Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S external design finalized!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PopSmith

Saving for a Model 3
Jan 22, 2010
Utah
According to the latest emailed newsletter the Model S exterior design has been finalized and validated in a wind tunnel. :biggrin:

Here's the excerpt from the email:

Model S is on schedule for a mid-2012 launch. The external design has been finalized and aerodynamic performance has been validated in a wind tunnel. Design data for the Alpha prototype has been released to key suppliers to allow for sourcing of parts with long lead times. Check the blog soon for updates.

Does this mean that the cars that they've been showing off is not the final design?
The cars they showed off very preliminary prototypes. I think it is to be expected they will make some tweaks before production (aerodynamics, making sure the parts can be mass produced). However, I remember there was a promise that the final exterior design will stay very true to the original prototypes.

Does this mean that the cars that they've been showing off is not the final design?

Yes... because of the word "prototype" because TM has to meet Federal standards and manufacturing principles to bring the Model S to market. One example of changes would be lowering or the addition a front air dam to reduce or eliminate aerodynamic lift. Another example of change in the interior would be the addition of rear seat headrests because federal law requires it.

Last edited:
No way that would happen. The Volt prototpye was just something they had sitting around that they slapped a plug on. When the put it in a wind tunnel they said it would do better backwards.

While watching the HD version of the Tesla Investors video a wire frame of the front of the car was shown which seemed to have a cut out of the lower sides of the bumper. This same cut out also seems to appear to exist on a shot of a clay model as well. Wonder if they have applied some tweaks to the front to better align with the 2.5 roadster fascia changes?

Image5.jpg

That looks rather different to me.
The Roadster 2.5 has "vents" on the side that seem to allow some of the air going into the "snout" to exit to the sides.

The wireframe of the 'S' looks more like slots to put in fog lights, or perhaps air intakes rather than vents.
They don't even seem to look that similar between the two vehicles. I bet it is more of a function than form thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3Jqu-Gsq0zk#t=91s

Last edited:
That does change the character of the front a bit, doesn't it?

I hope we do get to see the Alpha build soon. If they go too far with a giant black face ala last gen Mazda then I'll have to reevaluate my reservation. I also don't want to see the haunches tuned down too much.

If we can get a confirmation that it will be in Detroit then that's an easy day trip.