Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 used - what things to look for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Been a while since I’ve been back here. I used to own a model 3 in 2017 but sold it after a year due to multiple reasons. Was a fan of the car though. I’m in the Bay Area now and thinking off getting my parents a used model 3. I’m wondering if ppl have certain recommendations on model years to target, below certain miles and features to look for.

I had the dual motor AWD with the bigger battery and it was plenty fast. I’m thinking RWD will be just fine, no real need for AWD. About the battery, not sure if I should target long range. Also RWD long range are probably hard to find.

I also forget what all auto pilot options are available now. I think I had the EAP. That or something similar would work. Blind spot, surround view cameras and parking sensors are a must for the parents.

I would think maybe : 2019, < 40-50k miles, $25-30K
All feedback appreciated. Thanks!

If your budget goes to $30K and the owner can qualify for the $7500 tax credit, a brand new 2023 model can be had for $30,400.

1700868250891.png

Reactions: aztm3 and afadeev
New model 3 RWD from inventory can be had for around $30k as @Gauss Guzzler mentioned. I blew my tax liability refund on solar this year so I ended up getting a 2022 M3 LR AWD with <20k miles and USS for $36k out-the-door instead. Main things I checked for:

• Clean history (Carfax & Autocheck)
  • Physically inspected for signs of accident or glass damage
  • Verified that previous owner logged out and factory reset vehicle
  • Verified that tire tread was wearing evenly and at least 4/32"
  • Verified that doors/trunk/frunk/windows/mirror/steering wheel/chairs are operational
  • Verified that the vehicle drove normally (including autopilot functionality)

Obviously there's more things to look out for, but I just did the above and YOLO'd it since the price was right and the dealership I purchased from specialized in EVs and had decent reviews. It was a ~300 mile trip back home and the factory reset is extremely important because you will not be able to supercharge if the previous owner's info is still attached to the Tesla!

Reactions: aztm3
Seems like right now new is the way to go from the comments I see. A few more questions.

My parents will qualify for the tax credit. Are the now providing the credit at they point of sale or when you file taxes?

Used car registration will be less vs getting it new. Or doesn’t matter since it’s calculated at MSRP?

Also, RWD range plus should be the sweet spot? Any regrets from ppl not getting long range? I understand different use cases for different people.

Thanks!

Last edited: