Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S blinking Morse code with headlights when parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmm... haven't seen it myself but I do know from my old Navy days that "AA" in Morse Code meant the operator was calling "unknown station." This was used when the radio operator was hearing some other station but the meaning and the origin was unclear. In response, the receiving operator would send a series of "AA" in the hope that the other (sending) party would realize that his signal was not understood.

Perhaps in Tesla world this means your vehicle is sending a signal such as: "Unknown Station: What the heck do you want from me?"

Christine all over?

Feel free to post your own theories.

I experienced this same behavior yesterday when parking my car in my garage. I used Summon (via key fob) to finish the park, then locked the car with the fob (something I hardly ever do). After that, it performed the same headlight blink pattern that others have observed.

I had it happen, or observed it happen after I installed the latest software update. I happened to be in the garage and noticed light flashing. No key fob in pocket, no phone Tesla app. It stopped doing it after I left the garage.

Right now my vehicle is in the garage, plugged in but otherwise asleep (charging won't begin for another 5 hours). Twice this evening through the cat door into our garage I've seen the headlights -- only one at a time -- go on for a few seconds, then go off again. I'd rush into the garage and it would be like left, right, left, then all quiet again. Sometimes one of the yellow parking lights would go on. No alarms, Sentry mode is off. The cats weren't in the garage. I even went outside to see if someone was trying to spoof the key ... no one on the streets.

I don't believe in ghosts but ... anyone heard of this before?

Thanks!

I noticed this last night on my 2017 S90D while I was in my garage to get something...one headlight came on for a few seconds - I thought it was the Sentry mode, but I have it turned off in the garage - and then the other headlight did the same thing while I stood there - it illuminated for about 4-5 seconds, then went off. Never went on again, no alarm, and no warnings inside...and I haven't seen it again, although I suspect you'd have to time it just right as it is fast and random...

I had it happen, or observed it happen after I installed the latest software update. I happened to be in the garage and noticed light flashing. No key fob in pocket, no phone Tesla app. It stopped doing it after I left the garage.
Same here after last update... Also when getting into the car in the garage, driver side headlight flashing, probably the same when outside, but I simply don't notice.

I noticed this for the first time last night. Also on 2019.28.2. I was in a restaurant and saw it happen as I was walking back to my car. Seemed to be triggered by my key fob coming within range of the car. The passenger side turned on first, and it was like a gradual fade on - fade off. Not an instant on and off like I would expect some diagnostic check to be. Definitely not how the light normally turns on. And then the driver's side came on, and it was shorter.
I do also get the feeling that this might be intentional and part of some undisclosed plan.

Reactions: StarLog
I can reproduce this precisely.
Every time I open the Tesla App in my phone, the car wakes up (when you hear the clicking sounds), that is the time the light start blinking once. When the car sleeps again, and you wake it up (by opening the app for example, but also by unlocking with the Fob), the blinking sequence starts (once).

Software 2019.28.2
Model S Mid-2018

Same exact software version, same exact problem (including ability to reproduce)

It seems to contain three or more durations, which I don't think is Morse (which has dot and dash, and the duration of a dash is three times the duration of a dot.)

Mine did it today after being parked for some time (Sentry was off) and I pushed the door handle without the key with me, so there does seem a way to get it on-demand.