Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3P Tire Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My M3P is ordered! Fingers crossed it gets delivered in June. Anyways, I’m going to be selling the uberturbines as I know they’re quite heavy and I don’t love the aesthetic. I’ve already ordered a set of Martian MW03 wheels in 19x8.5 to replace the uberturbines.

My question is, does anyone see any problems in terms of fit if I wrap them in a Michelin Crossclimate 2 size 235/45R19? I know these aren’t summer tires and many folks will object to that, but I live in Chicago and having a tire I can run year round with relatively good performance (within ~5% in all condition compared to dedicated winter/summer tires in their respective seasons) year round is just what I’ve decided to be the best route. This after doing a lot of research over the past week.

Again, just hoping to get one last check in before I order these tires (once the MW03 rims come in here shortly). Thank you in advance! Also, assuming this will work I’ll post pictures later this month.

Best,
jp

Hi all,

My M3P is ordered! Fingers crossed it gets delivered in June. Anyways, I’m going to be selling the uberturbines as I know they’re quite heavy and I don’t love the aesthetic. I’ve already ordered a set of Martian MW03 wheels in 19x8.5 to replace the uberturbines.

My question is, does anyone see any problems in terms of fit if I wrap them in a Michelin Crossclimate 2 size 235/45R19? I know these aren’t summer tires and many folks will object to that, but I live in Chicago and having a tire I can run year round with relatively good performance (within ~5% in all condition compared to dedicated winter/summer tires in their respective seasons) year round is just what I’ve decided to be the best route. This after doing a lot of research over the past week.

Again, just hoping to get one last check in before I order these tires (once the MW03 rims come in here shortly). Thank you in advance! Also, assuming this will work I’ll post pictures later this month.

Best,
jp

Wheel choice is nice, totally understand you dropping down in rim size for those Chicago pot holes. The tires should do really well in winter conditions, I would estimate you are going to lose more than 5% of performance you would get from a summer tire in warm, dry conditions, but given your more interested in good winter performance, I don't see any problem with your choice.

Wheel choice is nice, totally understand you dropping down in rim size for those Chicago pot holes. The tires should do really well in winter conditions, I would estimate you are going to lose more than 5% of performance you would get from a summer tire in warm, dry conditions, but given your more interested in good winter performance, I don't see any problem with your choice.
Thank you! Appreciate you taking the time to give it some thought.

With that tire, you will be gaining some range back on your M3P.
However, that size you're looking for is incorrect. You want to use 235/40/19 to keep the overall diameter as close to stock as possible.

235/45/19 is 3% larger in diameter than 235/35/20 that comes stock on M3P. This will throw off your speedometer and may also trip out your traction / stability control.
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 10.34.05 AM.png

Danny

However, that size you're looking for is incorrect. You want to use 235/40/19 to keep the overall diameter as close to stock as possible.

235/45/19 is 3% larger in diameter than 235/35/20 that comes stock on M3P. This will throw off your speedometer and may also trip out your traction / stability control.
View attachment 653506

Danny
Makes sense. Thank you, sir!

• Love
Reactions: MODEL+

View attachment 653506

Danny
Doesn't Tesla allow you to configure the wheels on the display? If so, then all the owner needs to do is change the wheel size to 19" and it should correct the speedometer automatically. That is assuming the 19" tire he has on his wheels matches up to the tire size Tesla puts on their OEM 19" wheel.

Reactions: AlexVCo
Doesn't Tesla allow you to configure the wheels on the display? If so, then all the owner needs to do is change the wheel size to 19" and it should correct the speedometer automatically. That is assuming the 19" tire he has on his wheels matches up to the tire size Tesla puts on their OEM 19" wheel.
It will not accommodate for 3% in overall diameter difference.

Danny

Hi all,

Best,
jp
Just put a set on my 2019 M3 stealth. So far I have noticed no changes in range. Much quieter than the factory continentals

I have a 2019 Model 3 Performance with OEM 20" wheels and the original PS4S tires with 36k miles on the set. I might get 40k out of the tires but rather than spending $1,600 on another set of 20" PS4S tires, I purchased a set of used 2021 OEM 19" Tesla Sport Wheels, will be adding a set of Hankook Ventus S1 EVO 3 tires (same tire as Tesla is selling as part of the 19" summer tire package, with foam inside), $650 for the wheels, $880 for the tires, $75 for TPMS, $90 mounting and balancing. Total for the 19" wheels and tires = $1695 or about $100 more than what I could have spent on just replacing the tires. My commute is mostly highway so hopefully, I will get at least 30k miles out of the new Hankook tires and I don't lose efficiency. While I won't save any money this time around, the thought is for the same money, I will gain an extra set of wheels, and the next time around, I will save $600 the next time I need tires.

Currently, the tires are on order from Tirerack, hope to have them mounted next week, stay tuned for updates on my experience with dropping down a wheel size, and seeing what happens.