Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S parking brake stuck on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 Model S. I know this has been discussed before and apologies if I missed it, but have been unable to find anything about replacing just the park brake actuator. Over the past week on two occasions the park brake would not release, but shifting from P to D a few times released it - messages were "Parking brake did not release, Driving may result in brake damage" and "Parking brake not applied, Vehicle may free roll". Today, nothing would release the park brake and the message was "Parking brake functions degraded, Parking brake may not apply or release". I found the right side park brake stuck on so removed the electric actuator from the caliper and manually released the brake by using a 14mm open end wrench to turn the now exposed star wheel clockwise. The slide pins are clean, the pads appear to move as they should and are not sticking against the rotor. For the short term I'm driving with only the left side park brake working. Went to the Tesla service center to buy a new actuator and was told they only sell the entire caliper assembly as a complete unit. QUESTION...does anyone sell the Brembo parking brake actuator separately, or do I have to buy a complete new park brake assembly? Any other advice would be much appreciated. End-on photo of the actuator attached. TeslaBrake.JPG

2013 Model S. I know this has been discussed before and apologies if I missed it, but have been unable to find anything about replacing just the park brake actuator. Over the past week on two occasions the park brake would not release, but shifting from P to D a few times released it - messages were "Parking brake did not release, Driving may result in brake damage" and "Parking brake not applied, Vehicle may free roll". Today, nothing would release the park brake and the message was "Parking brake functions degraded, Parking brake may not apply or release". I found the right side park brake stuck on so removed the electric actuator from the caliper and manually released the brake by using a 14mm open end wrench to turn the now exposed star wheel clockwise. The slide pins are clean, the pads appear to move as they should and are not sticking against the rotor. For the short term I'm driving with only the left side park brake working. Went to the Tesla service center to buy a new actuator and was told they only sell the entire caliper assembly as a complete unit. QUESTION...does anyone sell the Brembo parking brake actuator separately, or do I have to buy a complete new park brake assembly? Any other advice would be much appreciated. End-on photo of the actuator attached.View attachment 736099

I found the actuators separately, only not really for the price you where hoping for:

• Funny
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
For those ones searching for a cheaper parking brake actuators, I have just bought 2 pieces on Aliexpress for approx 130USD as mine were getting seriously loud. They don't have the part number or 2D barcode on them, but generally looks like a good quality. As the old ones are working still well with few drops of WD-40 I haven't changed them so far so can't tell about the reliability at all. Just wanted to spread this info out ;)