Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Black Horizontal Line In MCU Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 Model S P85. I have a black horizontal line that goes across the top of my MCU screen. I have tried rebooting the system and it does not go away. It has not gotten worse but it is annoying. I have attached a picture. Any fixes for this?

Attachments

• 95704746-2E5C-4BD7-96F2-7A2CA6377641.jpeg
    95704746-2E5C-4BD7-96F2-7A2CA6377641.jpeg
    561.5 KB · Views: 613
It’s at the way top and does not bother me that much. If it gets worse then I will consider it but would want to replace it myself. The car is not under warranty. Is that possible with Tesla’s? Is there a tech section that highlights this stuff? Does it require Tesla proprietary software for programming or is it plug and play?

Unfortunately I think the only fix is a new screen. $$$

It’s at the way top and does not bother me that much. If it gets worse then I will consider it but would want to replace it myself. The car is not under warranty. Is that possible with Tesla’s? Is there a tech section that highlights this stuff? Does it require Tesla proprietary software for programming or is it plug and play?
I don't know specifically about the screen, but many parts require require Tesla's proprietary software to "activate". Tesla goes out of their way to prevent do-it-yourself repairs.

Reactions: Sidewayzgtjb
Hard to tell from the picture but is that the bubble/leaking liquid issue that plagued early Model S screens? If not then it looks like a row of dead pixels. Either way, it looks like a screen replacement.

If you are not under warranty and can wait a bit, you may want to wait for the MCU 2 upgrade to be available as the cost is not far off from a replacement MCU 1.

I had that same issue on my 2015 S85D. Fortunately, it was under warranty and they replaced it. It is the "bubble" issue. It did not affect the car at all other than the aesthetic. The screen worked fine for some time with the problem, until I was able to be without the car for a couple of days, and then they had to get the part in. I am sure it is pricey if not warranty. I imagine as someone else said, you should wait for the MCU 2 offer to come to us (I have not had it yet) and then you know you are in for approx $2500 if you choose to fix it. But I can say that it does not affect operation, just the look from my experience.

Reactions: Sidewayzgtjb
It looks like more fluid is disappearing everyday but I don’t see any leaks or wet spots underneath? My question is, what does that fluid do? I’m guessing it cools but it does not affect the functionality of the screen. The screen works perfectly fine where there is no fluid. If I let it all evaporate out, what can happen?

It looks like more fluid is disappearing everyday but I don’t see any leaks or wet spots underneath? My question is, what does that fluid do? I’m guessing it cools but it does not affect the functionality of the screen. The screen works perfectly fine where there is no fluid. If I let it all evaporate out, what can happen?

The fluid leaks behind the MCU and pools back there eventually damaging cables/wire harnesses. It's a sticky viscous goo. Rich Rebuilds (YouTube) showed what it looked like when he changed the screen on his MCU in one of his videos.

The fluid leaks behind the MCU and pools back there eventually damaging cables/wire harnesses. It's a sticky viscous goo. Rich Rebuilds (YouTube) showed what it looked like when he changed the screen on his MCU in one of his videos.
Thanks for the reply. I looked on YouTube under “Rich Rebuilds” and could not find the video that you are taking about? Can you please direct me to it or give me the name of the video? I need to show my wife to justify the purchase lol. I can get a brand new MCU screen for under $500 and install it myself. I don’t think I need the $2500 MCU upgrade on a 2013. Thank you!

Last edited: