Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3P FSD - delivery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All, I have a question on the TESLA delivery policy and need your advice. Here are the details of my order.

P3, FSD, Solid Black, White interior
Order date: 11/21/19
Found VIN in the source: 12/8/2019
Delivery Date: 12/24/2019 {apparently it is on a train from CA to PA}

Unfortunately, I will be out of town and won't be able to accept the delivery. My SA says that Tesla won't hold the delivery for more than 3 days from the delivery date. They asked me to pay and sign for it before I leave town and they will drop the car in my garage. With all the feedback in the forum, I am worried about signing for the car without inspecting and going through my 100 point checklist that I aggregated based on various discussion threads :).

I appreciate you all's wisdom and insights.

Thank you!

What "wisdom and insights" are you looking for? Whether you should let them deliver the car to your garage without you home? How is the car getting into your garage (you going to leave it open while you are gone?).

You looking for a bunch of people to say "most teslas are great now so dont worry about it" or "most teslas are crap, so you need to inspect it with a 1000 point checklist"? Even if both of those opinions were true, that doesnt cover every car, so in the end it comes down to your risk tolerance for leaving your garage open, and dealing with whatever might be wrong, if anything, with YOUR new tesla.

Im not understanding what you are looking for here, other than some variation of the two statements I mentioned above, which like I said has nothing to do with your particular car, or your particular risk tolerance for letting strangers delivery a product that costs you somewhere between 65-70k depending on taxes and registration into your garage, without you being there.

They (tesla) wont hold the car more than 3 days, they likely wont change that for you, if thats the feedback you are looking for.

What "wisdom and insights" are you looking for? Whether you should let them deliver the car to your garage without you home? How is the car getting into your garage (you going to leave it open while you are gone?).

You looking for a bunch of people to say "most teslas are great now so dont worry about it" or "most teslas are crap, so you need to inspect it with a 1000 point checklist"? Even if both of those opinions were true, that doesnt cover every car, so in the end it comes down to your risk tolerance for leaving your garage open, and dealing with whatever might be wrong, if anything, with YOUR new tesla.

Im not understanding what you are looking for here, other than some variation of the two statements I mentioned above, which like I said has nothing to do with your particular car, or your particular risk tolerance for letting strangers delivery a product that costs you somewhere between 65-70k depending on taxes and registration into your garage, without you being there.

They (tesla) wont hold the car more than 3 days, they likely wont change that for you, if thats the feedback you are looking for.

Sorry for not being clear. I totally understand that this is up to me based on my risk tolerance level. I can open the garage from remote when they get to my house and it is monitored. Here are some questions in my mind.

1. Has anyone entertained this option of accepting the delivery and what your experience has been (good and bad)? What should I watch out for?
2. If things don't go really well, can I still return the car within the 7-day window?
3. SA told me since this car is transported through train, there is less risk of any damage during transit and they will fix those issues. He is also updating me every day and trying his best to deliver if it gets before I leave to avoid this situation well. fingers crossed.

thank you again.

Sorry for not being clear. I totally understand that this is up to me based on my risk tolerance level. I can open the garage from remote when they get to my house and it is monitored. Here are some questions in my mind.

1. Has anyone entertained this option of accepting the delivery and what your experience has been (good and bad)? What should I watch out for?
2. If things don't go really well, can I still return the car within the 7-day window?
3. SA told me since this car is transported through train, there is less risk of any damage during transit and they will fix those issues. He is also updating me every day and trying his best to deliver if it gets before I leave to avoid this situation well. fingers crossed.

thank you again.

I havent done that (and wouldnt) but one thing I would caution you on is this. Tesla would not deliver a car without you being there that you have not accepted and paid for yet. This means that you would have to "accept and pay for" the car before the delivery is scheduled, rather than at delivery. THAT means that your "7 day return policy" would start from when you actually signed for an accepted the car, not when it was "delivered" to your garage. Your delivery day would be whenever you actually signed the documents accepting the car.

So, if the time between you "signing for and paying for the car" and "delivery into your garage" was 6 days, you would likely have 1 day to return it from the delivery date as an example. If its more than 7 days between those two things, then your 7day period would be gone.

I may be incorrect in that, but I dont think tesla is going to deliver to your garage without having payment, and the act of payment and signing the documents for the car is what would start the clock, not delivery to your garage.

I wouldnt do it, but my risk tolerance may be different than yours. I would not remotely open my garage for a stranger to deliver a 65k car to it. I wont even sign up for "Amazon Key" where they deliver packages to your garage, and I buy 3-4k worth of stuff from amazon every year. Im not opening my garage (or house) for a stranger when I am not there, full stop, so ... shrug.

Reactions: TorukMakto
I spoke to the SA, and you were right. The 7-day clock would start when I sign the papers and not when the car is delivered. They were adamant that there is no other way to work through this. Having said that, I just found that TESLA policy is a 7 day reschedule delivery Order and Delivery - Model 3 , and it is not 3 days as suggested by the SA. I sent this to my SA and told him that based on this policy, you should be holding the car for me and I will pick it up in 4 days from the scheduled delivery date. I am waiting for the response. I will keep you all posted.

You do not want to have Tesla deliver a car that you have not first inspected. If you have a trusted friend who will take the time to inspect the car thoroughly you could make that person a legal power of attorney for the transaction. But what if the cars gets delivered with blemishes? That person now has to decide what to do. It’s awkward.

Tesla will not hold cars for you. Ignore anything the sales advisor tells you. They are always wrong. If Tesla finds another buyer ready to pay up they will sell the car on the spot. It’s happened to other forum members here too many times to count.

I spoke to the SA, and you were right. The 7-day clock would start when I sign the papers and not when the car is delivered. They were adamant that there is no other way to work through this. Having said that, I just found that TESLA policy is a 7 day reschedule delivery Order and Delivery - Model 3 , and it is not 3 days as suggested by the SA. I sent this to my SA and told him that based on this policy, you should be holding the car for me and I will pick it up in 4 days from the scheduled delivery date. I am waiting for the response. I will keep you all posted.

They are not going to hold it for 7 days, regardless of what that page says. They arent. Dont plan on it. They will sell it to someone else and put you back in line to get one "whenever they get another one" for you. Expect that to be what happens, even if the SA says "ok we will hold it... they wont do it more than 3 days.

thank you, one last question. Does the 3 day period start from the delivery Appointment date mentioned on my Account? My SA is saying that the 3 day period starts from the day vehicle comes to the dealership and not what is mentioned on my account. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever?

My wife tweeted to Elon Musk and Tesla on this delivery issue and inflexibility on their policy which is forcing us to decide between the Christmas vacation with the family and picking up the car. A few hours later I got a call from one of the regional managers and they accommodated our request and held our car until we came back from our vacation. We picked up our car on December 30th and we have been very happy so far. I wanted to share this with you all. Happy New Year!!

Reactions: RangerMac