Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P90DL self-downgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Wondering if anyone has had similar issues.

I purchased a used MS P90DL on December 7th. No problems for the first three weeks. All of a sudden last week, it downgraded itself to P90D. Ludicrous mode is unavailable, and car name shows up without underline on the car itself and on the Tesla app.

This seems to have happened at the same time that update 10.2.40 was pushed.

Natan

If you purchased it as a P90DL then you need to contact the service center and tell them to turn it back on. If it was listed as a P90D when you bought it, then count yourself lucky for getting a couple weeks of L. If the former, and they won't turn it back on then you could return the car or negotiate a partial refund.

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex
Definitely bought it as ludicrous. Will the service center be able to re-enable it remotely? I tried calling them, and they just said to show up to my service center appointment.
That I don't know, but I'm sure they will turn it back on. It is strange that it disappeared with an update though, and if it affected all P90DLs we would likely see a horde descending on these forums talking about it.

Thanks for the info. I was also thinking that if this were widespread, there would be a ton of pissed off customers.

LIke you said, if they refuse to fix it, I will be returning the car (or at least asking for some of my money back)

Yup, about as straight forward of a breach of contract as you are likely to see. But, unless there is an actual problem with the "L" being reinstituted, I have no doubt they will flip the switch and bring it back. I'll be curious to see if anyone else has had the same issue. I know that Tesla sometimes converts non "L" cars when they sell them through their site. They are easy to spot because you look at the pictures and don't see the underline on the back or on the screen.

My P85DL also just lost ludicrous and ludicrous+ modes. They've been replaced with insane and insane+. Just scheduled an appointment (a month out) but I'm guessing they will end up remotely re-enabling this.

Strangely enough, my last software update was 12/20 and I was demoing ludicrous+ for my family on Christmas, so this is some other kind of problem.

beatle,

Try calling them. I tried again today, and they escalated to their engineering team. They said it should be able to be resolved with a firmware push. No word on a resolve date, but will post if/when it gets fixed remotely. Otherwise will do on-site on 1/11.

beatle,

Try calling them. I tried again today, and they escalated to their engineering team. They said it should be able to be resolved with a firmware push. No word on a resolve date, but will post if/when it gets fixed remotely. Otherwise will do on-site on 1/11.

What number did you use? I actually have another completely unrelated issue and email has been useless.

Possibly related, the last update broke my Launch Control mode on my P85D and I was unable access it. Several reboots and nothing seemed to help. Then, randomly, it just started working again when I checked it today. No rhyme or reason at all.

You know, on Christmas I used launch mode for the first demo ride, but the following one did not work, even with the battery above 100F. Ludicrous+ was still available, however. I haven't driven the car since Saturday so I'm not sure when this started. I will leave my pitchfork in the shed until I hear something bad from Tesla.