Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with battery popping sound while charging, should I be worried?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my breather valves replaced more than a month ago by the Tesla Service Centre. They said that my car was the first one that they have replaced.

Nothing has changed, I still get the popping noises multiple times everyday.

I reported it back to the service centre and their reply was "It's normal for Model 3 to have these noises in cold weather."

I think they have no clue what they should do. My neighbour is having his breather valves replaced in January. Let's see if he will experience the same as me.

I had my breather valves replaced more than a month ago by the Tesla Service Centre. They said that my car was the first one that they have replaced.

I reported it back to the service centre and their reply was "It's normal for Model 3 to have these noises in cold weather."

I think they have no clue what they should do. My neighbour is having his breather valves replaced in January. Let's see if he will experience the same as me.
I asked about this during a recent service call since I was heading the popping. They confirmed that my car came with the updated valves and that the popping would still happen and wasn’t anything to be concerned about.

Idk.. ive never supercharged my May 2018 model 3.. but i have never experienced any battery poping noises

Idk.. ive never supercharged my May 2018 model 3.. but i have never experienced any battery poping noises
Curious - what's your mileage & what's your max range at the moment?

I supercharged for the first time over Christmas & that's the first time I heard the "expanding metal" popping noise. Was startled at first, but then assumed that's what was happening... wonder how hot the batteries actually get? Probably doesn't take much to make that noise when it's cold outside.

Curious - what's your mileage & what's your max range at the moment?

I supercharged for the first time over Christmas & that's the first time I heard the "expanding metal" popping noise. Was startled at first, but then assumed that's what was happening... wonder how hot the batteries actually get? Probably doesn't take much to make that noise when it's cold outside.
Just shy of 35,000km

Max range right now is 483... so.. idk if i qualify for the battery recall but my max range WAS 523km...

I have a different sound. Has anyone experienced this? While charging on 220 at my home the car just started to make a loud humming noise coming from between the front wheels. I noticed it and waited a bit and it then declined to a softer humming. Thoughts please.

I have a different sound. Has anyone experienced this? While charging on 220 at my home the car just started to make a loud humming noise coming from between the front wheels. I noticed it and waited a bit and it then declined to a softer humming. Thoughts please.

Is it cold out? It is probably pre-heating the battery. If the battery is cold, it has to heat it before it can charge. I've seen my car take up to 30A @ 240V for 20 minutes heating the battery via the motor before it actually puts power into the battery when the battery is cold.

Hey guys, I just signed up here for the first time. I just bought a 2020 performance model 3. The car is/should be brand new. 3rd drive in and I went to a Supercharger for the frist time and I too experienced this popping sound. Tesla seemed concerned when I asked about this, and mentioned returning the vehicle. Along with other issues the car had (minor cosmetic issues), and low tire pressure, this one in particular made me question if my Tesla model 3 was, well already flawed. I'm was super excited to take delivery and hope this is a non-issue. Can anyone follow up on this? What is the popping sound?

Hey guys, I just signed up here for the first time. I just bought a 2020 performance model 3. The car is/should be brand new. 3rd drive in and I went to a Supercharger for the frist time and I too experienced this popping sound. Tesla seemed concerned when I asked about this, and mentioned returning the vehicle. Along with other issues the car had (minor cosmetic issues), and low tire pressure, this one in particular made me question if my Tesla model 3 was, well already flawed. I'm was super excited to take delivery and hope this is a non-issue. Can anyone follow up on this? What is the popping sound?
You probably just someone less-than-well-informed on the phone. It's fine.

It’s totally normal, don’t worry. It’s like when a cookie sheet pops in the oven. I’ve brought this up to service before and they were not concerned at all and said it’s normal.