Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S design presentation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is really important for me. I hope this gets to the interface designers. Based on some of the flower petal interface where they showed a center Tesla Logo on surrounded it with a 3D wheel and various levels of access to different functions I was going crazy looking at it 'cause i can't take my eyes off the center spelling.

I have found in my own home that I absolutely cannot have any writing near my Television set. No singage, no stacks of VHS videos (when you could read the title on the spine) and I regularly remove or tape over the Screen manufacture's name when I buy a TV. The Network and Cable TV practice of adding those "buttons" and videos in the bottom corners on TV shows distract me to no end. With some cable networks who go too far I even lean a card over the corner of the TV to block logo animations and tiny ad people.

So where am I going with this? The center of the petal screens showed the Tesla shield logo and I kept reading the word T-E-S-L-A. Over and over again. I would prefer if they would go with a simple color or design even a 3-D ball (it could have a shadow from the 3D interface) or something like HAL's lens but please just remove the writing. Yeah I know to them it's branding so maybe just go with only the stylized "T" or even take it even more secondary read stylized (Franz can work something up) just please, have no letters showing.

Thank You.

Has anyone found a Youtube or downloadable version of these two presentations? The tv.adobe.com feed isn't reliable enough to tolerate trying to view. I just gave up after 20 minutes of repeatedly kicking the stream to continue the playback.

Thanks TEG. Of course, that's just a little 10 minute interview with one of the dev guys, not the presentation. Starting with that, though, I did do some searching to see if I could find more on Youtube, but did not.

I beat on the tv.adobe.com presentation some more, and manage to eke out enough to skim through both presentations. This actually is reflective of my concerns about this interface. Is this really the quality of apps that come out of using Adobe creation tools? We all know how awful Acrobat has become.

The touch screen interface itself still looks to me like a total minefield of user interface trouble, lots of which has already been rehashed here ad nauseum. I had hoped that they would try some of the haptics technologies, like the ultrasonic surface texturing, and perhaps they still will, but without that kind of tactile feedback we're heading for usability disaster here, PowerPoint presentations notwithstanding.

One word: iDrive.

I was intrigued by the mention of a UI element that might get replicated in the console, so after you selected some attribute to change, you could return your eyes to the road and glance down to the intrument panel to finish that action of selecting the desired value. That's a step in the right direction at least.

And of course, as they said in the latter part of the presentation about the cycle times, with this software approach at least they can make rapid changes as issues come up. I'm just not sure if anything will be able to overcome the lack of hard, physical reference points on the interface. I feel my way around my radio and environment controls all the time!

One funny observation: as I reloaded the presentation over and over to kick it in the pants and restart the streaming, I noticed that the view counter went up by one each time. Nice, guys. High view counts may actually be indicative of failure, not of popularity ...

Last edited: