Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Accident/Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, embedded player views should be included in the total count.

Yes I agree. However, the count is not that of all views of this video in any form. That would be very difficult. I am just following the performance of the most highly viewed YouTube video to gage the change in interest in the fire MS video in general.
I believe it can serve as a surrogate marker of where we are in this crisis.

Yes I agree. However, the count is not that of all views of this video in any form. That would be very difficult. I am just following the performance of the most highly viewed YouTube video to gage the change in interest in the fire MS video in general.

True -- even if the magnitude of views is understated, the chart line is probably very close. Good to see it dying down. Weekend press headlines mostly read positive re: Elon and Tesla safety.

Yes, of course, I think that should be clear. Thank you so much for doing that. That said, the original video has been re-uploaded by others. The footage has also been included in other material, typically alongside some narrative.

To better answer the question above: the total count provided by YouTube on the original video mep is monitoring should include traffic from several sources, included external pages, which embed this particular video. This is evident in a comparable Google Analytics graph as well.

1bBn3db.png
teslamnl.gif

Last edited:
When I visualize the pole-vault/impale scenario, I keep wondering why the object wouldn't just be pushed along the ground in the direction of vehicle motion.

Torque. The forward force of the car's bumper against the object is applied higher than the object's innate center of gravity, so the force causes the object to tumble forward. This rotation then makes the back end of the object move upward, impaling (in this case) the underside of the car.

Last edited:
Design News -Impact Caused Tesla Battery Fire

Mechanical deformation of a battery's casing can be particularly problematic for high-energy lithium-ion batteries, experts said. "In a lithium-ion battery, you've got electrodes that are tens of microns from one another," Elton Cairns, a professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering at the University of California-Berkeley said during a 2011 discussion with Design News. "If you deform the cell case and it causes the electrodes to touch one another, there's an internal short circuit. That can cause the cell to rapidly discharge and, in so doing, heat up."

Such occurrences are rare, however. A Tesla spokeswoman told Design News that the Model S has collectively been driven 83 million miles at this point, with dozens of known accidents, and no such battery problems, until now.

There has to be a practical limit to how much reinforcement is used.

Look at how thin walled Gas tanks are. If anything, they should be reviewing THAT. I had no idea there were so many ICE fires every day. It seems like ICE cars are the ones that need a redesign not Tesla. If the Fire Department had known what they were doing (hopefully they do now) the front end of the car would never have caught fire and we wouldn't be having this discussion. If that had been a Gasoline powered vehicle we'd probably be talking about a death. Only nobody would be talking about it... because it's so common. ;)

A recent example of road debris. These are wooden palettes that dropped from the truck on the right up ahead. He was pulling over at the time of this frame of my dashcam video. The palette on the left was sliding in the wind. I had no problem avoiding this particular obstacle, but it did make me think of Kent immediately

RoadDebris.png

Design News - 'Bizarre' Incident Led to Tesla Battery Fire

Experts who spoke with Design News agreed that the circumstances, as described by Musk, were probably impossible to anticipate and impractical to design for, even if they could be foreseen. "It was way beyond the normal expectations of any accident," David Cole, chairman emeritus of The Center for Automotive Research, told us. "You can't design for everything."

"As a practical matter, you would never design for anything as bizarre as this," added Steven Eppinger, professor of management science and innovation at MIT. "In principle, you can design for every accident that might ever happen. But in reality, even if you could think of them all, it's impractical to design for every possibility."