Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Gen 2 TPMS in Gen 1 TPMS system. How does that work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello i have a question. I have a 2013 MS and just bought some 19” slipstream take offs with Gen 2 tpms installed in them. Being my MS is 2013, i have the GEN 1 TPMS system. Would i be able to leave the GEN 1 system as is or do i have to upgrade to GEN 2 tpms system for the car. Please advise. Thanks.

You'd have to upgrade the tpms computer to the continental version for the gen 2 tpms to work on your car. There is a tesla doc floating around on the internet describing the process as it is something you can pay an SC to do for you.

I'm in the same boat. Okay we all say the facts BUT has anyone actually tried to mount the gen 2 wheels on gen 1 car, sync via system and see what happens?

Without unmounting tire how can I verify what sensors are on the wheels I just bought. Seller does not know.

I was in the same boat with new arachnids on my 2013 p85. Car read TPMS error, so I swapped out the sensors for gen 1 sensors and all is good. Any tire shop can easily swap them out.

Like you, I saw no strong reason to have car rewired to see individual pressures. I hope this helps.

Bump, What is the final answer to this question. IS there a way to retrofit a Gen 1 car to work with Gen 2 TPMS? Thanks!

Yes, definitely possible. You have to upgrade the computer *and* individual wheel sensors. Tesla upgraded my 2013 S to the Gen 2 TPMS last year when my Gen 1 system failed (I think the upgrade cost $500) - and I now get individual pressure readings on my instrument cluster; very convenient.

As has been said elsewhere, mounting wheels that still have the old sensors after the you upgrade the computer will give you a TPMS error; you’ll have to update the sensors on any wheel sets you own.

Speaking of which, anyone out there in the market for a gently used set of 4 Gen 1 TPMS sensors? PM me... :)

Yes, definitely possible. You have to upgrade the computer *and* individual wheel sensors. Tesla upgraded my 2013 S to the Gen 2 TPMS last year when my Gen 1 system failed (I think the upgrade cost $500) - and I now get individual pressure readings on my instrument cluster; very convenient.

As has been said elsewhere, mounting wheels that still have the old sensors after the you upgrade the computer will give you a TPMS error; you’ll have to update the sensors on any wheel sets you own.

Speaking of which, anyone out there in the market for a gently used set of 4 Gen 1 TPMS sensors? PM me... :)

I am interested in the gen1 TPMS. Please PM me as I couldn't find how to PM you... Sorry

I was in the same boat with new arachnids on my 2013 p85. Car read TPMS error, so I swapped out the sensors for gen 1 sensors and all is good. Any tire shop can easily swap them out.

Like you, I saw no strong reason to have car rewired to see individual pressures. I hope this helps.

Thanks Stan, I am in similar situation as I drive 2013 MS P85 currently have 21" turbine wheels and I am going to replace them with 19" slipstream I just bought used on this forum and I am going to use my existing gen 1 sensors and keep the gen 2 sensors if I need it in future. Thanks again.