Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S blinking Morse code with headlights when parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I verified - our 2018 car blinks every time it wakes up for whatever reason. I can repro it easily by just parking it for a while, let it "fall asleep", then just connecting the app to it will launch the blinking sequence. Of course the car periodically wakes up on its own too, so it blinks then. It also wakes up when I pull up in a second Tesla and click the charger handle (not the one plugged in, but the one to be used for the second Tesla). The 2015 car doesn't seem to blink when awaken (maybe because sleep is disabled on that one, MCU1 has a low power mode which MCU2 does not).

I just started a thread not knowing about this one. This happen a couple of times I've notice from the camera system that records a clip if anything changes in the view. Had a couple of clips showing it doing this in the middle of the night At 1:27am.

Another data point. I noticed this happened to my car yesterday when I returned to it from a late meeting. Made me nervous at first that I had a headlight out then I realized they were blinking in a sequence.

Eventually figured it was either a software bug or some easter egg triggering.

Another data point. I noticed this happened to my car yesterday when I returned to it from a late meeting. Made me nervous at first that I had a headlight out then I realized they were blinking in a sequence.

Eventually figured it was either a software bug or some easter egg triggering.
You sig says you have 2 Model S, when you went to plug in the 2015 the 2019 woke up because it "heard" the charger button press, hence the blinks. Happens now every time our 2015 comes home and 2018 is sleeping.

You sig says you have 2 Model S, when you went to plug in the 2015 the 2019 woke up because it "heard" the charger button press, hence the blinks. Happens now every time our 2015 comes home and 2018 is sleeping.

I can understand that theory (and it's good to know) but I no longer own the 2015 as it was destroyed in an accident. It has been sitting on a Copart auction lot in Philadelphia since May (just sold apparently) although it is still registered to my account (I already requested it be removed) and will still respond to the app when I ping it.

In my case yesterday, I was not home but rather returning to my car which was in a parking lot. The car was not plugged in or charging. When I unlocked the doors and got in the car, I noticed the headlights flickering.

My 2017 Model S has 28.3 and flashed the lights at:
11:24pm last night
12:39am
12:46am
1:49am
2:56am
4:04am
4:12am

I have a Wyze cam that recorded the events. It occurred in my garage. I have Sentry mode enabled except for at home. I thought the issue was happening because I had recently installed a dashcam and maybe it was draining the battery. Sentry wont save videos to USB in my car as I have HW 2.0.

Last edited:
I can understand that theory (and it's good to know) but I no longer own the 2015 as it was destroyed in an accident. It has been sitting on a Copart auction lot in Philadelphia since May (just sold apparently) although it is still registered to my account (I already requested it be removed) and will still respond to the app when I ping it.

In my case yesterday, I was not home but rather returning to my car which was in a parking lot. The car was not plugged in or charging. When I unlocked the doors and got in the car, I noticed the headlights flickering.
The car blinks whenever awakened. In your case you did that when you unlocked it.

We know Karpathy says Tesla has the ability to "poll" the fleet for footage of certain training scenarios. I wonder if these wake-up moments are requests from the mothership to wake up and send some data back.
For as long as we've had our cars (2016), we've seen them regularly wake up every few hours throughout the night and connect to wifi. Most of the time, it looks like they are just "phoning home" and checking for updates.

With that being said, we didn't see the lights flash as they have recently. We just saw the cars pop onto the wifi for a couple minutes and then disconnect.