Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Depreciation on a used Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it will tend to hold value pretty well, a significant issue is that the battery warranty will end after 8 years.

To what extent would this affect the value of the car? What’s the life expectancy of a Model 3 LR battery?

My cousin bought a new 2018 RWD LR new. I am not sure what he paid but whatever MSRP was back then. He just traded it in on a new one and they gave him $22K with 66,000 miles on it.

If you know anyone who has a 2018 RWD LR, please lmk. I would’ve paid $25k for your cousin’s car with that mileage.

To what extent would this affect the value of the car? What’s the life expectancy of a Model 3 LR battery?

If you know anyone who has a 2018 RWD LR, please lmk. I would’ve paid $25k for your cousin’s car with that mileage.
Many used car buyers will pay more for a vehicle with some remaining factory warranty, than for one where the warranty has expired. This way, if they find something wrong with the used car, they can have it repaired under warranty, instead of from their wallet.

If you are able to benefit from current Tax Credits and State/Utility rebates, buying a new car can often be the "best value".

Small, profitable business owners can often purchase a new S/X at a lower net cost than buying a 3/y. Individual circumstances often determine where the best value lies.

For the OP, a big consideration is the warranty on a new car. Your mileage will be high. I had 2018 M3 and replaced it with a late 2022 and the new one is s lot nicer - long list of small improvements add up. I like the LFP, I am seeing better reliability in predicted range and like charging to 100%.

Reactions: kpanda17