Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S console from Taptes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have it in my car. The leathers that are glued on the plastic on top drawer cover, they are now not glued to the plastic after a few months. I had to re-wrap leather and reapply glue to it. Stitchings along both side of the console does not match the Tesla original stitchings around the car. Otherwise, it's a fine unit.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I have it in my car. The leathers that are glued on the plastic on top drawer cover, they are now not glued to the plastic after a few months. I had to re-wrap leather and reapply glue to it. Stitchings along both side of the console does not match the Tesla original stitchings around the car. Otherwise, it's a fine unit.
How did you install it?? I just bought one, but it's going to destroy my arm rest if I push it in place!!- it's too long for the space-

I just received mine today- It does not fit in the car- It bangs against the center cup holder, and will not slide into place. If I was to push it hard to get it in place, it would destroy my arm rest!! Has anyone got any tips to getting it in the car? (I even tried taking it apart to get it in, but doesnt work either!!

HI,

Has anyone purchased this Tesla Model S console from Taptes?

Is it easy to install...decent quality?

Center Console Insert for Tesla Model S June 2012-May 2016
HI,

I just received my center console from Taptes today- It does NOT fit in the car- It bangs against the center cup holder, and will not slide into place. If I was to push it hard to get it in place, it would destroy my arm rest!! Has anyone got any tips to getting it in the car? (I even tried taking it apart to get it in, but doesn't work either!!

HI,

I purchased one of these, and I too felt it was to big, and I would damage my arm rest getting it in. All the Taptes video shows them just sliding it in, but I believe it was before Tesla added the bottom shelf. What I read on line, and found what worked for me was (and Yes you will have to work up the courage to try this) you have to use more force than you think is possible to push it down past the arm rest. I put a towel between the armrest and the console (read that on line too) to help prevent damage. I found it awkward and still couldn't get it in, so I approached the console from the back seat. Pushed down with steady pressure, first enough to get past the top of the arm rest, then past the rest of the way and it fell in to play easily after that! POPPED on the sides and it looks like it belongs there. As for quality and longevity I can not speak of this yet. I Googled installed and read other peoples post and steady pressure is what you need. NOW take this as advise and do what you will with it. Good luck.

Reactions: evalst2018
I purchased one of these, and I too felt it was to big, and I would damage my arm rest getting it in. All the Taptes video shows them just sliding it in, but I believe it was before Tesla added the bottom shelf. What I read on line, and found what worked for me was (and Yes you will have to work up the courage to try this) you have to use more force than you think is possible to push it down past the arm rest. I put a towel between the armrest and the console (read that on line too) to help prevent damage. I found it awkward and still couldn't get it in, so I approached the console from the back seat. Pushed down with steady pressure, first enough to get past the top of the arm rest, then past the rest of the way and it fell in to play easily after that! POPPED on the sides and it looks like it belongs there. As for quality and longevity I can not speak of this yet. I Googled installed and read other peoples post and steady pressure is what you need. NOW take this as advise and do what you will with it. Good luck.

How did you manage to pop the side panels in? Seems impossible to get it in under between the bottom shelf and top of console!

I just received mine today- It does not fit in the car- It bangs against the center cup holder, and will not slide into place. If I was to push it hard to get it in place, it would destroy my arm rest!! Has anyone got any tips to getting it in the car? (I even tried taking it apart to get it in, but doesnt work either!!
Haven't tried this one, but are you installing it from the passenger side? I bought a used 1st gen for my 2013, feared damaging the armrest. I then tried is from the passenger side and it worked - even with the thickness of the terry cloth towel I used to protect the armrest.

I have received and installed one recently.
It's a piece of poo.
It does not fit like in their video.
I had to disassemble it to install - there are about 4 screws at the arm rest end of it.
Beware that reassembling is difficult - you will have to insert screws in a very tight space.
Be prepared to fish them out w. a magnet from under the seats.

As for the build quality - see pictures
IMG_20190715_202732.jpg
IMG_20190715_202504.jpg
IMG_20190715_202324.jpg
Unevenly glued "leather" staples poking through.
Cheap plastic.
Badly working flip cover.

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_202330.jpg
    IMG_20190715_202330.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 151
I have received and installed one recently.
It's a piece of poo.
It does not fit like in their video.
I had to disassemble it to install - there are about 4 screws at the arm rest end of it.
Beware that reassembling is difficult - you will have to insert screws in a very tight space.
Be prepared to fish them out w. a magnet from under the seats.

As for the build quality - see picturesView attachment 435835 View attachment 435836 View attachment 435837 .
Unevenly glued "leather" staples poking through.
Cheap plastic.
Badly working flip cover.
Gosh, have you ever tried to contact taptes? It's a very expensive product! You need to let them know.:eek:

I wanted an OEM center console but couldn’t find one anywhere, and the new price at Tesla (even if they ever came back into stock) was eye-watering. I didn’t like the look of the Evannex one. Even after reading all the horror stories here, I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on a Taptes one.

Ordered online 5/9, delivery notification via email 5/21, showed up at my door 5/28.

Some of the stitching was a little uneven, but otherwise no glaring quality issues. Once I got the console in the car, I couldn’t tell there was any asymmetry to the stitching.

I was a little afraid I wouldn’t be able to get the thing in over my matching yacht floor after reading some horror stories on this site. I took a thin dish towel and laid it over my armrest, then angled the center console down under my cubby, then sort of leaned on the console and it popped right into place. The whole ordeal took about 5 seconds. Now it fits quite snugly. I imagine that removal would be quite difficult.

I figured I’d wait a couple months of opening/closing and using it to be sure it didn’t have any major quality issues before posting a report here. But I’ve had no complaints. Based just on my experience, I would definitely recommend it to someone who wanted an OEM replica center console.

Attachments

• 11D64595-4479-40A3-9619-23DD986FF474.jpeg
    11D64595-4479-40A3-9619-23DD986FF474.jpeg
    366.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 33E71896-B9AD-49ED-86B6-7A615D8124DD.jpeg
    33E71896-B9AD-49ED-86B6-7A615D8124DD.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 183
I am not an employee but... just kidding I have had mine for months, my story is Mobile tech came to the house to fix my door handle that would not present. She was ready to install the software, and was wondering why she couldn't get the factory center console to disassemble properly, I had to remind her it was after market. She was surprised by its fit and quality. We got to the imputes and software was installed. I am happy with it, is it the same as a $1900 console from Tesla NO, but it didn't cost 1900 so that wouldn't be a fair comparison. 4 ish months in, and it still looks and operates like it did on day one. just my opinion.