Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I decided to order the new M3 Highlands refresh when I got the email for the transfer offer for FSD. However what doesn't sit right with me is the requirement for you to take delivery by a certain date. On the estimated delivery it is showing April-May for me now. My purchase hinges on me being able to transfer FSD to the new car.

I was wondering if I could get all of your input on their terms and service for the transfer. If I pass the march 31st date I want to be able to cancel the order and keep the FSD on my current car. However their terms and conditions make it sound like I forefit FSD regardless. I have attached a long screenshot of their terms and service on here!

Thank you for your feedback!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223_102906_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_102906_Tesla.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I decided to order the new M3 Highlands refresh when I got the email for the transfer offer for FSD. However what doesn't sit right with me is the requirement for you to take delivery by a certain date. On the estimated delivery it is showing April-May for me now. My purchase hinges on me being able to transfer FSD to the new car.

I was wondering if I could get all of your input on their terms and service for the transfer. If I pass the march 31st date I want to be able to cancel the order and keep the FSD on my current car. However their terms and conditions make it sound like I forefit FSD regardless. I have attached a long screenshot of their terms and service on here!

Thank you for your feedback!
The time restriction is problematic as we have no control to hurry up the assembly line.

Thus, the order date is our responsibility, and meeting the delivery deadline date should be Tesla's responsibility.

If it's Tesla's fault for not hurrying up the assembly line to have the car ready by the deadline, Tesla must provide an exception.

I would not enter into a contract that does not give me such an exception.

Without that exception, it's a lottery because only Tesla knows their in-house scheduling, but we are blind not knowing how fast their assembly line is.

Reactions: hyperlolorb
The time restriction is problematic as we have no control to hurry up the assembly line.

Thus, the order date is our responsibility, and meeting the delivery deadline date should be Tesla's responsibility.

If it's Tesla's fault for not hurrying up the assembly line to have the car ready by the deadline, Tesla must provide an exception.

I would not enter into a contract that does not give me such an exception.

Without that exception, it's a lottery because only Tesla knows their in-house scheduling, but we are blind not knowing how fast their assembly line is.
Right, that's the bothersome point for me too, I believe I am going to just wait and see, but about a 90% chance I am cancelling

This seems to backwards, it costs them nothing to transfer it

Right, that's the bothersome point for me too, I believe I am going to just wait and see, but about a 90% chance I am cancelling

This seems to backwards, it costs them nothing to transfer it

Tesla wins if you can beat the deadline: an additional car is sold to fill up the statistics at the end of the quarter.

Tesla wins if Tesla is too slow to beat the delivery deadline: If you cancel, it keeps the deposit fee. If you go ahead with the order, you lose your FSD transfer to the new car. Tesla wins again if you pay for the new car's FSD.

It's a win-win all for Tesla either way!

FWIW, I was told by my sales advisor that as long as you have a VIN assigned by March 31, they'll transfer the FSD. Of course I don't have that in writing, but he claimed to have confirmed that with his manager. We are hoping for a VIN by mid-March, and if not, we may switch to an inventory something different.

FWIW, I was told by my sales advisor that as long as you have a VIN assigned by March 31, they'll transfer the FSD. Of course I don't have that in writing, but he claimed to have confirmed that with his manager. We are hoping for a VIN by mid-March, and if not, we may switch to an inventory something different.
That's the conflict between official written policy and the assurance from salespeople as one thread discussed.

One owner was reassured last year that the offer was still good by buying a new inventory.

After the sale, they gave the owner the choice to comply with the written policy: Either pay the full price of a new car (not the lower price of the new inventory) or the transfer is lost.

This year the policy now allows all other discounts that you can find.

I would not do a purchase with FSD transfer on a custom Highland order right now. Too many delays on the current deliveries and we are too close to end of quarter to take the risk and lose the deposit.

We chanced it. Our plan is to check back in about 2 weeks from EOM and if there is no chance of getting the Highland we will just forfeit the $250 and get another inventory car model.

Back when i ordered mid February i asked the question: "What if there are delays?". Got told that i will need to take delivery by March 31th. "Confirmed" by the head office or the SA manager's (Don't remember the exact words).

Got second half of march as an estimated delivery. Canada received the Chinese built cars last Sunday. Should be taking delivery probably sooner in my case.

Reactions: ahkahn
Yes, it is good news.
My highland order fluctuated it's delivery into April but over the span since my Feb 6 order it has gradually narrowed and stands today at March 16 - Mar 31, still without a VIN.
So it ruffled my feathers a little at first patience has paid off and this from John Kraus affirms that fretting over this most likely is unnecessary, (if fretting is EVER necessary).

I had to cancel my reservation when Tesla refused to honor the FSD transfer for the 3 I ordered in early February one day after the promotion was announced. The estimated delivery date was originally March, but shifted to April 6 and there was no VIN assigned on the first. Tesla is certainly not making any friends when they do this and refuse to refund the reservation fee. They are playing the same games traditional car makers play but acting like they are above it.

Ken with Tesla, fretting is often necessary. My current 3 still smells like an unwashed gym sock every 6 months if I don't have the filters and evaporator cleaned (for an extra fee from Tesla), and the HVAC system periodically rattles. Tesla acts like the smell is not a common problem, and I don't live in the humid south.

I had to cancel my reservation when Tesla refused to honor the FSD transfer for the 3 I ordered in early February one day after the promotion was announced. The estimated delivery date was originally March, but shifted to April 6 and there was no VIN assigned on the first. Tesla is certainly not making any friends when they do this and refuse to refund the reservation fee. They are playing the same games traditional car makers play but acting like they are above it.

Ken with Tesla, fretting is often necessary. My current 3 still smells like an unwashed gym sock every 6 months if I don't have the filters and evaporator cleaned (for an extra fee from Tesla), and the HVAC system periodically rattles. Tesla acts like the smell is not a common problem, and I don't live in the humid south.
How far up the chain did you get when speaking to Tesla? If nothing else, you need to post this on their official X page that states they will honor transfers for orders that had their delivery window shift. I still have an order that I'm waiting on and am prepared to go to the mat to get them to honor the transfer.

It took a few days to transfer the FSD? When I picked up my S it was instant. I used FSD on the drive home.
Ya, but this was a trade-in of my previous car for which I had purchased FSD. Tesla's offer was to transfer FSD from old to new at no cost if new was delivered by March 31. I don't know it factually but it seemed that Tesla waited for my trade-in FSD car was inventoried after my release of ownership at the time of delivery.

I imagine that some trade-in arrangements change before completion. A buyer may find reason not to accept his/her new car: perhaps someone offers the trading owner more for his car than the Tesla deal brought. Car deals are never final in the mind of sellers until completed - money in, buyer happy, no liens appear, etc.