Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Door handle presenting, but the door will not open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello..

Tesla model S 2015

Problem: Front right passenger door handle presenting, but the door will not open!

I changed the harness to fix this (Tesla Model S Door Handle Repair Microswitch Harness)

After changing the harness its till not working. I even tested both the new and the old harness, and both of them are working as they are supposed to.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? Already searched all over, but no luck. Normally people change the harness with the 2 small microswitches and it works again.

Thank you

Found the problem:
Door latch in the passenger door not working correctly. Took it off and hit it gently with a hammer 10-20 times. After that it worked!

This will probably only be temporary.

Part number in my case: 6008912-00-C (Front Right Door Latch Lock Actuator Assembly)

Found the problem:
Door latch in the passenger door not working correctly. Took it off and hit it gently with a hammer 10-20 times. After that it worked!

Part number in my case: 6008912-00-C (Front Right Door Latch Lock Actuator Assembly)
Glad to hear that you were able to fix the problem yourself albeit might be temporary. I have an early Model S and had to replace all of my door handles, often multiple times. I currently have one not working. I'm afraid this problem will continue for you and other Model S owners. Keep me posted on how Tesla took care of you (or not). All the best.

Found the problem:

Hi. Can you further explain how you took off the door latch and hitting it gently with a hammer? Thanks!

I have a 2012 S and this just happened today to me to my driver door. After playing with it and comparing it to the passenger side I noticed the passenger side window would roll up and down when opened and closed but the driver door wouldn't and would sometimes get stuck in the down position. I sat in the front seat, pressed the brake pedal and rolled down the driver window, then unlocked the door with the interior handle. I then shut the door and rolled up the window. My son was outside and was able to unlock the door like usual and it seems back to normal now. I hope this helps someone.

2015 Model S door actuator stopped working a month ago. One the handle presents the actuator releases and the door can open. I replaced the actuator with another one. Then at first few tests new one did not release either! I sent a service request on the Tesla App explaining the problem and situation. The handle is a Gen 3 which was replaced in 2021.
I went to the main screen and put the car into service mode. Then exited service mode. I tried the door and it opened. It worked many times. I was curious about the old existing actuator so I reinstalled the old one and it worked! Next I installed the new one again and it worked again and again. Woohoo, success! As well I had not yet received a response from Tesla service. I then cancelled my service request. Within an hour I went for a 25 km drive and went to open the rear left door again and it has not worked since!! I will keep an open mind and try again to find a solution. I have reset the main screen many times. If any body with relevant information can chime in it will be much appreciated.
Today I removed the Gen 3 handle for inspection and nothing seems abnormal. There is a magnet and a sensor in then Gen 3. This new design has done away with those pesky micros witches and wires that detected handle position. I put the car in service this morning a performed a Software Re-installation. The door still does not open.

Attachments

• IMG_20230327_121928239.jpg
    IMG_20230327_121928239.jpg
    819.1 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_20230327_122208088.jpg
    IMG_20230327_122208088.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 291
Folks, I just fixed this issue today on my 2014 S 85. This should be a recall, it will happen to ALL older Teslas.

It is due to broken wires coming from the kick panel into the driver door. It’s located in the flexible waterproof grommet.

You can test the rear driver door by having the front door open in different positions. It will be intermittent due to wires making contact. The control unit in the frond driver door controls the rear door and window.

I cut open the flexible grommet and wiggled wires around and found 3 wires that just literally came apart.

Good morning from Ontario Canada -4c. I pulled back the door flex tube grommet and inspected the many wires and they look fine with no damage. I was reading the Tesla repair manual and found that in TOOL BOX 3 is available HANDLE DOOR RELEASE RECALIBRATION. Tool Box 3 is a monthly subscription. I do not have it. In my earlier posts I explained that after replacing the rear door actuator within 10 minutes the door was opening consistantly and then stopped. My explanation for that would be my entering the service mode on the car or the Tesla App service request I made and they possibly 'Poked" my cars software. My guess is that there is some software issue with the one Gen 3 door handle in my car. At this time my best guess as to the door release failure is the two new Rascals yonge kids yanking on that LH rear handle to enter.

Attachments

• IMG_20230330_090535342.jpg
    IMG_20230330_090535342.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_20230330_090237818.jpg
    IMG_20230330_090237818.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 276
  • Screenshot 2023-03-30 7.34.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-30 7.34.50 AM.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_20230330_094033495.jpg
    IMG_20230330_094033495.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 306
Oh wow, I would have thought the wires was the problem. Did u lightly tug on each wire? The wires that broke in my harness was a light green, purple, and brown. All from the same bundle of 6-8 wires.
Hey Kirk. I did not tug on individuals. But will go try that. Although the bundle look very complete with no appearance to have any damage. But since you have identified the colours I'll go try.

Hey Kirk. I did not tug on individuals. But will go try that. Although the bundle look very complete with no appearance to have any damage. But since you have identified the colours I'll go try.
First pic is light green purple and brown you described. 2nd pic is connector at the door actuator. So my observation is they improved the group of wires by adding a felt wrapping from the white connector through the metal car body and into the rubber flex grommet. I do not believe there is an issue here on my car. Let's keep digging! I will see about a recalibration getting done buy a mobile Tesla . Thanks Kirk.

Attachments

• IMG_20230330_112918715.jpg
    IMG_20230330_112918715.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20230330_113007406.jpg
    IMG_20230330_113007406.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 314