Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 will not shift to park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....You're not getting anything additional by holding the button in, but there's of course no harm in doing so either!
....but you are. You are getting an indicator Icon. :eek: Why not just turn on the Parking Brake Icon when you put in Park and be done with the programing. Why go to the trouble of programing a Hold for Parking Brake feature in the code that is redundant and doesn't really do anything? And why would it activate the actuator again if it is already done?

Because holding the stalk button will also perform the same operation if the car's mode selector is in R, D, or N rather than P.

Yes, one bleary-eyed morning I did come to a (briefly) screeching halt from 5MPH when I thought I was activating the winsdcreen washers.

Reactions: dmurphy
Tapping the button will put the mechanical parking brake on on the rear wheels anytime except when you are in motion. If you hold it in while in motion it performs the function of an emergency brake quite violently. It's the same system used for hill hold driving.

Reactions: android04
....but you are. You are getting an indicator Icon. :eek: Why not just turn on the Parking Brake Icon when you put in Park and be done with the programing. Why go to the trouble of programing a Hold for Parking Brake feature in the code that is redundant and doesn't really do anything? And why would it activate the actuator again if it is already done?
I think it's to function as an emergency brake also (meaning as others mentioned it can be activated in any mode, including D/N/R). This is apparently required in some states as part of their driving test, so they must have that functionality (tester must be able to activate it during test). I didn't know about this until reading the recent thread below.
NJ Driver's License Road Test using Model 3?
The indicator light showing up is reflective of this, as it's the same as in conventional ICE cars.

It should be easy to test both cases to see if the parking brake is applied in both cases. Just disable hill hold (set to "Roll mode" and check the car rolls when in neutral) see if the car rolls on an incline in either case after it shuts off.

BTW I just heard your video and the whirling sound when you press the p button is likely the screw drive mechanism of the parking brake, and the clicking sound when you hold it is as other person said, likely because it was already actuated. Another test I just thought of is after disabling hold, to try the same thing in Neutral (where presumably parking brake would not be automatically be engaged). If you here a whirling sound also, that means that's definitely the parking brake sound.

Last edited:
Interesting read of the parking brake info which was a slight different topic. But interesting nonetheless.

While I don't know the exact mechanism of the parking brake operation, I just drive my M3P the way it is without thinking too much. And I believe it was the idea Tesla has in mind that everything is simple on user's end and leave the rest to the tesla engineers. But if course, there are enthusiasts who likes to know the car inside out.

And back to my original topic, I brought the car to Fremont SC where my car was manufactured. Tesla replaced the steering column control module in less than 4 hr and the stalk is working fine now. My usage model of the car is the same way I do with ICE car. Just put the car in park (press stalk once) with flat road. Press and hold the the stalk for parking brake light to come on when car is on hill.

Attached is the receipt from Tesla if anyone is interested, and it is covered under warranty.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210203-223910_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210203-223910_Samsung Internet.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 103
Anybody who owns or has owned a car with electric parking brake, knows the unmistakable noise it makes when engaged. Every time you hit P on the Tesla, that's exactly the sound you hear every time. Sometimes my car lights up the parking brake symbol, and others it doesn't. I think when you open the door without engaging P it does. But it doesn't matter; it's already engaged. And yes, when you hold the button when already in P, the parking brake symbol not lit up, and you don't need extra clamping force, you only hear a quick 'click', and the symbol lights up... but it obviously doesn't do anything 'extra' because it's not needed. But that's exactly what you need to do in ALL cars with electric parking brakes if you need more clamping force (like on a steep incline). Give it a try if you don't believe me :).

Bottom line is it's totally unnecessary to hold parking button for 2 seconds, or go to the security screen to engage it, unless P is not holding the car in place.