Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In 2023, who's making the best all-weather, all-season tires for the Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also live in the Pacific Northwest, and I replaced my stock Contis with Vredestein Quadtracs. They have 16k miles on them and have served me well. However, the frosty mornings we've had are telling me that it's winter tire time. I am inclined to the Hakkapelitta r5, but as I'll need to get wheels and TPMS as well, maybe the factory set of Pirellis is a better choice.

I bought the Bridgestone Turanza EV AS last week. They are terrible.

- Severe understeer, especially over 60 mph.
- notice loss of range, I noticed 20-25% more battery was used for a recent trip compared to old tires
- too narrow for model 3 19 inch wheel, almost a 1/4 inch of the wheel is exposed

returned back to Costco
darn...too bad...thanks for sharing your experience though!

Reactions: fredjan
I just picked up a set of 245/35/20 Michelin Pilot All Season 4’s to replace my factory summer only Pirellis. Can’t wait to get them on.

IMG_6265.jpeg

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
No love for the Michelin CrossClimate 2's?? Been using them for like 2 years, even wondering if i should use them on the track lmao
How’s the efficiency?

I replaced MXM4 with Michelin Pilot Sport AS4. They have been a terrific upgrade from a handling and grip perspective (especially in the wet!). However, they are louder and the efficiency hit has been noticeable… went from 250 to 280 in warmer temps and 290 to 340 in colder temps. I didn’t think I would mind, but it’s starting to bother me more.

I’d like to find something with better efficiency but safe in the wet (I think the stock MXM4s were actually dangerous in the wet).

How’s the efficiency?

I replaced MXM4 with Michelin Pilot Sport AS4. They have been a terrific upgrade from a handling and grip perspective (especially in the wet!). However, they are louder and the efficiency hit has been noticeable… went from 250 to 280 in warmer temps and 290 to 340 in colder temps. I didn’t think I would mind, but it’s starting to bother me more.

I’d like to find something with better efficiency but safe in the wet (I think the stock MXM4s were actually dangerous in the wet).
I'd probably stick to the OEM wheels. Personally, I've never felt super confident in wet weather with the OEM 19" continental procontacts, and I've heard that the noise reduction foam causes serious steering vibrations if it gets loose, so I would prefer my next tires to be Michelin Pilot Sports AS4

Reactions: K3vin11
I drive a 2018 M3 LR AWD with 18” wheels and aero covers. I have about 3000 miles on the Hankook ION EVO AS after replacing Continental DWS06+ after 56,000 miles. The last 13,700 miles with the DWS06+ my average was 250 wh/mile. So far, I can’t say the ION are any more or less efficient due to cold weather (last 3k miles my wh/mile is 300+ due to cold weather…non-heat pump car), but they seem like a quiet, smooth rolling tire. Overall, I prefer the DWS06+ as they give a bit better feedback and are better in the snow and rain here in Massachusetts. I drove to New Jersey with on the Hankook with climate off and wasn’t amazed with the efficiency. Will see how the efficiency stacks up in summer. Overall, would go back to the DWS06+. Am happy with 56k on the tire, especially with trips to Tail of the Dragon and not having the lightest foot in the twisty bits.

Cheers.

How’s the efficiency?

The AS 4 is a pretty noisy tire unfortunately. Much noisier than the Pilot Sport 4S, even with the PS4S being an ultra high performance tire.

We just replaced the OE Michelin Primacy tires on our Genesis GV60 with a set of the Hankook ION EVO AS.

The Hankooks are noticeably quieter, appear to be more efficient and ride better too.
Win/win/win from my perspective.

I drive a 2018 M3 LR AWD with 18” wheels and aero covers. I have about 3000 miles on the Hankook ION EVO AS after replacing Continental DWS06+ after 56,000 miles. The last 13,700 miles with the DWS06+ my average was 250 wh/mile. So far, I can’t say the ION are any more or less efficient due to cold weather (last 3k miles my wh/mile is 300+ due to cold weather…non-heat pump car), but they seem like a quiet, smooth rolling tire. Overall, I prefer the DWS06+ as they give a bit better feedback and are better in the snow and rain here in Massachusetts. I drove to New Jersey with on the Hankook with climate off and wasn’t amazed with the efficiency. Will see how the efficiency stacks up in summer. Overall, would go back to the DWS06+. Am happy with 56k on the tire, especially with trips to Tail of the Dragon and not having the lightest foot in the twisty bits.

Cheers.
Great review, thanks. Not surprised to hear the ION EVO AS being less grippy on snow and on dry vs the DWS06+. the DWS06+ is one of the best AS tires, the only downside is slightly more noise and less efficient.

Reactions: fredjan

Me too. I think 90% of my posts on this forum are tire related and started after I had a big slide in the rain on MXM4s, at night, with the fam. It wasn't a huge drift as the wife didn't notice, but we lost the rear in a sweeper. 2020 M3LR with 18s.

I can say for sure the Goodyear Electricdrive GTs are better in the wet.

Its been hard to quantify the efficiency. For example, I did 153 miles today to/from Tesla service. Return leg was 73 miles, 1:50 hr, 216 Wh/mi. I was stuck behind some slow pokes which helped, but lots of 50-60mph driving. No heat needed. On the trip up I used heat and I think the Wh/mi was in the 240s.

Overall trip: 153 miles, 34 kWh, 223 Wh/mi. To me, this is fantastic, and I want to say feels like equal efficiency to MXM4s, if not better...

My tires are in the 7/32 - 8/32 range now with 10,906 miles.

I hope before the end of next year there are more tests done by Tirerack, even if they use a M3P. I just want to have a good idea of what trade offs to make with wet grip and efficiency.

Good luck!!!