Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in the snow compared to VW AWD Alltrack and AWD Tiguan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVCollies

Supporting Member
Apr 3, 2016
Blue Marble
Today I sold my 2014 VW TDI Jetta Sportwagen back to VW and took the opportunity to test drive the VW AWD Alltrack and AWD Tiguan. We had almost a foot of snow last night and my wife was worried that the S 85D clearance would be a problem, prompting the test drives.

Both VWs have 1 inch more ground clearance than our S 85D (normal suspension) and my wife is a bit nervous with our trip up to Estes Park on Friday, prompting the interest in these vehicles. We judged the Toureg as too large for our needs, although the Toureg has a much higher ground clearance, and tested the Alltrack and AWD Tiguan.

With my lead footed wife at the wheel, both AWD VWs did great on the snowy roads, stopped well and plowed through the side streets with some difficulty at the intersections where the plows had deposited piles of snow.

She was ready to buy a Tiguan favoring the larger windshield with better visibility but I convinced her to take the S85D on the same route. The Tesla performed as well or better on the same route. In all fairness, the S85D has four snow tires and the VWs just had the stock AS tires, but clearance was not an issue.

I love VWs and still considering a Toureg if clearance is really an issue, but for now, the Tesla is headed to Estes for the weekend.

Reactions: ColBatGuano
it's all about the tires, in your part of the world where you have a lot of snowfall, good snow tires are imperative.
I swear by the nokian hakkas, they are costly but IMHO opinion there is no better snow tire. and do yourself a favor and have the wife learn to ease up when driving in snow.

Reactions: tliving