Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S battery preconditioning before supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed for the first time my 2019 100D preconditioning the battery for supercharging. Did we also have this before or is this a result of the latest update? I have never seen it on my Model S!

Attachments

• 20201015_221341.jpg
    20201015_221341.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 129
The software started this in early 2020. It really only kicks in when the battery is cold (and is probably related to dendrite formation from fast charging with a cold battery which seems related to 'batterygate')... the preconditioning in the S is nowhere near the level of preconditioning that the 3 battery experiennces

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
The change log I keep indicates that software release notes for my 2016 refresh MS90D first mentioned supercharger precondition in V9.0 release 2019.12.1.1 which I received on May 1, 2019.

Having said that, I also have just recently started observing the notification at top of the navigation directions to indicate when preconditioning is actually happening. I do suspect the notification for me is somewhat new. This seems to be since I received the first V10.2 2020.36.3.1, which only has the notation in release notes of minor corrections and bug fixes. I know I had a few supercharging sessions back in the April 2020 timeframe where I had only driven about 50 miles in cool weather to my first supercharger stop, so consistent with times I've seen it since mid-September, would have expected the alert to show up if it was actually in software that far back.

Reactions: Silvercloud
Resurrecting an old thread.

Last summer, I also had the popup about battery preconditioning. This week-end, it did not show, but I observed unusual higher consumption (220wh/km - 350wh/m) until I reached the SuC. Before I left, car had been parked for 5h, outside, with mild temp (20C/75F). Leg to the Suc was 70km/44m.
Arrived with 20%, and got the usual post 2019 speed of 90kW, then slowing down, following %SoC+kW = 110...100.
So it charged "fast", as if the battery was indeed at the right temp.
Charged for 15' and resumed the journey.

On that second leg (leading to home, so no more SuC as destination), consumption was again normal, 195wh/km - 310wh/m. Same conditions (heading east, strong wind in the back, similar speed).

Feels like the battery did precondition but without the popup.
Anyone else experienced this? Other views?