Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S battery discharge while stationary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. Let me first state that I am not a EE and would appreciate it if any responses were "dumbed down" into bite size words which can be understood by the majority of the community. I have a 2015 model S (bought new) which has just experienced a significant battery discharge while at work. I work approximately 25 miles from my home and usually charge up to 80% (225 miles) . I live on the East Coast, but the winter this year has overall been milder than usual. There was one weekend about a month ago where the temp got down to 14 degrees, but it is usually cold in the mornings (20-30s) and moderate (40-50s) in the afternoon. I am usually around 175 miles, when I get to work and about 140 miles when I get home. I didn't look this morning to see how many miles I had left when I got to work, but the car was at 90 miles when I got in it at work to go home. It was under 50 miles when I actually got home. Any thoughts besides making a request for service? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Hi there. Let me first state that I am not a EE and would appreciate it if any responses were "dumbed down" into bite size words which can be understood by the majority of the community. I have a 2015 model S (bought new) which has just experienced a significant battery discharge while at work. I work approximately 25 miles from my home and usually charge up to 80% (225 miles) . I live on the East Coast, but the winter this year has overall been milder than usual. There was one weekend about a month ago where the temp got down to 14 degrees, but it is usually cold in the mornings (20-30s) and moderate (40-50s) in the afternoon. I am usually around 175 miles, when I get to work and about 140 miles when I get home. I didn't look this morning to see how many miles I had left when I got to work, but the car was at 90 miles when I got in it at work to go home. It was under 50 miles when I actually got home. Any thoughts besides making a request for service? Has anyone else had a similar experience?
The simplest answer is: Take note how much charge does it take so it doesn't leave you stranded on the road.

If it takes more, charge more. Just that simple.

Otherwise, what does the battery gauge at the start of idling parking at work and what is it when you got back to the car at work to go home.

The numbers that you gave 90 down to 50 is not when the car was stationary.

Upvote 0
Avoid service. They will just tell you it's normal...until you are out of warranty.

All 4 pumps run at 100% anytime you are above 77%, keeping the car awake, increasing vampire drain. This is true of all old 85 packs after the infamous updates starting in 2019, aka, the 'gates.

Try charging to 75%. Listen to see if the pumps turn off and the car sleeps. Teslafi is a great thing to have in this regard, if you don't already.

Upvote 0
Avoid service. They will just tell you it's normal...until you are out of warranty.

All 4 pumps run at 100% anytime you are above 77%, keeping the car awake, increasing vampire drain. This is true of all old 85 packs after the infamous updates starting in 2019, aka, the 'gates.

Try charging to 75%. Listen to see if the pumps turn off and the car sleeps. Teslafi is a great thing to have in this regard, if you don't already.
Well, that's partially true. The coolant pumps do run for a few hours (maybe 3) after finishing a charge with an SoC above 77%. That'll knock you back a percent of battery pretty quickly, but then they turn off and the car should sleep. My car did not top off this morning and it has only been awake for about 4 1/2 hours today (as of around 7:30pm.)

+1 to using TeslaFi to give you an idea of how much battery drain you're getting. It's pretty useful and will tell you how much battery you're losing to phantom drain.

FWIW, I charged my 2015 to 90% on Thursday of last week and it is only down to 78% now while being parked since then.

Upvote 0