Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 window trim 'damage' from 'car wash' or high PH...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Cloudy Chrome Advice? | Tesla

this has hit our 2019 Model 3. But never either of our 2 2018 Model 3s.

Tesla won't warranty it. A car that can't use a car wash... good job guys. Real. good job here.

Suggestions? I see a lot of people have had this issue. It's not shown on any of the other 4 Tesla's we have had, and washed all the same.

Ideas? Cars existing the in the real world. It's not like we drove it through a sand storm. There is clearly a pattern to these low quality parts.

A car that can't use a car wash... good job guys.

The manual only specifically calls out car washes that are not touch-less:

Screenshot_27.png

If you only used touch-free car washes, I'd say you'll have a decent case in arbitration.

The "chrome" is aluminum and it looks like a very aggressive cleaner was used on the surface. It can be polished back to a shine but that part is not very expensive.

Tesla said its $700 to replace both rear triangle windows. No aggressive cleaner was used. No issues with this type of thing anywhere else on any trim or body parts. Just the rear triangle.

Last edited:
Tesla said its $700 to replace both rear triangle windows. No aggressive cleaner was used. No issues with this type of thing anywhere else on any trim or body parts. Just the rear triangle.
Sadly it's expensive since those trim pieces, unlike the rest of the chrome pieces, are actually part of the small quarter glass as one entire assembly. Also means if you tinted that little piece you'll need to re-tint it.

I've used some pretty darn aggressive chemicals on my car such as overly concentrated all-purpose cleaner, degreasers, bug/tar, iron removers etc....and I haven't had any issues like that. Recently I decided to do a Chrome Delete so I guess we'll see how well the vinyl holds up...

Good luck on your case with Tesla - I do think if the rest of the chrome failed, the customer should be to blame, but since it's that piece which is manufactured separately, I'd call it suspect.