Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 100D 2017 switch to Model 3 performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not an exact like-for-like but my wife has a 2016 X 90D. Some features it has that I wish my P3D+ had:
  • Autopresenting doors - opening and closing of the doors by themselves is a not a need but once you have it you will always want it
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Bioweapon defense HEPA filter - too many polluting cars in CA
  • Power lift gate/trunk
  • SAS
Other than these, I love the performance and drivability of my 3 way more than her X. If my P3+ came with these, game over!

I am trading my 2017 X90D for the P3D+. My wife has the Model 3 RW and yes it's not as luxurious but it is so much more fun to drive while still being very practical.
The X is a great car on the motorway but otherwise it is still a big heavy SUV that uses a crazy amount of energy to move.

I own a 3P and hell no would I make your proposed trade.

One is the flagship that tours like a champ and has huge cargo and mission flexibility, looks the best and has some distinction..

The other is a go kart that goes really really fast.

My 3 was in the shop to fix a misaligned charge port door and I had a loaner S. Nothing exciting just the 75D but it was awesome. It was hard to give it back.

I know the S75D would have been better for my family if we had to pick between just one Tesla - 3 or S.

Last edited:
I am trading my 2017 X90D for the P3D+. My wife has the Model 3 RW and yes it's not as luxurious but it is so much more fun to drive while still being very practical.
The X is a great car on the motorway but otherwise it is still a big heavy SUV that uses a crazy amount of energy to move.

Can the Model 3 seat 7, and tow a 747? They are not comparable at all. Lack of lift gate is a pain in the ass but I know the reason: go buy an S or X. :D

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I am looking to switch over to the performance Model 3, Wife is unsure and so do I on built quality and the luxury feel. Anyone who has made this jump kindly share your insights. Thanks.
My 2013 Model S is my daily driver and my wife got a Model 3 in January that we recently upgraded to a dual motor. We also bought a used F150 crew cab pickup truck since hauling two adults, two small children, two dogs, and large objects to our vacation home in Mariposa was getting really tricky in the Model S.

IMG_8560.jpg

So we now have the proper tool for quite a few different transportation needs. Here is how I choose between them:

If it's just me, I ALWAYS pick the Model 3 (unless my wife is using it). The sound system is amazing, the glass roof is awesome, and it's so much more nimble than my Model S. I thought my Model S was fun to drive, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Model 3. You also get a better view of the road and it's way easier to park.

If the whole family is going somewhere together than the Model S is usually the best choice. The folding stroller for our youngest child fits in the frunk and I don't have to move my seat forward to fit the rear facing child seat in the back. There is also less wind/road noise than in the Model 3 and the air suspension makes for a smoother ride than in the sportier Model 3. The hatchback works great for loading a full load of groceries or other large purchases in the back. The powered hatch is also handy. And if we are bringing our two dogs with us then we put their bed in the back and they happily jump in. Having the turn-by-turn nav instructions right in front of me is also really helpful if we're going somewhere unfamiliar. And the energy usage stats are pretty handy for supercharger road trips. Plus supercharging is free.

And if we are hauling a load of trash to the dump, buying furniture at IKEA, or hauling people + dogs + furniture or other large objects then the F150 is the best choice (at least until the Tesla pickup is available).

The TL;DR version is that the Model 3 is more fun to drive, better for music, and easier to park. The Model S is a better suited to luxurious highway cruising. And sometimes you just need a truck.

We'll have our Model 3P in about 10 days, will keep the 2017 S100D (share with nearby daughter's family).

My wife will use the 3P as her daily driver. She'll put grandchildrens' child seat behind the passenger seat. Model 3 benefits, based on test drive:
- Smaller, easier to park
- Adjustable shoulder belt
- Better designed, more usable interior storage

The S100D will be our:
- Highway cruiser
- Out to dinner with another couple car
- Daughter's long-commute car

Disclaimer: I've never actually OWNED a Model S, but I have driven them for more miles combined than my Model 3, since working for Mercedes and Porsche I drove a ton of MS trade ins. My initial take away was this. The Model S wins for straight line performance and number of LCD displays, but loses in almost every other category. Here's my quick breakdown.

Ergonomics:
As a 6'4 200 pound guy, I find the MS has poor ergonomics for both the front and rear passengers. Also small (but important) things were not thought about during the design process, such as cupholder positions, adjustable seatbelt heights, door storage panels, a fold down center arm rest in the back seats. These are all included in the Model 3 (and in fact most sedans manufactured after the 90's). The model S does have better storage space, but it is a larger car with worse room for the passengers.

Handling:
What you look for in handling is a personal matter, but I prefer the sporty 3-series like feel of the M3 over the MS, which has that floaty early 2000's S-class style air suspension. I prefer the LR AWD or RWD Model 3's over the performance one mostly because of the option for 18's makes your spine a lot more happy. Also gives you the options of aero rims for road trips to save a few MPGe!

Visibility:
The Model 3 has better sight-lines (particularly for the C-pillar area), and way smaller blind spots. The dual displays of the MS are nice, but honestly I've gotten completely used to the single center display quite quick in my Model 3, and it's not the problem as I thought it'd be.

Performance:
The Model S obviously wins this category in a straight line. I'd say in braking it may have a SLIGHT advantage, but it suffers from heat issues on the track and the only time I use my brakes in a Tesla above 30kmph is on the track or emergency situations. Personally, I'm fine with the mid 5 second 0-100 my RWD M3 has, and I don't need it to be faster. I would like to upgrade to AWD at some point though. If you're someone who really "needs" a sedan with a 2.5 second 0-100 time, then for sure get the Model S, but otherwise I think you'll be okay with a Model 3.

Summary:
Overall, I'm very glad I got the M3 at the end of the day, I paid less than half the price and got more car in nearly every category, at least in my opinion! I can't help but feel like the value isn't there for the Model S, not because it's a bad car, just more because the Model 3 is such a well made car, you can tell Tesla learned a lot from the mistakes they made in their younger years!

Your cars look beautiful! Where did you go in LA to have your wheels powder coated? We just added a Model 3 to our Tesla family and I would love to get the wheels black. Thanks!
I plasti dipped the 3 wheels myself. X came black.
I recommend Exoticar on Sepulveda and Santa Monica behind service center. They did my old X and it was a stellar job for fair price and short turn around time. Great guys there.
Or if you don’t mind driving there’s a place in Anaheim that does same day powder coating for $450. They also stock Tesla wheels and can do a exchange for same price in an hour. Doing that on my new P3D since that 3 was recently sold.

I plasti dipped the 3 wheels myself. X came black.
I recommend Exoticar on Sepulveda and Santa Monica behind service center. They did my old X and it was a stellar job for fair price and short turn around time. Great guys there.
Or if you don’t mind driving there’s a place in Anaheim that does same day powder coating for $450. They also stock Tesla wheels and can do a exchange for same price in an hour. Doing that on my new P3D since that 3 was recently sold.

What’s the name of the place in Anaheim, just in case we feel like taking a road trip?