Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 75D v Model S P90D Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to see if anyone had experience of the range difference. I have both of these cars and the full charge rated and typical is fairly similar, in fact the P90 is a little less (by 5 miles). In actual use they are roughly the same if driven in the same manner. I have read that the P models are a bit more power hungry than non P (obviously comparing driving the same speed and acceleration, if you use the full potential of the P you can’t compare!)

You could compare some trip predictions using abetterrouteplanner - they have built up a database for different car models and so it may be more informative than individual anecdotes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two models have a similar range. The P90 is disadvantaged by lower profile tyres and I believe more weight due to a bigger motor(s) and IIRC the available battery capacity of the 75D is quite close to 75 kWh while the 90 battery is quite a long way short of 90 kWh.

You could compare some trip predictions using abetterrouteplanner - they have built up a database for different car models and so it may be more informative than individual anecdotes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two models have a similar range. The P90 is disadvantaged by lower profile tyres and I believe more weight due to a bigger motor(s) and IIRC the available battery capacity of the 75D is quite close to 75 kWh while the 90 battery is quite a long way short of 90 kWh.

Thanks, I have just tried the planner and it confirms the 75d is the same as the p90d when I check my daily commute of 90 miles, it shows exactly what I currently end up with in % .... fairly impressive how accurate it is!

That puts you in the best possible position to answer your own question! Everything I've read suggests there isn't much real world difference and the jump in range to the 100D is far bigger from either.

Yes, I had a loner 100D for a week and it’s range was for more than either of mine.. i was expecting the P90 to have more range than the 75 but it was equal, so was a bit concerned that it had a bad battery, but from what I can tell it’s spot on.

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski
I have both of those cars and the 75D indicates more range than the P90D at 90%. In real world driving they seem to have the same range. I have noticed that the charge % of the P90D can drop as much as 7% after you park it, which makes me worry that the last 7% could suddenly disappear and cause the car to shut down. For this reason and the fact that the 75D has AP2, it makes it our preferred choice for road trips.

I have both of those cars and the 75D indicates more range than the P90D at 90%. In real world driving they seem to have the same range. I have noticed that the charge % of the P90D can drop as much as 7% after you park it, which makes me worry that the last 7% could suddenly disappear and cause the car to shut down. For this reason and the fact that the 75D has AP2, it makes it our preferred choice for road trips.
Thanks Ames, that’s the same experience I have, good to know I have nothing strange going on.