Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P90DL self-downgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were closed yesterday, but I just got off the phone with a nice lady who unfortunately couldn't fix the issue. I think I knew more about the different driving modes than she did, but we went through the power down and reboot steps and checked the software version. She said she would need to escalate this as it does not seem like a popular problem.

The only other record I could find of ludicrous mode being disabled was back in 2017 for a car that was equipped with it on the floor, but wasn't disabled prior to purchase (the option was not paid for by the owner): https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/lost-my-ludicrous-mode. My car already had it when I purchased it, and I confirmed that with the sales advisor before plunking down my coin.

That said, it seems odd that two cars have had this issue come up in a very small window. FWIW, my battery actually seems like it's in good health and the car can still charge over 100kw for a bit if my SoC is under 20%, though I'm often in the 70kw range.

I have been on 2019.40.2.3 40ef2d4d since 12/20. What version are you on?

I had the exact same thing happen to my 2015 P90DL. Just noticed it last night and have been trying without any success to have it corrected since. Figured it has to be an error , and feel better knowing it happened to more than just me (misery loves company).

I have a mobile service appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning for an unrelated issue, but hopefully can get them to address the missing ludicrous mode as well. More to follow....

Same thing happened to me and another member on the Tesla Model S Owners FB group. It was resolved within 2-3 days. What happened to me was my car was removed from my account “accidentally” (2016 P90DL purchased from Tesla as well on Nov. 24, 2019). They then re-added the car to my account without the ludicrous option (P90D only). I had to speak with my original Used Vehicle Advisor that I originally worked with. They will confirm that you had the Ludicrous option originally installed on your vehicle. They will then have their team push the software upgrade back to your account, which could take 2-3 days. It was an annoying process, but it's all worth it. Good luck!

If you purchased it as a P90DL then you need to contact the service center and tell them to turn it back on. If it was listed as a P90D when you bought it, then count yourself lucky for getting a couple weeks of L. If the former, and they won't turn it back on then you could return the car or negotiate a partial refund.
Not true. When purchasing used cars, you inspect a car at delivery time and accept the deal at that point. You cannot sell a used car with A/C for example, but refuse to warranty it if it fails simply because you didn't put A/C in the used car description. If it had a working A/C at the time of sale and you warranty the whole car, you warranty the A/C.

It's interesting that it was removed from your account. When you logged into your Tesla account was the car not there, or was it removed and added back in one fell swoop? Mine shows up as normal in the app, but without the P85D underline.

I find it interesting that this has happened so many times.

To be honest, my guess is that this is a way for Tesla to remove ludicrous from cars that had it, but wasn’t suppose to have it. That way, if the person complains that their ludicrous upgrade was taken away, which they rightfully had, Tesla can push the ludicrous option over the air instantly. Not sure if that makes sense, but that’s just my guess.

Hot damn! Tesla pushed an updated firmware this afternoon and it's back to Ludicrous! Their service guy texted me this morning. That was a good response time!

This was clearly just a bug. Car was purchased directly from Tesla and was originally spec'd as ludicrous as far as i can tell. has the carbon spoiler and the P90D(underline) insignia on the back.

You have had better luck than I. I called back today after not having heard anything since the 2nd. I talked to another tech who seemed a little more keen on things and asked if I purchased the car from a 3rd party. I said no, I purchased it from Tesla a couple months ago and it had ludicrous mode at the time I purchased it. He referenced the other case of a car losing it when it was not supposed to have it, but he agreed I was not in the same scenario.

He then checked my MVPA (motor vehicle purchase agreement) and ludicrous mode was not called out specifically, so it's possible the feature was removed. He said they could not re-enable it without it being on the MVPA and that I should contact my sales advisor. The tech declined my offer to email him the thread where the sales advisor confirmed that it had ludicrous mode enabled. I'll send my sales advisor an email and see what the turnaround is. I also asked if my plus suspension or heated steering wheel was also in jeopardy of being disabled as they are not called out as features in the MVPA either.