Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HW 2.0 FW 17.17.4 summon feature via fob not working in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, this is a question for fellow Canadian MS owners using either HW1 or HW2. I personally have HW2 and I have never been able to use the summon feature via the fob. Under the summon setting in the car I also don't have the option to disable continuous button hold for summon. The app is no problem but I have trouble getting a cell signal in a parking lot.

I called the service number and they said that certain countries don't have the regulations to permit summon via fob. But he sounded very uncertain so I'm not sure if he was just bs'ing me.

Anyone in Canada with some insight or experience on this? Thanks.

Due to the anti-theft immobilizer required in Canada, summon with just the fob doesn’t work. You need to summon from the app with the fob in proximity to the car. Which makes summon useless for many of the prime use cases like underground garages.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
As far as I know, the law in Canada says all vehicles must have an imobilizer to prevent the vehicle from moving without a driver. Probably to keep kids from playing with the fob and moving the car. So we need both the key and a cellphone to summon.

If that's the case I'm surprised Summon works at all in Canada because it's strange to me that you are allowed to move a car with a software but not with a physical key.

Isn't there also a feature with summon where you can double press the parking button to activate it? I don't think that works in Canada either.

Hi everyone, this is a question for fellow Canadian MS owners using either HW1 or HW2. I personally have HW2 and I have never been able to use the summon feature via the fob. Under the summon setting in the car I also don't have the option to disable continuous button hold for summon. The app is no problem but I have trouble getting a cell signal in a parking lot.

I called the service number and they said that certain countries don't have the regulations to permit summon via fob. But he sounded very uncertain so I'm not sure if he was just bs'ing me.

As Burnt Toast noted - we have the same issue in Australia :( It is somewhat frustrating as it does not *appear* to be a legal issue as I believe other vehicles in Australia can summon via the key fob (e.g. BMW).

BMW *appear* to be able to offer remote park via the key fob in Canada too (BMW 5 Series Sedan: Connectivity & Driver Assistance).

Summons via the app can be frustrating due to connection issues (it can often take two to three times for me to connect to the car) and in underground car parks it is often unusable.

It can also take a longer time and can be dangerous if another car decides to come along whilst you are halfway through / having connection drop out issues.

I have raised the issue with Tesla before with no response.

I love Tesla and my cars 110%. It is little issues like this however (and the stonewalled silence from Tesla on the reasoning) that reduce the love to 108%. :)

I've only been an owner for 2 months and I love the car immensely. I'm just happy to find out that it's not just me with the problem.

I wonder how this would affect smart summon down the road. I would think when cars become fully autonomous, the law will have to change to allow the cars to drive without the presence of a person in the car.

If that's the case I'm surprised Summon works at all in Canada because it's strange to me that you are allowed to move a car with a software but not with a physical key.

Isn't there also a feature with summon where you can double press the parking button to activate it? I don't think that works in Canada either.
In Canada, you need to have the fob with you (or in close proximity to the car) AND use the app to Summon the car. And no, we don't get the double-tap park button to initiate Summon either. It's been that way here ever since the feature was added via firmware update last year. If you look at the owner's manual it says those certain features of Summon are US & Mexico-only

As Burnt Toast noted - we have the same issue in Australia :( It is somewhat frustrating as it does not *appear* to be a legal issue as I believe other vehicles in Australia can summon via the key fob (e.g. BMW).

BMW *appear* to be able to offer remote park via the key fob in Canada too (BMW 5 Series Sedan: Connectivity & Driver Assistance).

Summons via the app can be frustrating due to connection issues (it can often take two to three times for me to connect to the car) and in underground car parks it is often unusable.

It can also take a longer time and can be dangerous if another car decides to come along whilst you are halfway through / having connection drop out issues.

I have raised the issue with Tesla before with no response.

I love Tesla and my cars 110%. It is little issues like this however (and the stonewalled silence from Tesla on the reasoning) that reduce the love to 108%. :)

From my research its not because of Canadian Regulations. see my post:
Summon via Key Fob outside USA (in Canada)

But there is an new opportunity for Tesla to bring Summon via Key Fob outside of the USA (Canada, etc). On twitter Elon Musk ask for feedback on what features we'll like. For those who want Summon via Key Fob please use the link below and like the twitter post. The more likes, the more visibility I think. Note you don't have to have a twitter account to like, but to vote, yes.

KandK on Twitter

From my research its not because of Canadian Regulations. see my post:
Summon via Key Fob outside USA (in Canada)

But there is an new opportunity for Tesla to bring Summon via Key Fob outside of the USA (Canada, etc). On twitter Elon Musk ask for feedback on what features we'll like. For those who want Summon via Key Fob please use the link below and like the twitter post. The more likes, the more visibility I think. Note you don't have to have a twitter account to like, but to vote, yes.

KandK on Twitter