Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Window Tinting - Llumar or Xpel?

Which window film should I install on Model 3?

• Llumar

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • Xpel

Votes: 21 47.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Llumar or Xpel a better brand for tinting the Model 3 glass?

I’m planning on installing 30-50% glass tint film on side windows, rear glass, and sunroof with 70-80% clear on windshield.

I like the appearance of both Llumar and Xpel from the outside, but I want the best performing film for heat rejection and glare reduction with the highest reliability while maximizing visibility and clarity from inside of the car both during the day and at night.
Reliability and visibility are most important.

Please share your experiences, suggestions, and I’d you have had any issues (I.e fading, scratching, pealing) with either brands on your Tesla.

Would also appreciate any recommendations for the installer you used if based in Southern California.

Another vote for Xpel Prime XR Plus. I had 55% installed on all windows except for the front windshield and the small window directly above the driver's head. My car is parked outside 24/7 and there have been zero problems with the tint. I have noticed a pronounced improvement in heat reduction. The AC works more efficiently.

I highly recommend the shop that installed it, Sunshield Window Tinting in Sherman Oaks CA (818) 906-8468.

Xpel has a great reputation for standing behind their products. I also have Xpel PPF and feel good knowing that if there is a problem, Xpel will step up to the plate and take care of it.

Reactions: acebrigade
On topic but slightly off.. im looking into llumar. I want clear "tint"..I like the look of no tint but want to protect the interior. Anyone have experience with this?

Yep, that's why I went with 55% Xpel Prime XR Plus. The 55% is a very light tint but you still get benefit of heat rejection and UV protection.

If you want even less of a tint, you could go with 70%.

Reactions: XLR82XS
What specific films are you looking at? You can't compare two entire companies like that. Go on their respective sites and look up the technical data for each film. Total solar energy rejection (TSER) is the metric to look at in terms of heat rejection.

IMO, top of the line tint is a waste of money on a car that lets you turn on the AC in advance.

What specific films are you looking at? You can't compare two entire companies like that. Go on their respective sites and look up the technical data for each film. Total solar energy rejection (TSER) is the metric to look at in terms of heat rejection.

IMO, top of the line tint is a waste of money on a car that lets you turn on the AC in advance.

I totally agree with your recommendation to go to the manufacturer websites and compare technical specifications/data.

However, I don't think a top of the line ceramic tint is a waste of money. First, these films will block out most UV rays. For a car that is parked outside most of the time, this can make a huge difference in reducing damage to the car's interior. Second, with these tints installed, your car's AC compressor will turn on less often and not have to work as hard to keep your car cool. Over the course of several years, the tint will save a lot of wear and tear on your AC compressor.

Does anyone have picture of Xpel xr plus with white interior? Do you have reflection in front window?

The biggest factor in whether or not you are going to have an issue with the reflection of the interior, especially the white dash, is how dark the tint is. That is another reason I went with a lighter tint (55%). The darker and lower the tint percentage you go, the more of an issue you may have with the reflection issue.

Here is a helpful video about tinting your windows in a Model 3:

I totally agree with your recommendation to go to the manufacturer websites and compare technical specifications/data.

However, I don't think a top of the line ceramic tint is a waste of money. First, these films will block out most UV rays. For a car that is parked outside most of the time, this can make a huge difference in reducing damage to the car's interior. Second, with these tints installed, your car's AC compressor will turn on less often and not have to work as hard to keep your car cool. Over the course of several years, the tint will save a lot of wear and tear on your AC compressor.

+1 on this.

Both of these companies (xpel / lumar) as well as others make tint "families" that have various properties and costs. Have to compare tint "family" to "family" in similar cost brakcets.

Also, the skill of the installer is more important than the type of tint in my opinion. Pick your installer, see their work if you dont have a history with them, then pick tint that they install in the family / price point they sell.

High end tint and crappy installer = very unhappy owner. A good tint shop will do a good job using any of the products they carry / support. They should also be able to recommend something in the same quality if they dont carry what you want.

Focus on the installer and then the price point. The tint will dictate itself from those choices.

In my specific case, I have an installer local to me that has done my cars for the last 15 years or so (multiple different BMWs that I had on 3 year lease cycles). When I got my model 3, they told me that they had done about 20-30 of them so were familiar with it. I sort of wanted the highest end xpel but they didnt sell that... so I went with 3m Crystalline which they did sell and they recommended in the higher end category.

Very happy with it 18 months later, no issues.

Every single film blocks out UV rays — that's not a selling point for the $1,000+ films. There is negligible difference on the wear of your AC compressor between a film with TSER of 50% and 60%.

Maybe if you live in one of the most climate neutral friendly places in the US (san diego). Even where I live in Temecula (commute to North county for work), having good tint makes a difference... especially in this car with its HUGE pieces of glass.

Maybe if you live in one of the most climate neutral friendly places in the US (san diego). Even where I live in Temecula (commute to North county for work), having good tint makes a difference... especially in this car with its HUGE pieces of glass.

Right, I'm not say saying it's not worth getting a good tint. I'm saying you probably don't need a $1,500 tint vs. a $650 tint. OP also lives in Southern California.

+1 on this.

Both of these companies (xpel / lumar) as well as others make tint "families" that have various properties and costs. Have to compare tint "family" to "family" in similar cost brakcets.

Also, the skill of the installer is more important than the type of tint in my opinion. Pick your installer, see their work if you dont have a history with them, then pick tint that they install in the family / price point they sell.

High end tint and crappy installer = very unhappy owner. A good tint shop will do a good job using any of the products they carry / support. They should also be able to recommend something in the same quality if they dont carry what you want.

Focus on the installer and then the price point. The tint will dictate itself from those choices.

In my specific case, I have an installer local to me that has done my cars for the last 15 years or so (multiple different BMWs that I had on 3 year lease cycles). When I got my model 3, they told me that they had done about 20-30 of them so were familiar with it. I sort of wanted the highest end xpel but they didnt sell that... so I went with 3m Crystalline which they did sell and they recommended in the higher end category.

Very happy with it 18 months later, no issues.
What’s the name of the shop?

What’s the name of the shop?
temecula autoglass.JPG

White interior on a 2021

I chose 15% Llumar IRX all around including 1 piece rear.

I just scheduled 50% Llumar IRX for full windshield as the interior is much cooler with the sides send rear but still feel a ton of heat from the large front piece of glass. Plus keeps better care of your dash, steering wheel and I would assume keeping some heat off the rear of the touchscreen, especially in this FL heat.

The white interior def helps keep the darkness toned down compared to black interior. You can still see the white seats looking into the car.

I Paid 600 for the car and 200 for windshield.

I do hear great things about Xpel as well, dont thi k you can go wrong. Your Installer is the key factor !

Reactions: techlogik
White interior on a 2021

I chose 15% Llumar IRX all around including 1 piece rear.

I just scheduled 50% Llumar IRX for full windshield as the interior is much cooler with the sides send rear but still feel a ton of heat from the large front piece of glass. Plus keeps better care of your dash, steering wheel and I would assume keeping some heat off the rear of the touchscreen, especially in this FL heat.

The white interior def helps keep the darkness toned down compared to black interior. You can still see the white seats looking into the car.

I Paid 600 for the car and 200 for windshield.

I do hear great things about Xpel as well, dont thi k you can go wrong. Your Installer is the key factor !
What shop did you go to?