Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S performance in edge cases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

My name is Shubham Bhusari and I am a MSc student in TU Delft, Netherlands.
I am currently working on a project in order to understand the conditions and situations in which the autopilot function of Tesla fails along with understanding the drivers trust in the system around edge cases.

With this thread, I wanted to know if anyone of you Tesla Model S owners know a few situations especially on highways where the system deactivates automatically or doesn't perform as expected?

If yes, Please feel free to mention a few such situations here in this thread, to have a small discussion about as this would be really helpful for my project.

Looking forward to hear from all of you, as the feedback of experienced drivers like you is very important.

Cheers!
Shubham

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project in order to understand the conditions and situations in which the autopilot function of Tesla fails along with understanding the drivers trust in the system around edge cases.

With this thread, I wanted to know if anyone of you Tesla Model S owners know a few situations especially on highways where the system deactivates automatically or doesn't perform as expected?

If yes, Please feel free to mention a few such situations here in this thread, to have a small discussion about as this would be really helpful for my project.

Looking forward to hear from all of you, as the feedback of experienced drivers like you is very important.

Cheers!
Shubham
Your negative approach of one aspect of Autopilot, and than solely of Tesla, will not get a lot of applause here.
Autopilot is an ongoing project with many happy users who know the restrictions.

Reactions: is3 and S-19910
Your negative approach of one aspect of Autopilot, and than solely of Tesla, will not get a lot of applause here.
Autopilot is an ongoing project with many happy users who know the restrictions.
Geez he was just objectively asking about currently known problematic scenarios and the drivers` way of coping with those and you instantly engage "Defend-Tesla-mode".
Congratz, all that`s been missing from your posting was "I´m offended".........

@Topic
My experiences stem from an AP1 MS from a few years ago. Back then AP1 had big trouble on the german autobahn. It made phantom breaks relatively often and had trouble recognizing vehicles on the left. This went so far that I started to completely ignore the AP alltogether as I didn`t feel safe with it.
No idea if those problems still exist though since I´m not a Tesla driver anymore.

Geez he was just objectively asking about currently known problematic scenarios and the drivers` way of coping with those and you instantly engage "Defend-Tesla-mode".
Autopilot is an ongoing project. What yesterday was a problem with AutoPilot 2 is solved with the current version that is now underway to the fleet. Focussing on a possible problem solely with Tesla's is very shortsighted.
If a student writes this down in a paper, it is very likely that it is outdated before the ink is dry.

Autopilot is an ongoing project. What yesterday was a problem with AutoPilot 2 is solved with the current version that is now underway to the fleet. Focussing on a possible problem solely with Tesla's is very shortsighted.
If a student writes this down in a paper, it is very likely that it is outdated before the ink is dry.
Keep on telling yourself that.....

Dear Wim,
I think you are misunderstanding my questions here. I think I should give you a little more information about my project.
My objective is to formulate a standard definition of Operational Design Domain for level 2 Automated vehicles across all manufacturers. I aim to do so by first understanding the drivers needs and trust in edge cases through controlled on-road tests and then combine it with objective risk measurements using various scientific methodologies. I focus on Tesla, because it has been in the market for more time than the other manufacturers and from prior studies here at the university, it is seen that they perform the best across various situations.

In sum, I have nothing against Tesla or as a matter of fact any vehicle manufacturer and my ultimate aim is to ensure that manufacturers better inform their users which in-turn leads to more road safety over team.

I hope my purpose is clear to you now.

Hello everyone,

Cheers!
Shubham

Maybe you can give some more information about your project and why you chose this topic? EDIT: I see you just did while I was writing :) ). Also, I don't understand the title of this topic, since autopilot works on both Model S and X. The current title implies this thread is about the Model S in rare situations. It may not get as many views with the current title.

I don't think there are situations where autopilot will disengage by itself on the highway in its current form (as long as you keep your hands on the steering wheel). Edgy cases in this stage of autopilot development are (almost) exclusively on local roads (not being highways).

Are the different levels of ADAS not officially determined? Autonomous car - Wikipedia
Or is this something different?

@Topic
My experiences stem from an AP1 MS from a few years ago. Back then AP1 had big trouble on the german autobahn. It made phantom breaks relatively often and had trouble recognizing vehicles on the left. This went so far that I started to completely ignore the AP alltogether as I didn`t feel safe with it.
No idea if those problems still exist though since I´m not a Tesla driver anymore.
Thanks for your response, Just a follow up to your comment. Do you know any specific routes that you think are perfect to test the AP performances (where the systems functionality is ambigous?

Looking forward to your response.

Maybe you can give some more information about your project and why you chose this topic? Also, I don't understand the title of this topic, since autopilot works on both Model S and X. The current title implies this thread is about the Model S in rare situations.

I don't think there are situations where autopilot will disengage by itself on the highway in its current form (as long as you keep your hands on the steering wheel). Edgy cases in this stage of autopilot development are (almost) exclusively on local roads (not being highways).
Hi thanks for your response. Yes I understand .Given below is a little more info about my project.
My objective is to formulate a standard definition of Operational Design Domain for level 2 Automated vehicles across all manufacturers. I aim to do so by first understanding the drivers needs and trust in edge cases through controlled on-road tests and then combine it with objective risk measurements using various scientific methodologies. I focus on Tesla, because it has been in the market for more time than the other manufacturers and from prior studies here at the university, it is seen that they perform the best across various situations.

In sum, I have nothing against Tesla or as a matter of fact any vehicle manufacturer and my ultimate aim is to ensure that manufacturers better inform their users which in-turn leads to more road safety over time.

Maybe you can give some more information about your project and why you chose this topic? EDIT: I see you just did while I was writing :) ). Also, I don't understand the title of this topic, since autopilot works on both Model S and X. The current title implies this thread is about the Model S in rare situations. It may not get as many views with the current title.

Are the different levels of ADAS not officially determined? Autonomous car - Wikipedia
Or is this something different?
Hi again,
Since I am new to this group, could you maybe suggest a title that would result in more views? Moreover, there are also edgy cases on the highways, due to various factors such as poor lighting, type of lane marking (especially at exits and on-ramps, where the vehicles can sometimes get confused about which lane marking must be taken as a reference. I am to inspect such peculiarities in my study and attempt to provide recommendations to avoid such problems.

Hi again,
Since I am new to this group, could you maybe suggest a title that would result in more views? Moreover, there are also edgy cases on the highways, due to various factors such as poor lighting, type of lane marking (especially at exits and on-ramps, where the vehicles can sometimes get confused about which lane marking must be taken as a reference. I am to inspect such peculiarities in my study and attempt to provide recommendations to avoid such problems.

Title could be: "Edgy cases for Autopilot on Dutch highways". @widodh could maybe change the title.

Poor lighting is never an issue, since the system only needs the car's headlights. Lane change is different in EU compared to US. Here in EU, you have to touch the steering wheel also (aside from indicating) to initiate a lane change. The current system is not ready for on/off ramps as communicated by Tesla, but will in the nearby future. Tesla has clear instructions when first activating autopilot and every time thereafter, it will tell the driver to hold the steering wheel and pay attention because the driver is still responsible. That could also affect the way people use the system. Including explanations in the car's manual. Sadly, I don't (yet) own a Tesla myself, but I hope I gave you some tips and things to consider. Good luck with your project!

Title could be: "Edgy cases for Autopilot on Dutch highways". @widodh could maybe change the title.

Poor lighting is never an issue, since the system only needs the car's headlights. Lane change is different in EU compared to US. Here in EU, you have to touch the steering wheel also (aside from indicating) to initiate a lane change. The current system is not ready for on/off ramps as communicated by Tesla, but will in the nearby future. Tesla has clear instructions when first activating autopilot and every time thereafter, it will tell the driver to hold the steering wheel and pay attention because the driver is still responsible. That could also affect the way people use the system. Including explanations in the car's manual. Sadly, I don't (yet) own a Tesla myself, but I hope I gave you some tips and things to consider. Good luck with your project!
Yes, indeed your comments are really useful for me to consider during my project. Furthermore, by poor lighting I also refer to improper shadow formation on the road, which can also impair the sensor's functioning.
I hope @widodh would help me with changing the title of the thread. Just a final question for you, if you dont mind. I am also looking into different options while selecting candidate routes for my on-road study. Do you maybe know any particular route in the Netherlands which I must consider given the objective of the project.

Cheers!
Shubham