TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S P90DL self-downgrade

Discussion in 'Model S' started by natanhaim, Dec 31, 2019.

1. natanhaim

natanhaim Member

All,

Wondering if anyone has had similar issues.

I purchased a used MS P90DL on December 7th. No problems for the first three weeks. All of a sudden last week, it downgraded itself to P90D. Ludicrous mode is unavailable, and car name shows up without underline on the car itself and on the Tesla app.

This seems to have happened at the same time that update 10.2.40 was pushed.

Natan

2. natanhaim

natanhaim Member

Forgot to mention, model year is 2016.2 (facelifted)

3. geoffmanley

geoffmanley Member

If you purchased it as a P90DL then you need to contact the service center and tell them to turn it back on. If it was listed as a P90D when you bought it, then count yourself lucky for getting a couple weeks of L. If the former, and they won't turn it back on then you could return the car or negotiate a partial refund.

• Disagree x 1
  4. natanhaim

natanhaim Member

Definitely bought it as ludicrous. Will the service center be able to re-enable it remotely? I tried calling them, and they just said to show up to my service center appointment.

5. geoffmanley

geoffmanley Member

That I don't know, but I'm sure they will turn it back on. It is strange that it disappeared with an update though, and if it affected all P90DLs we would likely see a horde descending on these forums talking about it.

6. natanhaim

natanhaim Member

Thanks for the info. I was also thinking that if this were widespread, there would be a ton of pissed off customers.

LIke you said, if they refuse to fix it, I will be returning the car (or at least asking for some of my money back)

7. geoffmanley

geoffmanley Member

Yup, about as straight forward of a breach of contract as you are likely to see. But, unless there is an actual problem with the "L" being reinstituted, I have no doubt they will flip the switch and bring it back. I'll be curious to see if anyone else has had the same issue. I know that Tesla sometimes converts non "L" cars when they sell them through their site. They are easy to spot because you look at the pictures and don't see the underline on the back or on the screen.

8. geoffmanley

geoffmanley Member

One last thing, if they can't or won't switch it back and you opt to negotiate a partial refund, don't forget you are in the better bargaining position so don't accept something nominal.

• Helpful x 1
  9. natanhaim

natanhaim Member

Thanks again, totally agree.

I will report back when it's resolved.

10. Darrel3000

Darrel3000 Think Good, Be kind, Do good, all day everyday.

tahts the kind of thing that really piisses me off and would normally cuase me to drop a company permenently, I did that with eBay a couple years ago, with obvious overcharging and no resolutions from stoopid people.

11. beatle

beatle Member

My P85DL also just lost ludicrous and ludicrous+ modes. They've been replaced with insane and insane+. Just scheduled an appointment (a month out) but I'm guessing they will end up remotely re-enabling this.

Strangely enough, my last software update was 12/20 and I was demoing ludicrous+ for my family on Christmas, so this is some other kind of problem.

12. natanhaim

natanhaim Member

beatle,

Try calling them. I tried again today, and they escalated to their engineering team. They said it should be able to be resolved with a firmware push. No word on a resolve date, but will post if/when it gets fixed remotely. Otherwise will do on-site on 1/11.

13. geoffmanley

geoffmanley Member

Before you jump to conclusions, it may have been a buggy software update and unintended. I doubt it was a simple nefarious business decision.

14. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

Possibly related, the last update broke my Launch Control mode on my P85D and I was unable access it. Several reboots and nothing seemed to help. Then, randomly, it just started working again when I checked it today. No rhyme or reason at all.

15. Darrel3000

In the case of Tesla you are right it a good company and I dont expect that sort of thing from them, certainly didnt mean to suggest that.

16. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

17. Darrel3000

18. natanhaim

natanhaim Member

Agree with others this is just an annoying bug. Nothing nefarious/intentional.

It'll be good to see whether this can be resolved over-the-air or at service appointment. Will update as soon as it's resolved.

19. beatle

beatle Member

What number did you use? I actually have another completely unrelated issue and email has been useless.

20. beatle

beatle Member

You know, on Christmas I used launch mode for the first demo ride, but the following one did not work, even with the battery above 100F. Ludicrous+ was still available, however. I haven't driven the car since Saturday so I'm not sure when this started. I will leave my pitchfork in the shed until I hear something bad from Tesla.