Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3P Tire Question

jpchi02

Nov 23, 2020
Chicago, IL
Hi all,

My M3P is ordered! Fingers crossed it gets delivered in June. Anyways, I’m going to be selling the uberturbines as I know they’re quite heavy and I don’t love the aesthetic. I’ve already ordered a set of Martian MW03 wheels in 19x8.5 to replace the uberturbines.

My question is, does anyone see any problems in terms of fit if I wrap them in a Michelin Crossclimate 2 size 235/45R19? I know these aren’t summer tires and many folks will object to that, but I live in Chicago and having a tire I can run year round with relatively good performance (within ~5% in all condition compared to dedicated winter/summer tires in their respective seasons) year round is just what I’ve decided to be the best route. This after doing a lot of research over the past week.

Again, just hoping to get one last check in before I order these tires (once the MW03 rims come in here shortly). Thank you in advance! Also, assuming this will work I’ll post pictures later this month.

Best,
jp

GoergeJetson

Aug 26, 2019
Atlanta
Hi all,

My M3P is ordered! Fingers crossed it gets delivered in June. Anyways, I’m going to be selling the uberturbines as I know they’re quite heavy and I don’t love the aesthetic. I’ve already ordered a set of Martian MW03 wheels in 19x8.5 to replace the uberturbines.

My question is, does anyone see any problems in terms of fit if I wrap them in a Michelin Crossclimate 2 size 235/45R19? I know these aren’t summer tires and many folks will object to that, but I live in Chicago and having a tire I can run year round with relatively good performance (within ~5% in all condition compared to dedicated winter/summer tires in their respective seasons) year round is just what I’ve decided to be the best route. This after doing a lot of research over the past week.

Again, just hoping to get one last check in before I order these tires (once the MW03 rims come in here shortly). Thank you in advance! Also, assuming this will work I’ll post pictures later this month.

Best,
jp

Wheel choice is nice, totally understand you dropping down in rim size for those Chicago pot holes. The tires should do really well in winter conditions, I would estimate you are going to lose more than 5% of performance you would get from a summer tire in warm, dry conditions, but given your more interested in good winter performance, I don't see any problem with your choice.

jpchi02

Nov 23, 2020
Chicago, IL
Wheel choice is nice, totally understand you dropping down in rim size for those Chicago pot holes. The tires should do really well in winter conditions, I would estimate you are going to lose more than 5% of performance you would get from a summer tire in warm, dry conditions, but given your more interested in good winter performance, I don't see any problem with your choice.
Thank you! Appreciate you taking the time to give it some thought.

MODEL+

Vendor
Oct 21, 2020
Portland, OR
With that tire, you will be gaining some range back on your M3P.
However, that size you're looking for is incorrect. You want to use 235/40/19 to keep the overall diameter as close to stock as possible.

235/45/19 is 3% larger in diameter than 235/35/20 that comes stock on M3P. This will throw off your speedometer and may also trip out your traction / stability control.
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 10.34.05 AM.png

Danny

jpchi02

Nov 23, 2020
Chicago, IL
However, that size you're looking for is incorrect. You want to use 235/40/19 to keep the overall diameter as close to stock as possible.

235/45/19 is 3% larger in diameter than 235/35/20 that comes stock on M3P. This will throw off your speedometer and may also trip out your traction / stability control.
View attachment 653506

Danny
Makes sense. Thank you, sir!

• Love
Reactions: MODEL+

GoergeJetson

Aug 26, 2019
Atlanta

View attachment 653506

Danny
Doesn't Tesla allow you to configure the wheels on the display? If so, then all the owner needs to do is change the wheel size to 19" and it should correct the speedometer automatically. That is assuming the 19" tire he has on his wheels matches up to the tire size Tesla puts on their OEM 19" wheel.

Reactions: AlexVCo

MODEL+

Vendor
Oct 21, 2020
Portland, OR
Doesn't Tesla allow you to configure the wheels on the display? If so, then all the owner needs to do is change the wheel size to 19" and it should correct the speedometer automatically. That is assuming the 19" tire he has on his wheels matches up to the tire size Tesla puts on their OEM 19" wheel.
It will not accommodate for 3% in overall diameter difference.

Danny

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC