed back - "significantly" even.

Tesla must be on the brink of being able to move the Ramp-up to 2,500 per week. They are at 200 a day at present (dunno if they are 7-day working, or 5-day week)

Tesla says Model 3 production at ‘over 200 units per day’, pushing to get to 2,500 units/week, says report

RHD is going to be "some time". Past experience suggests that Tesla will sell highest profit models first, however by the time that UK sales start they will be making both High-end and Low-end models in volume, so probably no difference whether you are existing, priority-customer, Tesla-owner, or just want the cheapest model ...

You could consider a 2nd-hand Model-S in the meantime? Which would likely have lifetime free Supercharging ... although that may not be worth much to you. A couple of times a month is maybe £100 p.a.

You could consider a 2nd-hand Model-S in the meantime? Which would likely have lifetime free Supercharging ... although that may not be worth much to you. A couple of times a month is maybe £100 p.a.

I think I'll dial down the anticipation, at this rate I'll burn out, or at least run out of youTube reviews to watch. A used Model S isn't a bad idea but there prices are SO high. I can't bring myself to consider a three year old car for £50k, too much, plus no EV rebate.

I can't bring myself to consider a three year old car for £50k

The maths might work if you are a high mileage driver, particularly if you can charge at work for free (e.g. you are owner-manager) - and if that's the case maybe the 100% first year write-off works for you too (dunno if that applies to 2nd hand EVs though?).

With good rates for Electricity (e.g. charge overnight using E7 @ Home) a rough rule-of-thumb is that you save £100 per month [on "fuel"] for each 10,000 miles you drive p.a. At 20-30K miles a year that's a reasonable chunk-of-change to put into a finance package.

But, yeah, we're not at the cheap end of the spectrum I'm afraid ...

UK Model 3 reservations

So we really have no idea how many there are ....
Or how many will want the higher spec
Or (and more interestingly for us in the UK ) if Tesla might ship the higher spec here sooner to get much needed revenue rather than selling the $35k in the US with lower profit margin ?

Or shall I just dream on ?

UK Model 3 reservations

So we really have no idea how many there are ....
Or how many will want the higher spec
Or (and more interestingly for us in the UK ) if Tesla might ship the higher spec here sooner to get much needed revenue rather than selling the $35k in the US with lower profit margin ?

Or shall I just dream on ?

Sadly I think right-hand drive will be the very last variant of the Model 3 to become available...but who knows.

I recon theirs 10-15k reservation holders in the UK, wild guess!!