TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S and Model T Race

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by muleferg, Jan 21, 2014.

1. muleferg

muleferg Member

Feb. Issue of Car and Driver. Detroit to Long Island.:love:

2. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Not familiar with the route, seems Model S will have to go round south a bit to get to the superchargers (Somerset?)

3. 772

772 Member

Depending on when this takes place, I'd guess about 15-16 hours for the Model S using the supercharger route on Ohio Turnpike, Penn Turnpike, Hagerstown, Newark, etc (~770 miles). The direct route on I-80 is ~100 miles shorter. A normal ICE could do this in about 12 hours depending on breaks for gas and food.

4. Luder94

Luder94 Member

5. donv

donv Member

I thought it was a pretty good article. They actually spent most of the article talking about the Model T's trip, because the Tesla trip was really pretty boring. There weren't any superchargers along the route, but they found a couple of HPWCs to use. With superchargers, it would be even more of a non-story.

Also, the T had a few mods (not surprising, given it's age) including a newer two speed gearbox which gave it a top speed of something like 55 mph.

The S won by about an hour... although it sounded like the T guys probably needed at least a day to recover from the experience!