Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

capability of center console USB-C plugs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I tested the USB-C plugs on my 2023 MYP. The result is a little disappointing. The two inside the console are 36 Watt max PD. They go up to 12 V 3Amp.
The two at the end for the rear passengers only support 27 Watt. Max 9 Volt at 3 Amp.

It's also disappointing that they don't support any other protocols. I will probably replace them with small PD boards that support higher power and other protocols.

I have the entire wire harness taken out. There is no data lines to any of the USB ports.

IMG_1957.jpeg
IMG_1956.jpeg

I tested the USB-C plugs on my 2023 MYP. The result is a little disappointing. The two inside the console are 36 Watt max PD. They go up to 12 V 3Amp.
The two at the end for the rear passengers only support 27 Watt. Max 9 Volt at 3 Amp.

It's also disappointing that they don't support any other protocols. I will probably replace them with small PD boards that support higher power and other protocols.

I have the entire wire harness taken out. There is no data lines to any of the USB ports.

View attachment 1021014View attachment 1021015
If you replace the ports with higher power versions, how will you ensure this doesn't overload something? I'd love higher power as well, but in reality I haven't found a serious need for this in my own usage.

Two alternative ideas tho if you seriously need 100W PD charging.

1. Use a USB-C battery with 100W out as a passthrough. The USB-C port of the car can continually top off the battery, and the battery can serve as a high power source for a laptop for some length of time ... presumably enough for your needs.
2. Use the 12V/15V socket to power a 100W USB-C charger. It's right there in the armrest.

You are right, you can't just install four 100 Watt PD ports and then continuously draw that. The wiring isn't made for that. One or two should be fine considering you are not drawing full power from both constantly. I just want a more capable PD port when I need it If you add up all ports, wireless charging and the 12 V outlet, you get more than 300 Watt total. If I have two 100 Watt PD ports, it should be fine.