Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

215/50R18 Tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well here's a picture of it being done so someone has at least ran these. They did it with snow tires though.

picture link

tesla-model-3-performance-wheel-gap-with-215by50r18-winter-tires.jpg

Well here's a picture of it being done so someone has at least ran these. They did it with snow tires though.

picture link

Nice!
Here's another option if you're not worried about range - 225/50R18 Falken Wildpeak AT Trail on 18x8+35 wheels. If I did it again I would go down to 18x7.5 wheels (like Kyle Connor is running on the rally model 3). I don't think going narrower on the tread is worth it. Someone has 215/60R17 (Yes 17s) on a model 3 and they have issues cornering at high speed due to the traction/tire issues. I think 225 is a great size and pretty close to the stock 235. Watch the weight ratings on the tires and rims, you need at least 110% of the axle rating to get them through tirerack, etc. If you put model 3 tires on a model Y you might have a problem. The other thing with 225/50R18 is you get an extra 1/4" of ground clearance so while the tire is more efficient for air drag it will put your car higher. Just depends on what your priorities are. I think a model 3 with a 2" lift is fantastic personally so I'm happy for anything I can get from the tires.

1690582858911.png

The whole insurance thing is usually posted by people who are in the UK, where modifications have to be reported to insurance or it will be void. If you're in the US, you have different regulations. It can also depend on state (California, elsewhere, etc). Just do your own research for your own situation and stop listening to the fear-mongers who live in a different place.

If you're really really serious about hypermiling there are other ways to improve efficiency as well, like lowering (air suspension if needed) and a few tiny aerodynamic improvements. I would do 225 width with 18x7.5 wheels and put your own moon caps on it for aero. Then get a bunch of UPP stuff for aero.

Here's their advertisement page: Independent Aerodynamic Study of Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

Now I see Pirelli Cinturato P7 all seasons in this size 215/50R18 XL load rating on discount tire as well as walmart. It has a 700 treadwear rating so WAYYYY better efficiency than the ~400 ratings ones I posted a few weeks ago so I'd suspect is way more efficient. Also nice its a more reputable brand.

Walmart link

Super curious what the WH/mi would be with these.

For another good efficient EV tire option, we put the Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus ELECT on our Model S recently and I'm really liking them on that car. They're extremely quiet, pretty smooth riding, more efficient than the (non-EV) allseasons they replaced - yet they're officially an Ultra High Performance (UHP) allseason, so they actually have good grip as allseasons go. Really really good combination of attributes and tradeoffs so far.

Now a few disclaimers. This is on a 2013 P85. I don't normally push it to its limits and it doesn't corner like our modded M3P no matter the tires. It's also much less efficient than the 2021 M3P (with heat pump) no matter the tires. So I can't tell you exactly how this tire would do on a Model 3, but I can say it suits the Model S very well.

Will I put it on our Model 3 someday? Maybe...but on the M3P I think I prefer a more hard edge aggressive feeling tire. That's just me and how I like to drive the M3P though, I think for most people this would be a good pick.

Reactions: MacO512
For another good efficient EV tire option, we put the Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus ELECT on our Model S recently and I'm really liking them on that car. They're extremely quiet, pretty smooth riding, more efficient than the (non-EV) allseasons they replaced - yet they're officially an Ultra High Performance (UHP) allseason, so they actually have good grip as allseasons go. Really really good combination of attributes and tradeoffs so far.

Now a few disclaimers. This is on a 2013 P85. I don't normally push it to its limits and it doesn't corner like our modded M3P no matter the tires. It's also much less efficient than the 2021 M3P (with heat pump) no matter the tires. So I can't tell you exactly how this tire would do on a Model 3, but I can say it suits the Model S very well.

Will I put it on our Model 3 someday? Maybe...but on the M3P I think I prefer a more hard edge aggressive feeling tire. That's just me and how I like to drive the M3P though, I think for most people this would be a good pick.
I'm with you all in all this. On the tricked out model 3 Performance which we have two of with two of the brilliant Mountain Pass adjustable suspensions, it's pretty tough to beat the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. My wife has the Tesla spec 235/35 but I have actually the Mercedes MO spec 265/30 and 275/30 because the Tesla spec 275/30 is no longer being made. Very disappointing, but it's hard to tell the difference frankly between these customized versions. And boy does it stick in the corners. But it's efficiency ain't great