Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 summon in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

First post here on the forum and proud 'co-owner' (wife's car) of a new Model 3.

We were somewhat disappointed to learn that creep is not available here in Canada due to the lack of a standalone key fob (otherwise absolutely amazing car).

With the most recent software update, I noticed that Tesla now offers key fobs for the Model 3 and can be bought on their website - does anyone have any insight on possible 'Summon' functionality coming to Canada now that they sell standalone key fobs?

Hi there,

First post here on the forum and proud 'co-owner' (wife's car) of a new Model 3.

We were somewhat disappointed to learn that creep is not available here in Canada due to the lack of a standalone key fob (otherwise absolutely amazing car).

With the most recent software update, I noticed that Tesla now offers key fobs for the Model 3 and can be bought on their website - does anyone have any insight on possible 'Summon' functionality coming to Canada now that they sell standalone key fobs?

Did you mean summon instead of creep?

Apparently summon does not work with the keyfob according to some threads I read, but I have no actual confirmation of this

That sounds weird. I have honestly not looked into the feature a great deal because I quickly learned that it wasn't available. Is it only available with the fob itself or is it not a feature one uses with the app? From what I understood, the feature works in the US, but not in Canada due to the regulations here.

Partially true. Canadian has a suite of laws, named immobilizer laws, which prohibit remote control of a vehicle.

Tesla’s summon suffers a few drawbacks in Canada because of this. Primarily: the key fob (not your phone) must be detectable by the car in order for Summon to engage. Basically, your fob needs to be within 10 feet of your car.

Model S and X can already use summon this way (I did it last night to entertain a couple that are curious about EVs), however until Tesla makes a fob available the Model 3 could not use summon. As the fobs are starting to be available now, summon will be functional on all three current Tesla Models. The original Roadster doesn’t get this new toy. ;)

Partially true. Canadian has a suite of laws, named immobilizer laws, which prohibit remote control of a vehicle.

Tesla’s summon suffers a few drawbacks in Canada because of this. Primarily: the key fob (not your phone) must be detectable by the car in order for Summon to engage. Basically, your fob needs to be within 10 feet of your car.

Model S and X can already use summon this way (I did it last night to entertain a couple that are curious about EVs), however until Tesla makes a fob available the Model 3 could not use summon. As the fobs are starting to be available now, summon will be functional on all three current Tesla Models. The original Roadster doesn’t get this new toy. ;)

Thank you for your detailed response.

I am guessing it will become available with a new update sometime in the future? Will Model 3 owners need the key fob to use the summon feature then? Too bad you can't just use your phone. Doesn't seem like a big deal to pair the fobs with the car though. It retails for C$200 it looks like.

Curious how that will work with 'advanced summon' where you can get the car to pick you up from across the parking lot. Or is that a feature we won't get here in Canada?

If we don't have basic summon, I doubt this feature would be enabled without carrying this around in the restaurant.

upload_2018-11-9_12-16-31.png

Thank you for your detailed response.

I am guessing it will become available with a new update sometime in the future? Will Model 3 owners need the key fob to use the summon feature then? Too bad you can't just use your phone. Doesn't seem like a big deal to pair the fobs with the car though. It retails for C$200 it looks like.
I think version 42.3 or 42.4 has the summon update for Model 3s.
Regardless, you will need the fob for it to work at all.

Curious how that will work with 'advanced summon' where you can get the car to pick you up from across the parking lot. Or is that a feature we won't get here in Canada?
Likely we will not have that until the laws are changed.