Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quote is from Aviva, 1000$ deductable, 1M liability.

You guys are killing me! I have a 6-star perfect no claims rating, home and second property discounts and can't come close to this in the Greater Toronto Area. I guess it's not surprising with all of the boneheaded drivers I see out there, but I hate getting lumped in!

Question on the liability: I've always carried the minimum ($1 M), but constantly get pressured to up it to at least $2 m. What's the consensus on this amongst Ontario owners?

For those with good driving records Mike, it's not that much...usually 6-9% of your Liability premium...for many folks, around 30-60 /yr.

Remember you are buying a limit that has to cover an injured party's lost wages...if you disable a person (or persons) earning $150,000 / yr at age 50, your $1,000,000 limit will be exausted fairly quickly...we have one mainstream market that mandates a $2,000,000 liability limit.

Got a second opinion on the 2 quotes I got in 2012. not much changes. Both now show TMS production and signature

TD Meloche : $805 a year, 1M liability, no deductible (they are insuring my 2 cars currently)
La Personelle: $1804 a year, 1M liability, 1000 deductible

When TD quoted you did they mention that they would only insure a car of this value if it had an approved tracking device installed (like boomerang)? That was a deal breaker for me.

I already have my Model S insured with TD and they did not require that. They did want a $5000 deductible though.

That's one hell of a deductible. Was that compulsory or by choice to keep the premiums down? I usually go for $300 to $500, but would consider maybe $1,000 if it made enough of a difference. There was no mention of such a high deductible when I called my company for a quote... just asked them to quote the same coverage I have now.

That's one hell of a deductible. Was that compulsory or by choice to keep the premiums down? I usually go for $300 to $500, but would consider maybe $1,000 if it made enough of a difference. There was no mention of such a high deductible when I called my company for a quote... just asked them to quote the same coverage I have now.

They said it was because of the price of the car. Oddly I didn't have that problem when I insured the Roadster. Go figure.

I come to learn that it's impossible to make heads or tails with insurance companies. Sometimes they come in with good rates. Other times not. There are so many factors and there can be huge differences between companies for the same cars. TD insisted on a tacking device with me and had high deductibles. Belair had good rates with no tracking device and $500 deductible. For others it seems it was the opposite.

So I think I'm going to go with Desjardins insurance. I've been with TD Meloche for 22 years, but the Desjardins offer seems impossible to beat:

Premium: $1283/year including tax
Deductible: $500
5 years replacement value
No tracking device necessary

Cheaper than I'm paying on my MDX...

TD quoted me 800$/year lately but I don't trust them sicne they didn't want to commit. at 1283, I would be ok.

I have a quote of $805 with TD Meloche Monnex (engineers association affinity program). The only issue is a $5000 deductible. I have been insured with them for more than 10 years, and have had no problems whatsoever.

I've been with Meloche for 22 years also... and my rate is $800 too, also because of engineers discount. But at a $5000 deductible, it just doesn't make sense. I have a $500 deductible with Desjardins AND replacement value for 5 years. Meloche didn't want to offer me replacement value... they also require the installation of a tracking device which Desjardins does not. Is Meloche asking you guys for a tracking device?

I'll call them back and see if they'll bend on that if I'm willing to pay $1100+ for my premium...

The range of deductibles we were discussing was from $250 to $1000. I didn't pull the trigger yet as I don't have a VIN nor a final MVPA but I will post an update with the finalized details when I do.

I was also discussing adding my house to the mix but that only amounted to something like a 6% reduction. I am not sure about the actual amount but it wouldn't/shouldn't affect the requirement for anti-theft mods.