Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got quotes from Geico, Progressive, and Farmers for $100k/$300k/$100k with a $500 deductible for comprehensive and collision for both me and my wife. Progressive was cheapest at $109/mo if I pay in full for six months, $121 otherwise. Geico was $141/mo. Farmers wanted $437/mo. Wtf? Four times as much? Why? We currently have Allstate, and apparently they make you to call your agent to get a quote if you already have insurance with them, so I guess I'll be doing that tomorrow.

30 days

I understand that I have 30 days upon being notified that my MODEL S has arrived to take delivery. Is that true? My insurance company needs a bit of time to research the MS before they will insure it. They already said no to insuring a Porsche. :-(

So, is 30 days from notification of the arrival of my MS to acceptance and payment of my MS correct??????

I underwrite personal umbrellas. I filtered my data to look at "tesla" and associate with the primary auto carrier. I looked back at the data and that was a roadster insured by 21st century. The car is in Thousand Oaks. So it must be an S issue and not state. I would call again and ask to speak to someone who could advise you if/when the S will be added to database.

Thanks for the clarification. The rep told me they had no idea when they will add the Model S to their database. Now I have to scramble to find another insurance carrier because of this issue!!

Allstate was about $1100 for 6 months. So was State Farm. No idea why Progressive is so much lower, but it looks like that's where we'll be headed.

Thanks for the data point. Doesn't sound good. I use Allstate for home owner's, umbrella, and a few other things, so switching insurers for auto will jack up my rates elsewhere. Anyone know what the rules are about using multiple carriers across different cars? ie, Tesla with one company, remaining cars with another?

Thanks for the data point. Doesn't sound good. I use Allstate for home owner's, umbrella, and a few other things, so switching insurers for auto will jack up my rates elsewhere. Anyone know what the rules are about using multiple carriers across different cars? ie, Tesla with one company, remaining cars with another?

I really dont think it matters, I've been doing it for years ....

What insurance company needs 30 days to research Model S? Time to upgrade to a 21st century insurer....

I am sure it will only take them a few days, but I always plan for the worst!

- - - Updated - - -

Mod Squad!

This should be merged with Model S Insurance

Not really an insurance question. I am asking how long I can wait before taking delivery once notified that my MS has arrived.

At least they didn't flat out deny you. 21st Century Insurance basically said we don't cover any of these "exotic" electric cars because we don't know how much it will cost to repair and there's no track record for them.

I understand that I have 30 days upon being notified that my MODEL S has arrived to take delivery. Is that true? My insurance company needs a bit of time to research the MS before they will insure it. They already said no to insuring a Porsche. :-(

So, is 30 days from notification of the arrival of my MS to acceptance and payment of my MS correct??????

Scott - we too have USAA - $700 a year with $500 deductable.

@rogbmw - what are your coverage amounts? Just getting my USAA quote now and initial quote is $1100/yr for my wife and me (no accidents/low mileage). Our coverage amounts are 300k/500k/100k and we also have a $500 collision deductible (and $250 comprehensive deductible). Thanks.

@rogbmw - what are your coverage amounts? Just getting my USAA quote now and initial quote is $1100/yr for my wife and me (no accidents/low mileage). Our coverage amounts are 300k/500k/100k and we also have a $500 collision deductible (and $250 comprehensive deductible). Thanks.

I have the same coverage except for 1000 deductible on everything. My yearly at USAA is 462.50. It might all be in the deductible. I know they consider time as a client, and something to do with military service but I'm not sure in what regard. I've never insured any car with anyone else for 32 years. Maybe call and ask for specifics.

Auto insurance rates are very location specific. Same insurer will quote you markedly different rates even if you're garaged the next town over, never mind in a different state.

I just switched from Amica to State Farm. Love Amica service but rates just got crazy. Clean record and wife plus me. $250/500/100. $500 collision deductible and $100 comp. Amica was a little over $2000 for my P85 and State Farm was about $1200 (annual). Overall premium for two cars, house and $2m umbrella with Amica over $5k. State Farm less than $3k.

Al Sherman:

Do you mind saying how many autos you have on your USAA policy? We're right now at four: the '08 F-350, '06 VW TDI, Jenny's Subaru, and the '98 E-350 (it's a 4WD Diesel!), and have used USAA for 41 years. Only seven weeks ago I tapped them for the first oops I've ever had.....and it wasn't an accident, but it ran into many, many thousands of dollars: water in bad diesel meant I had to replace all 8 injectors plus a fuel pump on the F-350. Ouch - but they came through like a champ.

Of course, even at their darned good rates, multiplying that times 41 years meant they have built up a very, very nice nest egg through me!

Wonder how much new injectors will cost on the Tesla...... ;)