Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S changes in 3 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had a brand new 100D loaner, and was comparing it to my 3yo P85DL. I was surprised that there haven't been many big updates in 3 years, specifically what I noticed and liked:
  • Felt in the door handle pockets
  • Rear cupholders (how was this overlooked originally?)
  • Nicer clarity (resolution) on backup camera (possibly the whole screen?)
  • I love the newer nose design
The new AutoPilot seemed pretty similar to AP1 in terms of using it. Except the one thing I can't stand is the lack of the "turn off AutoPilot" button. How do you guys disable AP normally without a button to do it? Just hit the brake?

I also noticed that the now built-in center console's top sliding doors don't open as far, and it is pretty much impossible to fit two large cups in the inside cupholders. In the official center console I added on to mine, I can easily fit two 32-oz cups down in there.

I just went from a 2015 85D to 2018 P100D. There are lots of small changes and updates. In addition to what you wrote:
- LED headlights (adaptive)
- HEPA cabin air filter
- Rear USB ports
- New graphite trim in place of aluminum inside
- Much faster MCU (main screen)
- New Autopilot of course

I'm not sure if I like the new console or not yet. I liked having lots of space in the ol' bowling alley before.

I recently had a brand new 100D loaner, and was comparing it to my 3yo P85DL. I was surprised that there haven't been many big updates in 3 years, specifically what I noticed and liked:
  • Felt in the door handle pockets
  • Rear cupholders (how was this overlooked originally?)
  • Nicer clarity (resolution) on backup camera (possibly the whole screen?)
  • I love the newer nose design
The new AutoPilot seemed pretty similar to AP1 in terms of using it. Except the one thing I can't stand is the lack of the "turn off AutoPilot" button. How do you guys disable AP normally without a button to do it? Just hit the brake?

I also noticed that the now built-in center console's top sliding doors don't open as far, and it is pretty much impossible to fit two large cups in the inside cupholders. In the official center console I added on to mine, I can easily fit two 32-oz cups down in there.

Generally all pretty minor stuff. I had a 100D loaner a number of months back, and I was surprised at how little it's changed. I'm convinced that some significant changes are coming soon.

I'm currently in the process of selling my early 2016 (before the fascia redesign) 70 to get into a 75D and there seemed to be a lot of changes when I ran a list through my head. I am probably even missing a lot. Whether they all were good is up for debate, though. ;)
  1. Upgraded Autopilot hardware (8 cameras instead of 2, better ultrasonic sensors) for full self driving capabiilty
  2. Autopilot software is technically different and maybe more capable when they get there (not counting FSD)
  3. MCU is 40x faster
  4. Redesigned frontend fascia
  5. Liftgate is now standard
  6. Smart Air Suspension is now standard
  7. 0-60 mph is now 4.2 seconds for base model (previously 5.6 seconds)
  8. Center console is now standard (previously yacht floor was standard)
  9. Wheels changed from the dual 5 spoke to Slipstream
  10. Cupholders in the back(!!)
  11. USB ports in the back, too
  12. The seats have changed and seem more comfortable
  13. The headlights were changed to LED and adaptive
  14. Biodefense mode in the premium upgrades package
  15. Only AWD models available
  16. Frunk was shrunk (boo!)
  17. Sunvisor mirrors are now lighted
  18. Glass roof is now standard instead of solid
  19. I think they changed the material for the headliner (away from Alcantara?)
I'm sure there's probably another few dozen changes so I'm wondering if anyone else can fill in those blanks since I haven't gotten into my new S yet.

I'm currently in the process of selling my early 2016 (before the fascia redesign) 70 to get into a 75D and there seemed to be a lot of changes when I ran a list through my head. I am probably even missing a lot. Whether they all were good is up for debate, though. ;)
  1. Upgraded Autopilot hardware (8 cameras instead of 2, better ultrasonic sensors) for full self driving capabiilty
  2. Autopilot software is technically different and maybe more capable when they get there (not counting FSD)
  3. MCU is 40x faster
I'm sure there's probably another few dozen changes so I'm wondering if anyone else can fill in those blanks since I haven't gotten into my new S yet.

Yes... but really it's all just frippery. And making an option standard isn't really a change. Arguably it's a step backward.

3. MCU is 40x faster

I don't believe a power/movable headrest on the premium seats has been mentioned yet. This was add in the 2017 time frame.

Seriously love my 2017 S75. Got premium seat package and was surprised that seats are not leather. Also, lumbar support is about 1/3 that of spouses’ 2016 S75. Told by Tesla service unable to fix or switch out seats. Getting after market seat covers (seats after playing tennis = yuck) and have PIA lumbar pillow. Otherwise enjoying my car.