Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call around. It seems that every insurance company will be different for different parts of the country. I had to leave Farmers after 17 years because they wanted about $3,000/yr for just the Tesla. I went with Geico, and covered my Tesla P85+, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, and 2007 Suburban LTZ for $630/6months with $500 deductible, $250,000/500,000.

I had to leave Farmers after 17 years because they wanted about $3,000/yr for just the Tesla.

Ditto for me, also after 17 years - ever since moving to the USA. My agent went out his way to run this up the ladder at Farmers corporate, but could not get any meaningful explanation for why they are so ridiculously uncompetitive on the Model S. In my area Farmers offers the lowest rate on the Volt by quite a wide margin, but they appear to be uninterested in retaining the business of Model S owners.

Ok, last one for today: Insurance - Anything I should know?

Male - 43 - Married 20 years - One kid - no at-fault accidents or claims in 25 years; same with wife. Kid too young to drive.

When I looked at the 2013 BMW 750Li it was $826 per year for full coverage. I was pleasantly surprised by that!

What is the general consensus for Tesla Model S car insurance? If I absolutely love the car on my test drive Friday I'll call my insurance company and get a quote but I just wondered if it's any different than any gas-operated vehicle.

Thanks again!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive the insurance is. There are insurance threads on TMC. My insurance was less than 100 dollars per year more than my Prius. I even called them (USAA) back twice to make sure that their quote was correct. Every time I called it came down to driving record. I'm older than you and have been with the same company for 35 years but every time I called they said: "you haven't had an accident in 35 years."

Advice: Call the insurance company before the test drive. Once you do the test drive it wont matter what the insurance costs.:smile:

Located in Miami, Florida
Allstate quoted me about $150/mo. Going from an M2 convertible which was $115/mo. Unfortunately I'm stuck because we have an umbrella policy over and above our current insurances. Rates vary greatly between regions.

Just received my rate:

I use Wawanesa in California. We've had them for 17 years - no claims, although three no-fault accidents and they've always been awesome about getting our cars repaired and the paperwork has been a breeze.

Two drivers - male 44, female 43 - No accidents ever, no tickets in past 20 years for either of us, no claims. Insurance coverage maxed out.

2013 Tesla Model S - P85 - $657 year

Just received my rate:

I use Wawanesa in California. We've had them for 17 years - no claims, although three no-fault accidents and they've always been awesome about getting our cars repaired and the paperwork has been a breeze.

Two drivers - male 44, female 43 - No accidents ever, no tickets in past 20 years for either of us, no claims. Insurance coverage maxed out.

2013 Tesla Model S - P85 - $657 year

That's a great rate!

I don't know if it's my age or my location, but I was quoted $200-$300 for insurance, I finally went with State Farm at $157, but it seems to be double what some of you are paying. I'm 28, recently married, no accidents in the last 5 years, and no tickets.

I don't know if it's my age or my location, but I was quoted $200-$300 for insurance, I finally went with State Farm at $157, but it seems to be double what some of you are paying. I'm 28, recently married, no accidents in the last 5 years, and no tickets.

I'd say it's age. I'm 16 years older than you. You're in you 20s with a 4-second 0-60 car. In my mid-40s they think​ I have no desire to floor that sucker every chance I get! ;)