Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s 70D with 90kw battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC forums! I wanted to ask about a tesla model s 2016 October which was on carfax as a 70d but it has a 90kw battery for sure. Can someone inform me about what happened? I really appreciate any insight. Is there a way to verify in person that it is a 90kw battery if it is software locked?

Does anyone know if the 90 kWh batteries degradation issue resolved on Model S 2016.10? Would these 90 kwh batteries have a higher chance of sudden failure than 100kWh or 75kWh batteries? I appreciate the insight.
As far as degradation, absent any outliers, all Tesla's have shown probably less than 25% degradation. Degradation should not be a concern. All that matters to nothing if the HV pack fails due to non degradation (like mine did on my 2012 P85). Non degradation failure requiring pack replacement/repair would be like one bad cell/module, lose wire, faulty circuit board, etc.

You're going to have to accept risks when buying a Tesla, or any car for that matter. There is no solid data on failure of the different packs, just anecdotal information.

The hard truth is out of warranty replacement packs can be more than the car's worth. Once costing $100k+, these are expensive cars to maintain. Set aside $10k-$20k USD for maintenance in an interest bearing account. If you can't do that you shouldn't be buying a car like this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0