Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 USB-C retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Hi,

Just thought I'd link to this discussion which I've been following:

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

In a nutshell, the current (although probably not deliveries in the next few months) Model 3 has USB-A ports at the front of the car in the centre console, and at the rear.

These ports work just fine, but they don't provide a huge amount of watts/amps. This is less of an issue for iPhones I think as they can't charge at more than 7.5W anyway, but if you're plugging several things in it could become an issue.

Anyway, the linked thread is an investigation by some clever chaps who have basically discovered - as one might expect - that the USB-C parts (which also support PD) look like they are straight swap replacements. There would be some work involved of course, but no actual modifications to the car.

Just thought I'd link it in case anyone else wanted to keep tabs on it. If Tesla offer a retrofit of this, or even if I can convince a SC to do it and the cost isn't too great, I'd be up for doing it I think.

Thanks for the info. It's always good to know this stuff but I think it is probably OTT for most
if you want a cheaper, easier, less risky solution. spend £20 on a power bank that supports qualcomm QC3. connect the car to the power bank and the powerbank to your wireless charger (assume if that is what you want it for) and voila fast wireless charging.
Alternatively, and even cheaper, you can just get a QC3 charger that plugs into the accessory socket and connect straight to the phone with a cable. I have done that for "emergencies" where I need a fast charge. not needed it yet

Reactions: Watts_Up and Jez_GB
Yeah, I was thinking of the power bank route. I just like upgrades, so if there was a way to update the car and it didn't cost the earth (or better still was an actual official retrofit) I'd likely go for it, but yeah I take your point.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Official retrofit? No, and unlikely to ever happen.

The linked thread at the top is where all of the development has happened. There was work done by another guy on a German Tesla forum too. Long story short, there are now plug and play connectors that will convert the old loom connector to the new one, which will then plug into the replacement USB hub, etc.

From what I gather tests have been done and the old loom, etc seems to handle the additional voltage/amperage without issue.

Replacing the rear ports appears to be pretty trivial, but replacing the front does involve removing some parts of the centre console tunnel. Nothing too dramatic though.

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
Reading the last page of the post at the top, I’m seriously tempted to do this. I don’t use the (Jeda) wireless charger much, but when I do it would be handy to be able to charge faster, although the inline battery pack idea would be just as effective for that.

Might investigate the parts cost from Tesla.

Yup that’s the same guy as one of the last posts in the thread I linked.

Why do you think the parts wouldn’t be available? They might not be available in the UK but could be acquired, I’m sure, after all it’s nothing that Sept-on UK cars don’t have.
I hope I'm wrong.

Just doubtful that Tesla UK would have the parts available for retail here, and if not, would they arrange shipping from the US to the UK given that it's not a warranty issue and parts that they are obliged to provide.

I'm also interested in this upgrade, just doubt the right bits are available at the moment.

Reactions: Durzel
Quick update. Despite the email I received, I contacted Parts directly on the phone just to double check, and was surprised to find out that they do actually have stock of all of the items, albeit dotted around Europe. Only one of the parts (the rear vents) is not in the UK. Hmm!

I'm pretty keen to go ahead and do this now. I don't use wireless charging much currently, but who knows what will happen during my time owning the car.

Looking at what's involved, it actually looks a lot easier than I thought. Seems like there's basically 4-6 bolts holding the entire centre console in - might mean people can upgrade the whole thing if they prefer the 2021-on version?

I'm just waiting for parts to come back with an estimate of costs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Medved_77
So, I've received an estimate - £325.00 in parts to upgrade the pre-June 2020 Model 3 USB to post-June spec, fully OEM. Would be cheaper (£140.83 total) if you already have a wireless charging mat and want to use that instead.

Parts cost breakdown:

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 12.23.47.png

I've already got a Jeda wireless mat & hub that I'll have to sell on, but have pulled the trigger on the above and am keen to try it out :) I like the idea of upgrading my car to be closer to the current spec.

Unfortunately, the rear USB ports assembly is actually not available (the 1 in Europe is allocated to another car :( ) so will be a short while before I can actually progress it.

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and Medved_77
So, I've received an estimate - £325.00 in parts to upgrade the pre-June 2020 Model 3 USB to post-June spec, fully OEM. Would be cheaper (£140.83 total) if you already have a wireless charging mat and want to use that instead.

Parts cost breakdown:

View attachment 602518

I've already got a Jeda wireless mat & hub that I'll have to sell on, but have pulled the trigger on the above and am keen to try it out :) I like the idea of upgrading my car to be closer to the current spec.

Unfortunately, the rear USB ports assembly is actually not available (the 1 in Europe is allocated to another car :( ) so will be a short while before I can actually progress it.
And guess you'll need the two cable adapter solution things at £15 each. Then a new hub that's designed for the new spec. So around £400 less whatever you recoup from the Jeda products?

I really like the fact that there's an upgrade path for most of the new functionality coming out (heatpump excluded I guess) , even though it'll cost a bit.

Yeah, two cable adapter things from here - Tesla Model 3 (2017-2020) USB C Retrofit Adapter | eBay

You're probably about right with the £400 less whatever I'd get selling my existing Jeda hub & charging mat. It's a decent amount of money for something that you may or may not even notice, that's for sure, but I do like the idea of fitting it and bringing it up to spec.
Might be worth waiting and see what’s different in latest refresh including USB in glovebox if you’re wanting to stay current OEM spec..

Which makes me think.. will the model Y get a refresh with the new centre console design

The 2021 spec moves the USB ports completely, and I suspect routing a third USB port to the glovebox is not trivial. I would think the loom for the left hand side of the car is quite a bit different.

The beauty of this retrofit, to me, is that it’s pretty trivial. Swapping the rear ports is from what I gather a 2 minute job. The front is a little more involved but only from the work in getting access to the hub.

I don’t expect many things from the 2021 car to be retrofittable, certainly not officially. I’m also not a big fan of the revised centre console either, although I’d be interested in the “extended leather” side bits if they’re easily switchable.

Reactions: CMc1
I’d be interested in the “extended leather” side bits
What are these extended leather bits you mention?

Im learning so much on this thread. £400 is a little too rich for me for what is achieved. I found the thread becuase im going to try and turn things wireless through the new iphone 12 and magsafe charger. The magsafe charger has usb C and can charge up to 18w. For what I am looking for, what would you suggest? what output is the usb a port? ie if i just added an adapter, would that charge at 10w? or is it as low as 5? what is the output of the usb C port in the refreshed version?