Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My explanation is that the capable range of both is the same because the perf model just ups the "available" HP and torque. If you drive it to draw upon that incremental power, then yes the range will be less, all other things being equal. But if you drive the perf and non-perf exactly the same, then the difference in range will be negligible since they have the same size battery. Similarly, you can't expect to get 265 miles from either if you drive them at full "throttle" constantly.

Right, that makes sense to me (now), and there was a fair amount of discussion on these boards about this after the announcement of the performance model, which even got through to a Luddite like me. My point was just that for the Edmunds reporter, who is writing this for someone who knows nothing about Tesla, Model S etc., that's an obvious question that begs an explanation, and I think it was smart of him to both raise the issue and provide an "explanation" (through JB) without being able to verify anything that JB (or Tesla) was saying about the actual range of the Performance v. regular 85 kWh car.

My only quibbles with his review were the negative comments on the looks and the use of MB parts without providing Tesla's logical explanations for both. But that's a minor quibble, and sometimes a tougher review like this, with some negatives, can be more impactful than a glowing review that looks like it's written by a fanboy.

Yes, done. Thanks for the link...

Dear Editors: I am writing you regarding the June 25, 2012 article written by Ronald Ahrens about the Tesla Model S. As a disclaimer, I am a reservation holder and am expecting to be able to receive the automobile some time in 2013. Therefore, it should be concluded that I am enthusiastic about Tesla and want them to succeed. However, what cannot be ascertained is the sense that I am closely watching the outcome of what happens in the next year. Tesla has broken the mold with the Model S. Nevertheless, they are a fledgling company that ultimately may not succeed. This thought has crossed the minds of every Tesla investor and potential owner, regardless of how much support they have given Musk. I am anxiously awaiting the flurry of objective reviews and firsthand accounts from the owners who come before me. Therefore, when I began to read the article written by Mr. Ahrens in Automobile Magazine, I was expecting something more characteristic of the fine quality of journalism I have seen before in this magazine. Rather, I was utterly disappointed in Mr. Ahrens and his over-politicized sensationalistic expose that smacked more of something found in the National Enquirer than in a reputable automotive magazine. It is quite clear to me that Mr. Ahrens has a political agenda to satisfy and had no intention of providing any semblance of an objective review. Now, Mr. Ahrens can retort that he only had 10 minutes to evaluate the Model S and that amount of time is insufficient to evaluate the Model S. Note to Mr. Ahrens: everyone has had only 10 minutes, including many reputable auto industry journalists who have given the Model S both glaring and tough (but objective) reviews. I do not want Mr. Ahrens to cast a blind eye to the faults the Model S has or what will be revealed. Rather, it is his job as a journalist to be objective. It is not the time you have but what you do with the time that is of interest to me, not your assumptions about us Sierra Club Members. Perhaps Mr. Ahrens can learn a thing or two from his fellow journalists regarding how to make it happen with limited resources. To close, Mr. Ahrens quotes Shakespeare (a much more skilled writer than he) about being wise and being a fool. My retort: "The lowest form of popular culture -- lack of information, misinformation, and a contempt for the truth or the reality of most people's lives -- has overrun real journalism. Today, ordinary Americans are being stuffed with garbage." Carl Bernstein.

About hating review: imagine yourself owning or working for a media website nobody cares about, has about 3 unique clicks a day, is insignificant and going downhill to put it mildly. So what you have to do? Yes you have to stand out, have different opinion. You hope to stir some water and maybe even attract some biased advertisement money. Reading comments here I say they doing good...

About hating review: imagine yourself owning or working for a media website nobody cares about, has about 3 unique clicks a day, is insignificant and going downhill to put it mildly. So what you have to do? Yes you have to stand out, have different opinion. You hope to stir some water and maybe even attract some biased advertisement money. Reading comments here I say they doing good...

Honestly, comments like these are just as bad as the articles IMO. Had the article been positive of Tesla would you have had the above to say about them? "They don't agree with me, well, they suck and nobody likes them, NYAH NYAH!".

Honestly, comments like these are just as bad as the articles IMO. Had the article been positive of Tesla would you have had the above to say about them? "They don't agree with me, well, they suck and nobody likes them, NYAH NYAH!".

There is two pages of comments before I have written mine so that's not gonna change anything. I was in the same position just theme was different so I can relate to that.

There is two pages of comments before I have written mine so that's not gonna change anything. I was in the same position just theme was different so I can relate to that.

You're right, and I shouldn't have just singled out your comment. In general though, "going in" on someone who disagrees with you isn't the best way to prove your point.

AnOutsider brings up an interesting point: had Ahrens' article been ridiculously in favor of the Model S, would we have been so harsh on him? The answer is, of course, no. Why would anyone criticize anyone who shares an opinion?

The point of my editorial letter was that I wanted objectivity. I think the Model S is going to be a winner, but if reviews come out consistently giving the Model S unfavorable ratings, then I may cancel my reservation or defer it. If Ahrens' article was the opposite (sensational but praising the Model S), I honestly believe that I would have viewed that article as something nice, but not helping me make my decision firmer.

Take articles like what is found in Motortrend and Edmunds -- more balanced and they actually, gasp, reviewed the car and not so much the company or customers behind the car.

You're right, and I shouldn't have just singled out your comment. In general though, "going in" on someone who disagrees with you isn't the best way to prove your point.

Darnit AO!, now you have me remorseful about my post...:crying:

Actually, I got fed up with Automobile a couple of years ago, canceling the subscription as a result. I had been a subscriber for over 10 years but their reviews of late have been very lackluster in my opinion so I moved on.

Haha sorry, I didn't mean to, and I didn't want anyone feeling called out, just wanted to bring some objectivity to the mix. I think others have hit it on the head though: we need objective, unbiased REVIEWS of the CAR, not political and personal opinions about the company and their employees. Beyond that, I couldn't care less about the company or persons behind it. I just want some infos to cling to ;)

I'm looking forward to honest reviews and to wring out some of the negatives about this car. Without that kind of honesty, we can't ever hope to see the Model S improve. Karma fans have taken advantage of the improvements brought about by the stabbing criticism of some of their owners, and hopefully the car is better because of it.