Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have they finally fixed the Model S yet? Interested in 2024 plaid.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn’t. Not a half shaft issue

Depends on which vibration issue you're talking about. If it's the 80 mph vibration, then no. If it's the lower speed vibration, then yes, but if you already have it at that speed without accelerating, then lowering the car won't help. The only time lowering will help if there's a lower speed vibration during acceleration that isn't there while not accelerating.

Reactions: RussZTT
But it is. I and tons of others have fixed the issue by lowering it. I lowered mine and it went away. I put new wheels on and one of the lowering links bushings went bad. I put the stock links back on for a few days while the new ones came in and the vibration came back. New links came in, vibration went away. Also, here is a snip-it right from Tesla on the issue. View attachment 1029226

When I had the issue, they also tried to claim that this was just an NVH issue that wouldn't effect functionality and they declined to fix it the third time. I asked them to put it in writing that it would not weaken the forelinks causing them to fail even at low speed. During that time, it was a well known fact that the forelinks would break without warning, usually when backing up slowly and only on dual motor cars.

They declined to put it in writing to my request in writing but instead replaced the cv half shafts for the third time (4th set).

Those forelinks were revised with a stronger version eventually but they never made a recall out of it.

When I had the issue, they also tried to claim that this was just an NVH issue that wouldn't effect functionality and they declined to fix it the third time. I asked them to put it in writing that it would not weaken the forelinks causing them to fail even at low speed. During that time, it was a well known fact that the forelinks would break without warning, usually when backing up slowly and only on dual motor cars.

They declined to put it in writing to my request in writing but instead replaced the cv half shafts for the third time (4th set).

Those forelinks were revised with a stronger version eventually but they never made a recall out of it.
wow, that is absurd, 4th time? lawd...

Reactions: phantasms
Maybe the Ludicrous Highland that is rumored to be coming?

Full disclosure, I love my '21 Plaid, but my '17 S was less 'creaky'. It's not bad but the car is just so quiet that it just stands out.
That’s my most likely contender. The fact it’s the cheapest is just icing on the cake. There’s always C7Z06 or 96 manual…especially GS. ;)

But yeah. I’ll likely grab the ludicrous and wait for the Roadster. Once it’s finally unveiled as some overweight, flying, Elon pipe dream garbage, hopefully Porsche has a fully electric Cayman at that point or I go evil and get a hybrid 911 Turbo. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
Enthusiast forums seem to always have owners posting one complaint or another. Not usually something that effects everybody, but those with the glitch seem to make themselves heard loudly. Guess no mass produced vehicle is perfect.

That said, the latest Model S has tons of happy owners.

For driving on poor condition roads, perhaps a simple set of mud flaps will be worth while.

Latest S is fast, quick charging, long range, great ride and handling, still beautiful, updated interior and exterior, latest battery technology, great lighting, and perhaps best of all has the horn button in the middle of the steering wheel or yoke.
What do you mean by 'latest battery technology'? Still has 18650, right?

I'm going to test drive a new Model S tomorrow and just want to be informed.

I'm still blown away by performance at lower states of charge. Coming from a P100D where under 85-90% you start feeling the car is noticeably slower and it just gets worse the lower the battery gets, the Plaid's pulls so hard at practically any state of charge.

• Love
I've been borerline for a while about ordering an S Plaid while waiting on the 3029 Roadster. I have a 3 and a Y and waiting on a Roadster and CT. Our new place has extremely muddy roads that they're throwing rocks on to fix. I noticed today it absolutely destroyed the front of both of my rocker panels. I wonder if getting an S that can lift is the way to go. On the 3 forum everyone seems pretty happy. When I hop into the S forum it seems like nothing but issues. Have they finally nailed it with the 2024? Our 3 and Y have been flawless and now our closest service center is two hours away. I hear about people making frequent trips to their service places with Model S.

Big issues were vibration....mostly fixed now right?
Cold left leg. I live in NH and it gets cold. They added a seal to the door this year, no? Probably fixed?
Tires getting torn apart. Just 21s, right? Is that fixed now, what's the deal?

I love the 3 but the S I can have my dog in the back hatch, throw my bike in, faster and better looking. When I had a plaid S for a week with Euro it was nice but just felt a little older tech/deign than the 3. It's an "old car" that they've greatly updated instead of a new design and clearly Tesla is more of a big boy company now than it was in the past when they first designed that thing.

So, is it good or will I regret it? :)

Thank you!

Best,
Gene
I have a 2020 3 and and 2023 S LR. No cold leg. No vibration. S is so much better. Air suspension really makes a difference. Also a ton of room. Able to put 4 people and 3 full sized suitcases and 2 carry ons and back packs and still have room. Do you need the plaid? LR gets over 400 Range and is crazy fast. Seems to me most issues with S are with plaid owners.

I have a 2020 3 and and 2023 S LR. No cold leg. No vibration. S is so much better. Air suspension really makes a difference. Also a ton of room. Able to put 4 people and 3 full sized suitcases and 2 carry ons and back packs and still have room. Do you need the plaid? LR gets over 400 Range and is crazy fast. Seems to me most issues with S are with plaid owners.
If he enjoys the kick the model 3 performance gives from a dig, he wouldn’t enjoy the LR. The LR shines at higher speeds, but that sensation of accelerating like a bat out of hell isn’t there from a standstill.

The 400 mile range isn’t real. And asides for the cold start vibration the two cars have basically the same issues.

If he enjoys the kick the model 3 performance gives from a dig, he wouldn’t enjoy the LR. The LR shines at higher speeds, but that sensation of accelerating like a bat out of hell isn’t there from a standstill.

The 400 mile range isn’t real. And asides for the cold start vibration the two cars have basically the same issues.
I don’t have any issues and the range is much more real than the 3’s range. I drove about 5 hours mostly above 70mph in 20 degree weather without charging the S LR. Also, the 0-60 in 2.9 is crazy fast for me and I would say lot of people.

Vibration issues are still present on the Plaids. Software update hasn't fixed anything for me.

But other than that, build quality is solid on mine. No creaks or rattles. I think you're getting a new service center by Manchester, but I've had like 15 service visits in under a year. Mostly for the constant vibration issues

Skip the 21s and grab the 19s so you can run all-seasons. If you get a Plaid, I'm guessing it will come with summers. That being said, I've had my Plaid in some deep snow and it is a tank with the correct tires. Unstoppable

My suggestion would be to just get a Long Range. The Plaids seem to have all the issues :(
Which tires and setup do you recommend?