Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Booster Seat Compatibility Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased three Graco AFFIX Highback Booster Car Seats for a VW Touareg, Nissan Leaf and a Tesla Model S. The booster seat fits well in all of the cars but the Model S. The canting of the outer edge of the rear Model S seat forces the car seat to be offset to the center, causing the associated seat belt buckle to be unusable. As an immediate fix, I have been using the center seat belt buckle. I didn't feel that this was an appropriate long term solution and I started researching recommended car seats or other workarounds from other Model S owners. I have found several references that the seat belt extenders are not a viable or approved option due to safety concerns, as my understanding is there intended use is for individuals that are unable to use a traditional seat belt. This took them out of the running for me. In the reviews that I read, I found that the Recaro Performance booster seat had multiple recommendations. After much debate, I decided to purchased one with the idea that I would return if it didn't live up to the recommendations. I received it today and installed it to find that this is a great solution to the design of the Model S backseat. The Recaro booster seat footprint is small enough to rest within the seat allowing for just enough room to use the associated seat belt buckle, thus rendering all of the seat belt buckles usable in the back seat. The bonus of the Recaro is that the seat itself is well cushioned and extremely comfortable for my 4 year old. He was super excited that he could un-clip his seat belt, like he can in the other cars all by himself. Additionally, I also purchased the Diono "Grip It" which has proven to be a great compliment to the Recaro. I was previously using the Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seatsaver and found it to be too rigid for the Model S. Total cost of purchase was approximately $109 on Amazon, both items have the fit and feel of products costing much more. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions about my experience.

Which back seat position did you install the seat? I'm thinking about putting the Recaro in the center. It looks like a big seat. I hope that I still have room for my two teenage girls to fit on each side.

Here are the pictures of the booster seat installed in my Model S. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 767
Thanks for the info on the Recaro seat. I am still using a full Diono carseat for my daughter, but would like to get a booster in there instead as the Diono is a pain in the butt to get in and out, and also weighs a ton. Just ordered the Recaro and we'll see how it goes. I had previously tried a Graco and had the same problem with not being able to access the seat belt buckle.

I bought Graco Affix Car Seat, Stargazer - Black, and added a short seatbelt extender. I don't know where you read they aren't legal or safe but they are safe and are legal to use not just for people who won't fit but for car seats that the belt can't be reached. My son loves it because he can clip himself in easily now - something he's always needed help with before in any car.

I bought Graco Affix Car Seat, Stargazer - Black, and added a short seatbelt extender. I don't know where you read they aren't legal or safe but they are safe and are legal to use not just for people who won't fit but for car seats that the belt can't be reached. My son loves it because he can clip himself in easily now - something he's always needed help with before in any car.

I would be interested to know what sources you found that evidence those are safe to use for booster seat installation (and specifically which ones). For something that important I would want substantial ilaffirmative evidence of its safety in line with independent third party crash testing done on cars and safety testing done on car seats or something equivalent.

I'll preface this by saying I use a small rigid seat belt extender too. There is also no law saying you shouldn't use it, but pretty much ever car seat/booster manufacturer tells you not to do it. As well many car manufacturers tell you not to use one (didn't check Tesla's manual).

With all that being said, using a seat belt extender is not the best option. It adds more points of failure in an accident, and if you bought a longer seat belt extender, you are changing the geometry of the seatbelt, which is very dangerous.

The seatbelt should go across the childs lap, not stomach. Many seat belt extenders make this impossible. If the seat belt goes across the stomach, in an accident, it may cause internal organ damage - which is the whole point of the booster, it routes the seatbelt over their laps and prevents this.

We only use them in the Tesla, not my wife's car (her buckles are easily accessible). But I might switch my daughter to a backless narrow-base booster, soon, and get rid of the extender; as there are safety concerns with extenders.

YMMV

I would be interested to know what sources you found that evidence those are safe to use for booster seat installation (and specifically which ones). For something that important I would want substantial ilaffirmative evidence of its safety in line with independent third party crash testing done on cars and safety testing done on car seats or something equivalent.
I'm pretty sure there are no seat belt extenders that have been tested with booster seats. It's too much of a liability.

Last edited:

Please reference the top right statement in the attached image.

"Warning: Do not use seat belt extenders on a seat belt that is being used for a child safety seat or booster seat."

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.PNG
    IMG_0143.PNG
    988.8 KB · Views: 716
  • NHTSA%20_CarSeatRecommendationsForChildren.pdf
    370.9 KB · Views: 68
Thanks for the pics. That's a big one alright. I'll see how it fits in the center when mine arrives tomorrow.
Thanks for the info on the Recaro seat. I am still using a full Diono carseat for my daughter, but would like to get a booster in there instead as the Diono is a pain in the butt to get in and out, and also weighs a ton. Just ordered the Recaro and we'll see how it goes. I had previously tried a Graco and had the same problem with not being able to access the seat belt buckle.

What are your thoughts on the Recaro?

Whacked myself in the eye putting Cosco child seat (11 mo) in back. Used a rolled towel under under the foot which is nearest the rear (Seat faces rear). It fits, but.... I said "D***** seat, anyway." It's a pain. I think we'll just leave it there and not haul any adults for a few years until the kid is grown.