Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tpms system question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two (or more) types of TPMS transmitters fo the wheels that talk on different frequencies and are not compatible. Are the TPMS sensors in your wheels original?
I have old tpms system, which does not show the PSI on the cars screen like the 2014 and above models have. I wanted to see if I can buy the tpms from online and then have a tire shop switch them out. If I did that, will it automatically show up, or does tesla have to allow something as well?

To upgrade to the TPMS system that shows the individual tire pressure readings requires replacement of both the actual TPMS sensors in the tires but also the receiving unit in the car. Without changing the receiving unit, your car will not recognize the new sensors.

There may be some aftermarket shops that can change out the receiving unit and reconfigure the software config in the car to recognize it, but if I was in your shoes, having Tesla do all of this for $300 doesn't sound like a bad deal.

I had the original TPMS system upgraded to the Continental system that reads each individual tire pressure on our 11/13 built CPO S85 under warranty in 2019. The original receiver failed and so Tesla Service installed the new system. While I appreciate more information in real-time with the newer system, I loathe the cost and waste of TPMS systems. I have never ever had a low tire where I needed a sensor to tell me; but I have spent about $300 and about 6 hours waiting for technicians to change out failed sensors (suspect the little batteries wore out). I wish these were not mandated here in the States.

I had the original TPMS system upgraded to the Continental system that reads each individual tire pressure on our 11/13 built CPO S85 under warranty in 2019. The original receiver failed and so Tesla Service installed the new system. While I appreciate more information in real-time with the newer system, I loathe the cost and waste of TPMS systems. I have never ever had a low tire where I needed a sensor to tell me; but I have spent about $300 and about 6 hours waiting for technicians to change out failed sensors (suspect the little batteries wore out). I wish these were not mandated here in the States.
I find this info useful because I always get cracked rims on my tesla. I rather know when I have an air leak than find out on the highway.

Reactions: JLC13
I have old tpms system, which does not show the PSI on the cars screen like the 2014 and above models have. I wanted to see if I can buy the tpms from online and then have a tire shop switch them out. If I did that, will it automatically show up, or does tesla have to allow something as well?
I had some issue with mine under warranty and the only part they had was the new sensors. So my old 2012 car shows individual tire pressures which is great.

Reactions: Sanderpman12
Please post your results and the final price they charge. This is something I've considered but thought either impossible or very expensive. If it's really $300, I might be tempted.
I just finished the first half (ECU install) of the TPMS retrofit on my 2014 Model S VIN 54797. There is a Service Bulletin https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081828-5448.pdf that indicates there are two paths for upgrade: ECU module only, and ECU module + additional wiring harness. I believe there are two paths because after VIN 50900 (according to this video
) Telsa started including the 6-pin connector on the RH harness, but still installed the Baolong TPMS system. Per the SB, this retrofit requires the module-only, which I believe is applicable to VIN > 50900 through 9/17/2014 (not sure to what VIN this equates). After 9/17/2014, MS has the new Continental TPMS ECU and updated harness. When I removed the RH C-Pillar sill, I found the the 6-pin connector on the wiring harness with no ECU installed. I have purchased the retrofit kit including the ECU and the wiring harness from the SC, but ended up only needing the ECU. The SC said they would not change the TPMS config using Toolbox for "liability" reasons, but I suspect that has more to do with me purchasing the parts and doing a DIY retrofit instead of quoted $980 retrofit. So I need to take the car to a 3rd party Tesla service shop that can hopefully use their Toolbox to make the required configuration change. After installing the 4 new sensors I got from Ebay for $37 total, I should see the Car Status with PSI measurement on the IC.

I found these two videos excellent for step-by-step instructions on how to remove the panels necessary for the retrofit.

Part 1
Part 2

The only part I found challenging was removing the bolster. I could not find a way to insert a tool into the insert to free up the metal loop. So I just removed the insert itself. there are 2 retaining clips on the top and bottom which are more easily accessible from the back of the metal post the inserts fits into.

IMG_9949.jpeg
IMG_9946.jpeg
IMG_9947.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9950.jpeg
    IMG_9950.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: JLC13