Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Door Handles - Original v. New Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S, so I'm 10.5y into ownership. The car has had its problems; Chicago is not kind to vehicles, but overall the car runs well and is low mileage (75k). Now that it is long out of warranty, costs are adding up due to needing the usual things replaced + predictable technological needs (MCU replacement, etc.).

If you count my original door handles, I am now on #15. My driver's side handle failed the other day; it was replaced 1 year ago. So this will be the 5th door handle on the driver's side. The other sides (which are much, much less used) have also had at least 2, sometimes 3, replacements. I do not think I've been abusive or careless with the handles, but it's possible.

Since I am considering a new Model S, I am wondering if the door handle issue has been vastly improved, entirely fixed, or is pretty much the same engineering disaster. Even though these failures would be covered by warranty for a few years, having them serviced is an inconvenience at a minimum.

What does the group think about the current state of Model S door handles?

I can only offer anecdotal evidence.
Well, I live in a moderate climate area near Sacramento, in the winter, the car goes to Lake Tahoe, two or three times a week. Usually, it is not overnight. I’ve done a few midwinter trips, where the car gets very cold and frozen in the Rockies.
March 2015, delivery, two years and 56,000 miles, no issues with door handles.
February 2017, delivery, 5 1/2 years and 150,000 miles, no issues with door handles.
June 2022, delivery, refresh model, almost 30,000 miles, and no issue with door handles.
The late 2014 release was a step up from the original cars, and the new release, is a huge step forward.

My 2013 S had all the handles replaced under warranty (Gen 1 handles were problematic).
My 2016 S had no handle problems, nor my 2022 S. My climate is moderate, so no rain-to-ice conditions that might damage a handle.

Are you replacing your handles with Gen 3, or using handles off of eBay (that are likely Gen 1 or Gen 2)? If Tesla is doing the handle replacements, they would be using Gen 3. Gen 3 design eliminates most/all of the trouble points of the earlier design.

Do you push your doors closed with the handle? My theory is that puts a lot of strain on the mechanism. The other high strain item would be ice.

Of course it depends on the failure mode.

Using the door handle to close the door I suspect may be the cause of a lot door handle failures?? I guess we never had the habit of closing a car door that way. Also we’ve never been door slammers either for that matter.

2016 with 215,000 miles all handles are the originals.. Northern Wisconsin, northern Minnesota environment. I do generally turn off auto present for winter as the car sits outside all day. At least then there’s an opportunity remove any ice buildup that may have occurred.

I wonder how many thousands of times those handles have cycled???

This is a pre-refresh 2016…

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and Krash
My 2013 S had all the handles replaced under warranty (Gen 1 handles were problematic). My 2016 S had no handle problems, nor my 2022 S. My climate is moderate, so no rain-to-ice conditions that might damage a handle.
Are you replacing your handles with Gen 3, or using handles off of eBay (that are likely Gen 1 or Gen 2)? If Tesla is doing the handle replacements, they would be using Gen 3. Gen 3 design eliminates most/all of the trouble points of the earlier design.
Can you tell me when Gen 2 and Gen 3 handles started being used? I have a 2018 MS built in July 2018. Thanks

My 2013 S had all the handles replaced under warranty (Gen 1 handles were problematic).
My 2016 S had no handle problems, nor my 2022 S. My climate is moderate, so no rain-to-ice conditions that might damage a handle.

Tesla has replaced all handles with components they’ve supplied. Therefore, I predict they are all new or refurbished and certified by Tesla. I haven’t purchased any from a third party.

Do you push your doors closed with the handle? My theory is that puts a lot of strain on the mechanism. The other high strain item would be ice.

Of course it depends on the failure mode.
I do not push the door closed this way. In fact, because I have gone through so many, I am very deliberate and careful with pulling the handle with just enough force to get the door open.

I’ve also disabled auto-present thinking that would eliminate the extra wear and tear. So, I have to manually extend the handles by clicking the fob.

This is nowhere near the problem it used to be. You are a trooper for going through that many door handles. If you haven't been in a new Model S since 2013 youre going to be blown away at the quality improvements.
I’ve had loaners through the years. Probably one for every year, and I took a test drive in a new model with a yoke. Hate the yoke, but I know that’s for another thread! Glad they give you a regular wheel option now.

I see similar fit and finish issues with the newer models too, but if the quality is better, that would set my mind as ease a bit.

I live in Michigan (driven in last 3 winters) and my Jan 2017 MS with about 104k miles, still on my first set of door handles.

I never push the door handles closed. I use upper corner or end of door.

I did do the MCU2 upgrade and definitely think it’s worth it. Especially since I have AP2 and could then use sentry, etc.

I only present driver handle but do often open the rest for passengers.

Last edited: