Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Cabin Heater Stopped Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting ready to change out the PTC heater & 40a fuse on my 2016 MS 75D October Build. Heat was flakey for years would cut in and out. Last week the fuse blew and it scared the crap out of me. Any good lessons learned changing that fuse. I was around the FJB area last year changed the heat pump. I saw my FJB has cables coming in on the drivers side when looking from front of vehicle. Im guessing I will need to remove all cables and remove FJB completely seeing lid is against firewall :(. I don't have the means to drop the battery

I tried and failed. Eventually ended up taking to Tesla as it got cold and my wife primarily drives the Model S.

I'd be curious to see what tools you use. I don't think I'd remove the FJB. Might be easier to remove just the lid. The bottom bolts are a real bitch on it.

I tried and failed. Eventually ended up taking to Tesla as it got cold and my wife primarily drives the Model S.

I'd be curious to see what tools you use. I don't think I'd remove the FJB. Might be easier to remove just the lid. The bottom bolts are a real bitch on it.
I'm pretty sure my lid is up against the firewall of the car so won't have access to it. I will document and record with go-pro everything. Not too much on youtube on this common problem.

I'm pretty sure my lid is up against the firewall of the car so won't have access to it. I will document and record with go-pro everything. Not too much on youtube on this common problem.

I have a 75D too. It's close to the firewall but there is space to get it off. The lid is pretty big though.

If you're in there I suggest changing both fuses at once too, might as well.

Make sure to disconnect the firemans loop so its de-energized.

I think I have the fuses somewhere too. If you are interested in buying them, I can try to find them ship them to you.

I have a 75D too. It's close to the firewall but there is space to get it off. The lid is pretty big though.

If you're in there I suggest changing both fuses at once too, might as well.

Make sure to disconnect the firemans loop so its de-energized.

I think I have the fuses somewhere too. If you are interested in buying them, I can try to find them ship them to you.
Those are some great points I already bought the one fuse for $45 from TSLA, and got the latest gen PTC heater from ebay NIB for $330. I will pickup another fuse at the service center. I need to get this swapped out pretty quick heated garage but here in Chicago still chilly. The heated seats and a winter jacket has worked well in the short term ;) . BTW I have 148K miles on this model S

Reactions: Cheburashka
Those are some great points I already bought the one fuse for $45 from TSLA, and got the latest gen PTC heater from ebay NIB for $330. I will pickup another fuse at the service center. I need to get this swapped out pretty quick heated garage but here in Chicago still chilly. The heated seats and a winter jacket has worked well in the short term ;) . BTW I have 148K miles on this model S

Mine went around 120k miles.

I put a curse on the bloodline of the Tesla engineer that thought it would be a good idea to put two fuses in a nearly unserviceable location.

How did the fuse change go? I have a 2016 75D. I just changed the PTC heater and still have the same errors and no heat. I assume it's the fuse unless the heater I bought from eBay is bad.