Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model S 85D New Car Prep, Photosync and Modesta Nano Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The absolute best time to protect your Model S is before any damage occurs. Although it is never to late to apply protection solutions to your vehicle our philosophy is prevention rather than repair. The Model S is designed to be driven, and thus will be susceptible to various weathering. Nano coatings are a great way to add peace of mind as well as add significant protection to all the surfaces of the vehicle.

Our client Chris, contacted us upon doing some research on the best solutions for his brand new 85D Model S. After several discussions and extensive research we landed on Modesta Nano Coatings as the best fit for his vehicle. Modesta's line of coatings offers world class protection and up to 10 years of consistent durability. A perfect solution for both new and used Model S owners.

The coating process for new vehicles is oftentimes much less extensive than needed for used vehicles. This is once again due to bare surfaces being much more susceptible to accumulating defects, swirl marks and contaminants.

Our process starts with a thorough decontamination.

Wheels are thoroughly cleaned and decontaminated

IMG_8436.jpg

IMG_8435.jpg

The paint surface is then taken through a gentle hand wash process. During this process any loose debris is gently cleaned using lambswool mitts and gentle degreasers.

IMG_8441.jpg

After the initial decontamination, the vehicle is chemical decontaminated with an industrial fallout remover. This process removes any ferrous contaminants that embed themselves into the paint surfaces. The key to proper bonding of ANY coating is ensuring the paint surface is perfectly clean and defect free.

IMG_8446.jpg

Here you can see the chemical reaction to the iron contaminants found in the paint surface. This Model S had less than 100 miles on the clock and still showed a good amount of embedded contaminants.

IMG_8447.jpg

Modesta is unlike other coatings solutions in that it is applied in different layers. The first being an acrylic based coating primer P-01A measured to add up to 10 microns of protection to the paint surface. This product is polished on and left to cure for 12h before the glass membrane is applied.

IMG_8452.jpg

IMG_8455.jpg

IMG_8467.jpg

IMG_8469.jpg

After this process Modesta BC-04 is applied using a wet application method. Due to the extreme hardness of this coating product, water is used during application and removal in order to aid the application process.

Applicators and microfiber towels used during this process have to be thrown away as they will crystalize and harden due to the purity and hardness of the Modesta coating.

IMG_8515.jpg

IMG_8516.jpg

Infrared lamps are then used to bake the coating at 130-50*F for 15 min. This increases both the hardness and durability of the coating by further bonding it to the paint surface.

IMG_8525.jpg

IMG_8526.jpg

Then, after curing overnight the vehicle is prepped and ready for delivery after attending to the wheels and various other details.

IMG_8575.jpg

IMG_8566.jpg

IMG_8581.jpg

IMG_8577.jpg

IMG_8588.jpg

IMG_8590.jpg

IMG_8598.jpg

IMG_8599.jpg

IMG_8606.jpg

IMG_8608.jpg

Please contact me regarding your Model S or any questions you may have. We offer many different protection solutions, Modesta being one of our top Nano Coating options.

Modesta is not for everyone but we can find a solution that best fits your vehicle and your needs.

Tim Coats
Owner, Adonis Detail

It was this thread that steered me to trusting Tim with my new 2015 85D Obsidian Black Model S. Here is my post on how it went....

Before you read anything on this post know that it is coming from a very OCD individual when it comes to my nice things. I believe in paying for quality.

I've always been very willing to dedicate full research into products and services. Therefore, it was very important to scour the internet (forums) and product websites to forge a plan for the care for my brand new Tesla 85D (also fully researched prior to purchase). As expected it is very hard to sift through the various posts and vague expertise littered all over the place. In the end I found a resource in Adonis Detail owned by Tim Coats located in SoCal. Please let me tell you my experience......

First off, Tim at Adonis comes with extremely high marks from his previous customers. If he didn't have these I would have never called him. Via email (lightning fast response to my initial questions) Tim was very forthcoming about his process, prices and options with various products he offers. He is an expert installer of Xpel, SunTek and Modesta products I wanted to put on my new Obsidian Black beauty. So, we set up an appointment and I literally picked up my Tesla and drove it from Orange County to Tim's shop straight from the dealership. I wanted as little of the world brushing up against my car before getting it to Tim for protection. He loved this. As hard as it was to pick it up, only to drop it off to a detailer an hour later was a bit unsettling but here's how it went.

Tim is extremely personable and energetic. He greeted me as he was in the middle of working on two other high end vehicles. We started talking about the differences between Xpel vs. SunTek. Coincidentally, he was working on two high end vehicles (one was under the IR lamps) and I was able to see first hand the increased thickness and "orange peel" look of the Xpel vs the more natural looking SunTek application. This is DEFINITELY a personal choice issue as they are both exceptional products. The SunTek comes with half the warranty of Xpel but I thought the look of SunTek was worth it. I of course also asked my usual "now you are going to take of my baby, right?" questions and Tim understood and just kept gently reassuring me. Tim demonstrated in every way that he was as OCD about his work as anyone should expect - as if I was doing the work myself if you will. This was a late Wednesday afternoon and we decided on the New Tesla Front End Package with SunTek PPF, paint correction where needed, Modesta BC-04, and a scheduled time to have the calipers painted red with black Tesla OEM lettering. I gave Tim the little black Fob and off I went.

Throughout the process Tim kept me up to date on the progress. The next day, in a morning panic, I texted Tim about my worries regarding jacking the car up using the correct jackpoints. Tim assured me he was aware of this and that he wouldn't let anything but the right thing happen. Sure enough he sent me photos of the car up on floor jacks with hockey pucks in the exact right locations. Whew! These guys really are professionals!! The calipers were painted by Ron with Custom Calipers who mobilizes to Tim's location. He sent me pictures when they were done and OH MY GOD they are gorgeous! The next day he sent me photos of the custom wrap going on the mirrors, hood, and such. I noticed the the kid was working into the evening like an animal! Still full of energy big time. Two and half days later he informs me that I can pick the car up the next day which is a Sunday! Wow, I was kind of floored that it was done and ready to go so early.

Today I picked up the car and was absolutely blown away. Simply gorgeous and every detail was attended to. All edges wrapped so clean you couldn't tell if you tried. The color was perfect, the shine was glorious and had no light bursts like you get with inferior work. I imagine Tim gets to correct other shop's mistakes often.

In the end, there are many shops that offer detail services. You have ZERO worries taking your beautiful vehicles to Adonis for protection. Call him, trust him, and he will deliver. I am so happy that I did.

It was this thread that steered me to trusting Tim with my new 2015 85D Obsidian Black Model S. Here is my post on how it went....

Before you read anything on this post know that it is coming from a very OCD individual when it comes to my nice things. I believe in paying for quality.

I've always been very willing to dedicate full research into products and services. Therefore, it was very important to scour the internet (forums) and product websites to forge a plan for the care for my brand new Tesla 85D (also fully researched prior to purchase). As expected it is very hard to sift through the various posts and vague expertise littered all over the place. In the end I found a resource in Adonis Detail owned by Tim Coats located in SoCal. Please let me tell you my experience......

First off, Tim at Adonis comes with extremely high marks from his previous customers. If he didn't have these I would have never called him. Via email (lightning fast response to my initial questions) Tim was very forthcoming about his process, prices and options with various products he offers. He is an expert installer of Xpel, SunTek and Modesta products I wanted to put on my new Obsidian Black beauty. So, we set up an appointment and I literally picked up my Tesla and drove it from Orange County to Tim's shop straight from the dealership. I wanted as little of the world brushing up against my car before getting it to Tim for protection. He loved this. As hard as it was to pick it up, only to drop it off to a detailer an hour later was a bit unsettling but here's how it went.

Tim is extremely personable and energetic. He greeted me as he was in the middle of working on two other high end vehicles. We started talking about the differences between Xpel vs. SunTek. Coincidentally, he was working on two high end vehicles (one was under the IR lamps) and I was able to see first hand the increased thickness and "orange peel" look of the Xpel vs the more natural looking SunTek application. This is DEFINITELY a personal choice issue as they are both exceptional products. The SunTek comes with half the warranty of Xpel but I thought the look of SunTek was worth it. I of course also asked my usual "now you are going to take of my baby, right?" questions and Tim understood and just kept gently reassuring me. Tim demonstrated in every way that he was as OCD about his work as anyone should expect - as if I was doing the work myself if you will. This was a late Wednesday afternoon and we decided on the New Tesla Front End Package with SunTek PPF, paint correction where needed, Modesta BC-04, and a scheduled time to have the calipers painted red with black Tesla OEM lettering. I gave Tim the little black Fob and off I went.

Throughout the process Tim kept me up to date on the progress. The next day, in a morning panic, I texted Tim about my worries regarding jacking the car up using the correct jackpoints. Tim assured me he was aware of this and that he wouldn't let anything but the right thing happen. Sure enough he sent me photos of the car up on floor jacks with hockey pucks in the exact right locations. Whew! These guys really are professionals!! The calipers were painted by Ron with Custom Calipers who mobilizes to Tim's location. He sent me pictures when they were done and OH MY GOD they are gorgeous! The next day he sent me photos of the custom wrap going on the mirrors, hood, and such. I noticed the the kid was working into the evening like an animal! Still full of energy big time. Two and half days later he informs me that I can pick the car up the next day which is a Sunday! Wow, I was kind of floored that it was done and ready to go so early.

Today I picked up the car and was absolutely blown away. Simply gorgeous and every detail was attended to. All edges wrapped so clean you couldn't tell if you tried. The color was perfect, the shine was glorious and had no light bursts like you get with inferior work. I imagine Tim gets to correct other shop's mistakes often.

In the end, there are many shops that offer detail services. You have ZERO worries taking your beautiful vehicles to Adonis for protection. Call him, trust him, and he will deliver. I am so happy that I did.

I truly appreciate you trusting us with your S! Was a pleasure working with you on your new Tesla Model S.